Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Edit >>> Originally desperate for a rev C MacBook Air thread.

So approximately three weeks ago my entire Mac collection was stolen from my home office. The biggest disappointment was my rev B MacBook Air with SSD was stolen. I believe buying a rev B MBA now would be foolish, as the rev B is now six months old. All Macs lose tremendous value and become a far less desirable purchase after four or five months on the market. The Apple way doesn't reward buyers when component costs drop considerably. For me this is a huge problem.

Normally I buy new Macs within a couple of months of release. I find that my interest to buy drops considerably as soon as a Mac is three months old. I feel that Apple is making the most profit possible the last day before a new release. Components like CPUs may drop 50% in cost for Apple, yet Apple doesn't drop the price of the current Mac until a new model is released and is sold as prior generation on clearance. Usually, Apple releases new Mac notebooks approximately every six months. The rev B MBA was released eight months after the original, but I don't believe that gives the MBA a different trend than the MB or MBP.

Bottom line, after five or six months, Apple must update products or sales drop considerably. Apple's biggest lesson may be related to its desktop offerings. Before the new models of the iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro were introduced two months ago, the previous generation desktops had been on the market for a year or two. Apple's desktop sales had seriously dropped and people absolutely stopped buying Mac desktops and waited for an update.

For me, updating along a schedule of within a few months of a product release, seems like an obvious benefit, and I refuse to pay Apple full price when a product like the rev B MBA is the same price today as it cost six months ago. So, after my entire Mac collection was stolen, I couldn't decide what to do next. I was stuck for three weeks PRAYING for a rev C MBA release.

I did look on the secondary market of buying from Craig's List or eBay. I have found replacement MBAs with the same specs for approximately $2000. It would seem that the reduced price should make up for the aged MBA, but I still am not happy. I find the most value in what is NEW. New technology excites me. Also, I am in love with the MBA form factor. I believe the rev B MBA is the coolest Mac ever. So, why did I purchase a uMB on Craig's List instead of buying another MBA?

The rev C MBA should be released soon. I know many people who think a rev C MBA may be three or four months away, but the case for a June rev C MBA update makes a lot of sense. The SL9600 running at 2.13 GHz was released a month ago. A glass trackpad seems obvious and cannot be a setback. The RAM will probably be 1066 MHz DDR3 and hopefully Apple will opt for two RAM slots rather than soldered on board, but if soldered 4 GB seems obvious. The Nvidia 9400m has been very successful and will most certainly be on the rev C MBA.

What could happen to push an MBA rev C release back? Is there a 256 GB 1.8" 5 MM height SSD available? The 256 GB SSD seems like a natural progression for the rev C MBA, but maybe it isn't available yet. An extended life battery like the new 17" MBP received seems like a definite must for the rev C MBA. The MBA is the most portable Mac yet has the least battery life. Certainly the new battery tech wouldn't hold up the release of the rev C MBA. So, how about the Dell Adamo? Did Adamo, technically taking over the thinnest notebook title, inspire Apple to redesign the MBA? I really hope not, but it is very possible that Apple will release an MBA with a different form factor. We all know the MBA feels smaller than Adamo, but at its thickest point, the MBA is thicer than Adamo. I really hope that Apple is as happy with the MBA's form factor as all of us MBA fans.

So, I bought a unibody MacBook off Craig's List yesterday. It was a dirt cheap bargain purchase. I couldn't believe just how low the price was. At $900 with the additions, a unibody MB has to last me until the rev C MBA is released. I wanted to buy a MacBook Air, but I didn't feel I would be happy with any MBA except the 1.86 GHz SSD model which I owned. For me, it seemed dumb to buy that when the rev C MBA is probably less than a few months away but maybe as many as four. So, until the rev C MBA is released, I will be using a MB.

I am desperate for a rev C MBA. Anyone else out there stuck at this time? I think waiting for the rev C MBA will definitely be worth the wait versus buying a rev B now.

So, Apple, please just go ahead and start anew with a Thursday release schedule and introduce the rev C MBA tomorrow. I really want to give Apple some more money, please Apple take it! I would even pay $3k for the following rev C MBA (I am hopeful for the same $2499 price tag):

13.3" Display without lines
2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SL9600 CPU
4 GB RAM (or better yet two RAM slots accepting up to 8 GB RAM)
Nvidia 9400m
256 GB SSD (and a universal SATA connector would be great)
New battery technology as introduced in the 17" uMBP
Glass Trackpad

Anyone else desperate for the rev C MacBook Air? Do you own a rev B MBA? Or do you own an original MBA and waiting for the rev C MBA? Anyone expecting an MBA with different components than I listed?

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Definitely! I need the prices of used RevB's to drop a little more before I pick one up. Maybe they'll even make the RevC's cheaper and I can just buy a new one.

Sdancott

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Oh my god yes. I'm desperate too.

I need a new MacBook for my postgrad course in September. I've fallen in love with the Air, but i know it's unwise to buy now.

I'd rather hang on a few months and buy the next revision. looking on in lust for a few months is far better than living with the regret from buying on impulse.

Your post has made me feel a lot better about waiting...Hopefully the wait won't be too long!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Get a MacBook Pro :)

For me, this is the absolute worst time to buy a 15.4" MacBook Pro. It has been out nearly seven months. The 17" MBP has an eight-hour battery and supports 8 GB of RAM. The very next revision of the 15.4" MBP will definitely support 8 GB of RAM in the $1999 option. In addition, it will absolutely have the new battery technology used in the 17." While it may not last a full eight hours in the 15" model, it will certainly last six real hours. That is DOUBLE the current. Waiting for a 15" MBP will lead to a much better value.

Am I the only person who thinks this way? For me the best solution was the cheapest solution while waiting for a rev C MacBook Air (the Mac notebook I truly want). I don't want to end up with two MacBook Airs now, while my kids need a replacement Mac notebook too. I bought a unibody MacBook for $900 with a lot of extras. Seems like the perfect solution while waiting without spending over $2k for a rev B MBA that I will just want to replace with the newer model. My kids wouldn't need a rev B MBA either, as this MB will be fine for them.

This little unibody MB is actually ok. Not nearly as fast as the rev B MBA with 1.86 GHz CPU and SSD, but it's not miserable to use. I tried a rev B MBA with 1.6 and HDD, but I was used to the speed of the SSD. Like I stated earlier, for me buying as close to day after release is the best time, so any money spent now is just to get me by until the release date. The display on this unibody MacBook is pathetic, and it feels like a brick compared to the MBA, but it is ok to use for a few months.

I just feel desperate to get a new MacBook Air, but I feel it is most sensible to wait for the rev C MBA.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I'm really sorry that your MBA got stolen. You've been a vocal supporter of the rev B on these boards for quite a while now.

Bummer. :mad:

I think you did the best thing for now. It would be hard to replace what you had and then have some new toy come out soon.

For me the 256GB SSD would be the sticking point. A rev C with all the other improvements and same 128GB SSD would not be that compelling. That might drive me to a refurbed B hopefully with the refurbed A's current pricing.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
So approximately three weeks ago my entire Mac collection was stolen from my home office. The biggest disappointment was my rev B MacBook Air with SSD was stolen.
That sucks. :mad:

The rev C MBA should be released soon. I know many people who think a rev C MBA may be three or four months away, but the case for a June rev C MBA update makes a lot of sense. The SL9600 running at 2.13 GHz was released a month ago. A glass trackpad seems obvious and cannot be a setback. The RAM will probably be 1066 MHz DDR3 and hopefully Apple will opt for two RAM slots rather than soldered on board, but if soldered 4 GB seems obvious. The Nvidia 9400m has been very successful and will most certainly be on the rev C MBA.

What could happen to push an MBA rev C release back?
There will be a 40 nm integrated GPU to succeed the 9400M soon (mid-year I think). Maybe Apple is waiting for that? Also, Apple may be waiting for the regular Core 2 Duo bumps so they can update all the notebook lines at once. I haven't heard of a 1.8" 256 GB SSD that is thin enough to fit into the MacBook Air. If Apple is going to add the glass trackpad and possibly other improvements (carbon fiber?), then maybe they might also do a small redesign of the case to make it thinner than the Adamo.

The very next revision of the 15.4" MBP will definitely support 8 GB of RAM in the $1999 option. In addition, it will absolutely have the new battery technology used in the 17." While it may not last a full eight hours in the 15" model, it will certainly last six real hours.
Plus it'll have the 1000 charges and 5 years features too.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I'm pretty sure that the Rev B MBA already has the glass trackpad. I remember them saying this when in the keynote when it was released. It just doesn't have the buttonless trackpad like the MB and MBP likely because it wouldn't fit.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I'm pretty sure that the Rev B MBA already has the glass trackpad. I remember them saying this when in the keynote when it was released. It just doesn't have the buttonless trackpad like the MB and MBP likely because it wouldn't fit.
the current one doesn't have a glass trackpad. It's still aluminium.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Definitely agree with all your points. Seem like a Rev.C MBA with the specs you stated is inevitable. 2GB max is unacceptable in 2009.

Sorry for your loss, bro. Hope you get a nice, new machine soon.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I've been waiting for a rev C for quite a long time. My MB + MBA is holding me over until then, but it would be nice to simplify things with just one machine instead of syncing between two all the time. The 256 gig drive isn't a deal breaker for me, as I'm fine with a 128 gig SSD, but if Apple cheaps out with only 2 gigs of ram again, I'll take my business elsewhere. This fall with Windows 7 likely to come out, Apple will need to do much more to compete.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Definitely agree with all your points. Seem like a Rev.C MBA with the specs you stated is inevitable. 2GB max is unacceptable in 2009.

Sorry for your loss, bro. Hope you get a nice, new machine soon.

Thanks to all who feel my pain. It really sucks! Nothing I can do but learn from it.

Going to the RAM, I think Apple really should rethink its soldering the RAM on the MBA. The target buyers for the MBA are people who can afford and want more RAM in their Mac. I don't think most need 4 GB of RAM, but why not let people decide for themselves how much RAM they need. Make it BTO and profit from it. I really want two RAM slots and capability for 8 GB of RAM in the next MBA. It will not cost Apple any more to make that happen.

But, the problem with that is people will be happy with their MBA for a longer period of time. The Apple way is to make people have to upgrade every couple of years.

Could you all imagine a rev C MacBook Air with 2.13 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GPU, 256 GB SSD, glass trackpad, and six hour battery! We would be set for three or four years! As much as I love new things, I think the MBA would be nearly perfect with its current form factor and the ideal components I have envisioned for the rev C MBA especially with the ability to put 8 GB of RAM in it a year down the road when 8 GB of RAM costs us $200. Would easily add another year or two of useful life to the MBA.

Then, throw Snow Leopard on top of that, WOW! Fun fun fun.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
In addition, it will absolutely have the new battery technology used in the 17." While it may not last a full eight hours in the 15" model, it will certainly last six real hours. That is DOUBLE the current. Waiting for a 15" MBP will lead to a much better value.
Highly doubt it. If they were going to give it the integrated battery, they would have done so in October. The 17" is ideal for an integrated battery, as it's a desktop replacement. The 15" however, fits a different target market. It's one of the most portable 15" notebooks in the world, and as such people want easy access to the battery to extend their productivity.

Not to mention the pointlessness of designing a battery removal system, with elegant access to hard drives and memory and spending millions in R&D only to scrap it a few months later. No, as much as I'd love one, the integrated battery looks like it will be exclusive to the 17".

And the current Macbook Pro already gets 5 real hours of battery life. With the screen about 3/4 brightness, wifi on and general web browsing you will easily get at least 4-4.5 hours.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Aww, you don't have ANY insurance for it? No compensation over lost goods? Killer.

MBs aren't bad, I'm waiting out Rev C MBA, though.

robindahlia789

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
even though

i just got a umb. and wouldn't consider an air just yet. but you made very strong points and wrote out a good post. can only hope though

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Highly doubt it. If they were going to give it the integrated battery, they would have done so in October. The 17" is ideal for an integrated battery, as it's a desktop replacement. The 15" however, fits a different target market. It's one of the most portable 15" notebooks in the world, and as such people want easy access to the battery to extend their productivity.

Not to mention the pointlessness of designing a battery removal system, with elegant access to hard drives and memory and spending millions in R&D only to scrap it a few months later. No, as much as I'd love one, the integrated battery looks like it will be exclusive to the 17".

And the current Macbook Pro already gets 5 real hours of battery life. With the screen about 3/4 brightness, wifi on and general web browsing you will easily get at least 4-4.5 hours.

When the Lithium Polymer batteries (the current ones) were introduced, the 17" MBP got it first, followed by the 15" and then the MB. It seems very obvious to me that Apple will absolutely include it in the next 15" MBP. I could be wrong, but remember it was three months after the 15" MBP was released that the 17" MBP was ANNOUNCED... It took another month-and-half before started shipping. I would put money on it that the next 15" MBP update includes the battery technology. It may not have an eight-hour battery, but it will be extended and part of that is the way the battery recharges. And the battery will last three times longer with the new technology.

And, a big LOL about the current 15" uMBP having a five-hour battery. Very funny. Most will agree three is pushing it, some can get more by barely using it at all. My MBPs, even when new got no more than three hours. Maybe by turning off everything and letting it sit in standby mode, maybe... LOL.

I predict that the new technology will make its way into the 15" MBP and the MBA. While it may not allow double the use time like the 17" MBP as the 17" provides a lot of space, and the battery is 1/4 the total weight. Surely Apple will not allow a 4 lbs MBA, but if it can fit more battery into the same space by using non-cylinder shaped cells in there, they will do it to add some power which could add a real two hours maybe even on the MBA. I also don't believe the numbers on Apple's report of usage time between charges, but several people have indicated the new 17" is closer to actual time. And it's BS to have to turn down the display to 10% brightness, turn off Bluetooth, Wireless Card, and etc to give the current times (I know I am exaggerating here).

The new battery may not make its way to the MacBook, but I would guess with 95% certainty that the 15" MBP gets it. And I am about 75% certain the MBA will get it. These are both premium products, and the actual cost cannot add that much for Apple yet Apple can give its users a much better performance by doing it. These things are always a guarantee by Apple.

Apple determines ways to amaze people that cost it literally pennies more than conventional components. Let's take the glass trackpad. One, that glass probably costs Apple five cents to make and paint. Then, it saves by not having buttons. The glass trackpad actually probably saves Apple money or costs it very little over the traditional trackpad found on previous generation MBs and MBPs.

Next, think of the backlit keyboard. An LED light costs pennies. Throw in four LEDs for the keyboard, and for under a dollar, Apple adds much greater value for the end user as a premium feature forcing buyers to upgrade to get it. In the MB it costs $300 more for the model with backlit keyboard (and of course that is not all one gets for $300, but it may be the deal maker in selling a heck of a lot more high-end MBs).

How about the aluminum. Now, certainly it costs Apple money to cut the aluminum and costs Apple money to ship the aluminum and etc, but actual cost of aluminum is $0.67 lb. http://www.infomine.com/investment/historicalcharts/showcharts.asp?c=Aluminum
Say there are a full two pounds of aluminum, that's $1.34! Makes one wonder why all computer companies don't do this. I know why! The average consumer wants durability more than beauty. And plastic cases or composite cases like those used in Dell, Sony, or HP don't dent completely with a bump into a corner; and a drop from the coffee table to the floor shouldn't cost the average consumer $900 to repair. This is something where us Apple fans are paying a LOT MORE MONEY for the beauty of the aluminum, but not just that, it's the innovation as no other company does it. And it actually helps with the heat. Here is a win-win-win for Apple.

Let's talk about internal components. The Macs used to be top notch components inside them and that allowed consumers to say "well you get what you pay for." That is NOT the case with Macs from the last three years, other than the Mac Pro. Look at the CPU and clock speeds. Apple is spending less now than ever on the CPUs. There are much nicer CPUs available for the Mac notebooks, yet Apple has stuck with Core 2 Duo and around 2.4 GHz for the MBP for THREE YEARS! The MB has has a slower CPU than it did 18 months ago. It was 2.1 and 2.4 GHz, now is 2.0 and 2.4 GHz, and they cost more to get the 2.4 GHz. How about the iMac. Apple could have a full line of Nehalem desktop computers right now if it used the desktop Core i7 CPU in the iMacs. Why in the world would Apple do this, to save money. The problem is that Apple is doing this to force people to upgrade their Macs sooner. We are all a bunch of suckers who do it too!

I believe Apple has grown accustomed to larger margins like it has with the iPods and iPhones. Since Apple has learned that these large margins are available it needs to make those on the Macs to be happy. What it has done is reduce the money spent on components via making them more about beauty than power. That has saved Apple a fortune, and the only real Mac to get CPU upgrades in years has been the Mac Pro, and Apple charged outrageous upgrade prices to get similar clock speed Nehalem Mac Pros as the prior generation Mac Pro. Again, looks like Apple trying to make maximum return on every single Mac. The problem is when will this actually hurt Apple's reputation? To me it is already. I am really frustrated with Apple for the way it does business. I love Apple products, but I really wonder sometimes if running OS X is truly worth it. I know the Macs are amazing to look at, but I cannot say the performance of OS X is that much better than Windows 7. At the same time, I love iLife 09, and I do love the OS X user interface (but I don't feel it's as solid/stable anymore as I have had plenty of problems).

I love Apple products, but I wish Apple would care more about its Mac customers. I feel that Apple Macs no longer provide great value because the computers are underperforming compared to PCs at 1/3 of the cost. But I am a sucker, and I will continue to buy Apple products. However, having all of my Macs stolen has really made me aware of what it costs me to run OS X over Windows 7. I do believe Microsoft is hitting the target perfectly with its newest advertisements. It makes a lot of sense, especially in economic times like these, to save a small fortune and buy a PC. It has made me really think!

I would love to see Apple change gears with this economy. I think if Apple finally saw the numbers slide, we would all benefit with true upgrades to Macs in the coming couple of years. I think where Apple has turned heads and made switchers come over, the economy may force them back to PCs when it's time for a new computer.

We are all lucky to be Mac owners. For some, there is no choice. I just wish Apple would respect its customers as much as its customers respect and cherish it. I wish that Apple would give us what we pay for... top notch everything! Top notch components, innovative technologies, and a REAL REASON TO BELIEVE in everything Mac. That would make me feel like it's truly worth it, because sometimes I do wonder. Having all of my Macs stolen was really a loss, because I am looking at what it would cost to replace everything with PCs, and the differences are incredible... many thousands of dollars!

I feel fortunate to be able to afford a Mac, iPhone, and iPod. I know everyone is not so lucky.

I guess that is it, we are all fortunate to be able to afford the extra costs of buying Apple products.

Let's all hope Apple rewards us in the near future with an amazing rev C MacBook Air filling our every need and wish!

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
i just got a umb. and wouldn't consider an air just yet. but you made very strong points and wrote out a good post. can only hope though

My first Apple computer was a Rev A 1.6/80 Air, it was plagued with heating issues and Apple fixed it by sending me a Rev B 1.86 Air and since the hdd was delayed, they gave me ssd for free. Unfortunately that Air had the lines and I was not happy although I got a free upgrade. I sold the Rev B ssd for $2100 and bought a Unibody Macbook 2.4 with 4gigs of ram. I have been completely happy with this purchase until lately when I walked in a Starbucks and saw everyone with a unibody Macbook and just one brave soul with the Air. I thought to myself, that was me at one point. I miss the Air, I took it out just to take it out. With the Macbook, when I wanna take it out, for a split second I think about the weight. Also, although it's lighter than the last Macbook, carrying an Air around and then a Macbook is like carrying a comic book and then switching to carrying two Bibles and a copy of War & Peace. I love the power of the Macbook and how I don't have to watch for heating issues and video stuttering. Even with the Rev B ssd, I experienced minor stuttering on hd although it was a vast improvement from the Rev A. I cannot wait for the Rev C. I will be the first on line while my unibody sits at home awaiting a buyer from eBay.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Aww, you don't have ANY insurance for it? No compensation over lost goods? Killer.

MBs aren't bad, I'm waiting out Rev C MBA, though.

My homeowner's insurance claims that they are for business use since I am a consultant and refused to pay.

I agree with MacBook Air, as I bought that with business card. But the other two and ACD were all bought personally, and the MBP was used primarily by kids.

According to insurance, if use for business have to have separate policy on it.

This unibody MB I am using is so much nicer than the Dell Inspiron I used for two plus weeks trying to decide how to proceed. Was a very tough decision to not just rebuy a rev B MBA. I guess if the insurance would have paid for it all, I would have repurchased all without a thought. Right now, coming out of my own pocket, right after I paid my taxes, it's tough to replace them all.

Good knowledge for everyone.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My first Apple computer was a Rev A 1.6/80 Air, it was plagued with heating issues and Apple fixed it by sending me a Rev B 1.86 Air and since the hdd was delayed, they gave me ssd for free. Unfortunately that Air had the lines and I was not happy although I got a free upgrade. I sold the Rev B ssd for $2100 and bought a Unibody Macbook 2.4 with 4gigs of ram. I have been completely happy with this purchase until lately when I walked in a Starbucks and saw everyone with a unibody Macbook and just one brave soul with the Air. I thought to myself, that was me at one point. I miss the Air, I took it out just to take it out. With the Macbook, when I wanna take it out, for a split second I think about the weight. Also, although it's lighter than the last Macbook, carrying an Air around and then a Macbook is like carrying a comic book and then switching to carrying two Bibles and a copy of War & Peace. I love the power of the Macbook and how I don't have to watch for heating issues and video stuttering. Even with the Rev B ssd, I experienced minor stuttering on hd although it was a vast improvement from the Rev A. I cannot wait for the Rev C. I will be the first on line while my unibody sits at home awaiting a buyer from eBay.

The revision C MacBook Air should be amazing as long as Apple doesn't change the form factor. I would hate to see Apple make it thinner and sacrifice power. I love how it's essentially the power of the MB, yet super portable. Truly amazing.

I understand exactly how you feel about not having an MBA. I feel the same way right now. I refused to take my 6 yr old Dell Inspiron anywhere for the last three weeks while trying to determine what to replace my MBA with. I have a unibody MB now, and I doubt I will take it anywhere. When going to client offices, I have been logging on over the Internet and getting files, and I have been using client computers for presentations and etc. I just don't feel it's worth it to carry around the unibody MB. Even though it's 4.5 lbs, it does feel like carrying two bibles and War and Peace instead of MacWorld magazine. I know it's all in my head, but it's so very true. The MacBook Air is so amazing! This is why I don't want Apple to make it thinner and give up power. Then I will feel it isn't worth it if not as powerful.

ercanbas

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
The revision C MacBook Air should be amazing as long as Apple doesn't change the form factor. I would hate to see Apple make it thinner and sacrifice power. I love how it's essentially the power of the MB, yet super portable. Truly amazing.

I understand exactly how you feel about not having an MBA. I feel the same way right now. I refused to take my 6 yr old Dell Inspiron anywhere for the last three weeks while trying to determine what to replace my MBA with. I have a unibody MB now, and I doubt I will take it anywhere. When going to client offices, I have been logging on over the Internet and getting files, and I have been using client computers for presentations and etc. I just don't feel it's worth it to carry around the unibody MB. Even though it's 4.5 lbs, it does feel like carrying two bibles and War and Peace instead of MacWorld magazine. I know it's all in my head, but it's so very true. The MacBook Air is so amazing! This is why I don't want Apple to make it thinner and give up power. Then I will feel it isn't worth it if not as powerful.

Feels like we left two amazing girlfriends that we miss dearly now. One day my friend, we will have them back...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Feels like we left two amazing girlfriends that we miss dearly now. One day my friend, we will have them back...

Hopefully really soon. LOL. The form factor makes that analogy seem really funny.

I agree. With patience, we shall be rewarded loyal Apple junkies.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
All Macs lose tremendous value and become a far less desirable purchase after four or five months on the market.

I'm sorry but you're way wrong with this statement. Macs hold their value quite well. I sold my 5 year old 17" Powerbook on Ebay for $900. I sold my 3 year old dual 2.3Ghz PowerMac G5 with Cinema Display on Craigstlist (which I paid $2700) for $1900. Both items were sold AFTER Apple switched to Intel.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'm sorry but you're way wrong with this statement. Macs hold their value quite well. I sold my 5 year old 17" Powerbook on Ebay for $900. I sold my 3 year old dual 2.3Ghz PowerMac G5 with Cinema Display on Craigstlist (which I paid $2700) for $1900. Both items were sold AFTER Apple switched to Intel.

No, I didn't mean it like it reads. For me personally, the Macs lose tremendous value after five months on the market. I want brand new technology. I want to buy it when it's NEW. I feel Apple's system really sucks when they sell the same Mac mini for two years for $599 and $799. Two years down the road, Apple is paying a fraction of the price for those components, yet Apple still charges the exact same price. The value I am stating is in terms of my perceived value for what I get for my money. NOT what the resale value is on the market.

Obviously, Apple Macs have great resale value. But for me personally, I refuse to pay the same price six months later that I could have bought a Mac for six months earlier. Surely most of us feel this perceived value. This is why people stop buying Macs after four or five months. We all spend time on these forums waiting for rumors of the next update to the Mac we want. When it's released, we buy then.

I always want to buy within two months of a released Mac, otherwise I feel it's wasted money for outdated technology. More than ever, I feel right now is a terrible time to buy a Mac notebook. The perceived value for me is ridiculously low, because I expect a long life battery in the next MBP and MBA. I expect a 2.13 GHz CPU in a MBA. I expect a 256 GB SSD in a MBA. I expect 4 GB of RAM. I expect a glass trackpad.

If I buy now, the value versus waiting a few weeks is terrible. It's like buying a six month or seven month old Mac notebook for FULL PRICE. So it's about PERCEIVED VALUE and has NOTHING to do with RESALE VALUE.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
My homeowner's insurance claims that they are for business use since I am a consultant and refused to pay.

And if it hadn't been that, it'd be because you have red hair. Or maybe you don't, but they suspect you of once having dyed it red in college. Or maybe they can't be certain that you weren't somehow behind the Kennedy assassination.

I say this, and my wife works for an insurance company. They'll do almost anything to get out of paying.

Sorry you lost your stuff. I'm eyeing the rev B lately (had a rev A about a year ago, not overly impressed), thinking the same as you about waiting for a (hopefully) soon-to-be-released rev C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.