MacBook Air Reviews Roundup: 'Best Computer for Most People' Again After 2018 Refresh

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's embargo lifted today on the first full-length reviews of the new MacBook Air ahead of the notebook's release on Wednesday.

[​IMG]
    The new MacBook Air via The Verge

The new MacBook Air features a faster 1.6GHz dual-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, a Retina display, up to 16GB of RAM, up to 1.5TB of SSD storage, and Intel UHD Graphics 617. It also has Touch ID, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and the same third-generation butterfly keyboard as the latest MacBook Pro.

Review Highlights

The Verge's Dieter Bohn:
    And:
    Wired's Lauren Goode:
    Daring Fireball's John Gruber:
    TechCrunch's Brian Heater:
    Engadget's Dana Wollman:
    Six Colors's Jason Snell:
    AppleInsider's Andrew O'Hara:
    Review and Unboxing Videos

More Reviews
    CNET's Dan Ackerman
    Macworld's Jason Cross
    Mashable's Pete Pachal
    CNBC's Todd Haselton
    USA TODAY's Ed Baig
    Laptop Mag's Henry T. CaseyThe new MacBook Air is available to order on Apple.com, with deliveries to customers and in-store availability starting tomorrow. The notebook now starts at $1,199, while Apple continues to sell the previous-generation model for $999.

Article Link: MacBook Air Reviews Roundup: 'Best Computer for Most People' Again After 2018 Refresh

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Most people need 256GB of storage rather than 128GB.

Most sane people would completely balk at that being a $200 upgrade cost.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

And the last good Macbook keyboard dies.

I really hope that karma revisits whichever executive ruined my computing experience with the butterfly horror show.

4. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

The base flash storage configuration for the 13-inch MacBook Air since 2010. A progress!

[​IMG]

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Every Mac in Apple's base configurations should start at 256Gb IMO. It's not 2012 any more..... Flash storage has gotten alot cheaper. I can pick up a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe drive for about $250..... That's about what apple charges for an extra 128gb and they made sure it was non usee upgradable.....

So yes I agree with you.... Most sane people should stay away unitl Apple decides it can't keep raising prices to offset declining/stagnant sales.

6. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Are they thinking about phasing out the silver finish? Most if not all reviewers got space gray or the new gold color. Anyway, that is totally not worth its inflated price.

7. Smeaton1724, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Whilst in my mind 128GB is too low for a machine of this cost 128GB is fine for some and the 1199 price is great for marketing it as ''The new Macbook Air is at a lower price than the Macbook 12''. The reality is that 256GB is a reasonable amount of space to have without needing additional drives plugged in all of the time and more practical for long term ownership, that model is 1399 - 150 more than the Macbook 12'', which was overpriced to start with.

The reviewers don't seem to have taken the 128GB in the base Macbook Air 13.3'' versus the 256GB in the Macbook 12'' in to account. I'm guessing it is because the review models they have been sent will be the maxed out storage option and reviewers don't care. The Macbook 12'' isn't dead at all, it is being used to leverage buyers up to that 1399 price point.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't mind the price.

Nor the Keyboard.

Couldn't give a toss about the (lack of) ports.

But I'm still not sold on that 7W CPU.

Waiting for some more reviews, based on a bit more extended testing...

...while I'm cuddling my 2010 11" MBA, hoping it will stay alive until WWDC -19. :)

9. Zackmd1, Nov 6, 2018

Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

But think about in just a year of using a 128Gb drive. I would bet that most everyone would have filled that space and it's non user upgradable meaning you are sol.... On a $1200 machine that's barely faster then the 3 year old device it's "replacing" (even though they are still selling a 3 year old laptop at the same price????)

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

just because its fine doesn't make it a good decision on apples part to nickel and dime people once again. Apple needs to be making people happier and this is a nice start to doing so with memory in all devices all around the board. But nope same storage as a 2010 MacBook. Technology has exploded since 2010 and a base storage of 256 should be the normal. Not twice the storage as a cell phone.

11. intelligence macrumors regular

12. Tanax macrumors 6502a

This is exactly my view as well. Price is OK. Keyboard is AWESOME. Ports are great (TB3 is the future). But the CPU just seems... weak :/ I also think that it's 2018, it should come with 256GB SSD as standard - but OK.

13. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I agree, I couldn't get by on 128GB. For my uses 256GB is a minimum.

128GB at the 1199 pricepoint is a marketing move. People will read reviews ''Macbook Air better than Macbook'', go in to the Apple store and then drop 1399 on more storage, instead of buying the 1249 Macbook 12''.

14. Mac Fly (film), Nov 6, 2018

Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

[8 GB / 256 GB model starts from €1,629]

If you can afford it, don’t wish for your keyboard to be quiet and feel satisfying, and don’t mind needing a cable every time you wish to import photos from a DSLR. Also, the two Thunderbolt ports are too close together for many uses [something Apple could have avoided easily]. What is it with Apple notebook designers being so anti-user?

To be fair to Apple, though, I can understand why the price went up. After all, they now only make a mere profit of $1B every 6 and a half days [yes, profit].

I’m sure Jony Ive can afford these products, with his chauffeur-driven Bentley, and his $17M town house. Which he bought for design reasons, of course. How quaint.

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Reviews are OK but not great. I wonder what the reviews and scores would be like if this product was called something other than MacBook Air.

16. mrklaw macrumors 68020

seems a really weak update. Barely any faster than the previous one but still price goes up by $200, still stuck on dual core even though the chassis should handle 15W chips and Intel have had 15W quad core CPUs for a year now, still 128GB base storage and overpriced to upgrade.

Same with ipad pro - some design tweaks and the usual CPU bump and those have gone up by $200.

This year is basically apple just making $200 more from everyone when the hardware is probably flat in terms of BOM

17. Amorun macrumors member

Yes. Honestly, it doesn't look pretty. Remember 16 Gb option almost eternal persistence in iPhone's lineup? The same case. It's all about profit, even at the cost of company's image, IMHO.

18. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

For $100 more you can get a MBP with a better screen and it weighs only .25 a lbs more.

19. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

But that has an outdated processor and the faulty 2017 keyboard.

20. Edsel macrumors 6502

I believe Apple, as well as Microsoft and others, will push smaller SSD's to encourage cloud storage. There's a lot of data to monetize from consumers storing data on their servers. As 5G rolls out you'll see fewer and fewer local storage options for mass market notebooks/tablets/phones.

21. Amorun macrumors member

I wonder, how hot and loud may this one be when running Virtual Machine...

22. garethjs macrumors 6502a

I ordered it without doing much research.
    It’s arriving tomorrow and needless to say I’m returning it straight away

No Truetone, slightly faster than the older Air, not as bright. Verges review confirmed all of this.

I’m giving the iPad Pro a go again.

If that doesn’t work I’ll get the entry level MacBook Pro which for the same cost outperforms this 2018 Air

Don’t need the touchbar

23. kingax1 macrumors newbie

I dont think the 128gb would have been a big deal if at least they offered a microsd slot so we can drop in our junk media files. No memory slot on iPhones...I get it....no slot on iPad...I sorta get it....but really doesnt make sense why apple still needs to enforce this concept on their laptops other that forcing user upgrades at such extraordinary profitable margins.

24. intelligence macrumors regular

Why give the iPad Pro a try again? It's the same gimped OS as before.

25. Amorun macrumors member

I think they're creating a win-win situation for themselves: buy our cloud storage monthly or pay some heavy extra for SSD size upgrade, because it's the real art - to be able to handle these tiny basic options.