Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094654-mba.jpg

CNet reports that Apple will be updating the MacBook Air this June with Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors.
The MacBook Air refresh is expected in June, according to a source familiar with Apple's plans.
Sandy Bridge is the latest processor from Intel and would represent a significant upgrade for Apple's MacBook Air. The MacBook Air has been a generation behind in terms of Intel's processors.

It's believed that Apple chose to stick with Intel's Core 2 Duo processor in the MacBook Air because they could pair it with the more powerful NVIDIA integrated graphics chip rather than Intel's less powerful solution. With Sandy Bridge, however, Intel has upgraded their integrated graphics hardware performance to be more on par with NVIDIA's. CNet believes that the expected MacBook Pro updates may come earlier and are not necessarily tied with the MacBook Air revision.

Article Link: MacBook Air 'Sandy Bridge' Update in June?

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
The MBA is looking better an better. Only problem is waiting.
Guess I should put the money I'd pay for one now in Apple stock and be able to get a better model when it's refreshed.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I think this will mean more for the PR machine than the average user. It's not like they'll be putting a quad core i7 in the MBA's, so the better chip with worse graphics isn't a big deal for a lot of applications. I'm not banking on it happening in June, but we shall see I guess :)

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm most interested in seeing a DVD-less 15" MacBook Pro come to market with Sandy Bridge.

It doesnt have to be as thin as the MBA, but they can save lots of space and weight without that near worthless internal drive.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm sold. I couldn't quite justify going with an MBA that was slower than my current 2009 MBP. Once these come out, I'm upgrading.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
That totally sucks for those of us who took the initial leap.
Apple has a lot on their plate right now, seems unlikely to come out 6 months after the initial release of the product.

MacRumors is usually is on the cutting edge of hear say and innuendo, so I'm not going to get to upset at this point.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Hopefully they correct their stupid mistake to leave the backlit keyboard out in the same run (stupid at least in my opinion and please don't tell me to learn to type again) - than I can finally upgrade from my old MBA, which is running low on SSD space and has always been low on RAM (more of that would be nice, too).

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
And I just got my Air...

Eh. It's fast enough. I don't do heavy computing so no biggie. Air's seem to hold their value anyway so if I really want it I won't take much of a loss on my current Air.

Dougyfresh1

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It'd be crazy to have a better graphics card in those if they charge the same prices still, I work at best buy and a few of our macs have Steam on them, the 11" air is one of them, and we have portal running on it and at absolute FULL specs on the 11" you can still pull down 20-30 FPS, I about crapper my pants when I saw that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.