Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Love the thought and look of the Joli, but I don't travel with mine enough to warrant a $100 sleeve. I have an iCarbons skin on the bottom and keyboard to protect from scratches anyway.

I think I'm going to just get a Targus Quash sleeve for $15 from Amazon for travel inside my backpack. I use it (the backpack) both for school and travel and that's the only time the MBA leaves my house anyhow. Just need something that inserts from the top so I don't have to take the case out and then take the Air out of it.

EDIT - ordered it, will see how it turns out.

It might even leave room for a cased ipad mini in it since it's designed for full-size (or full thickness) laptop. We'll see..won't have one until the 2 is announced, or at least until Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T5CUFM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1XBPHGHAXLHDG

41ieSj5MiJL.jpg

Last edited:

jbrettz

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
St Louis
Check out sfbags.com. Made in sf high quality. They stand behind their products. Have YouTube videos. I have the smart sleeve. Love it

zvandiver

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Check out sfbags.com. Made in sf high quality. They stand behind their products. Have YouTube videos. I have the smart sleeve. Love it
I second the sfbags.com recommendation. I had the SleeveCase for my 2010 11" and got a new one for my 2013 13". Outstanding quality and customer service.

Onno

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
Eindhoven
I had a hard time deciding, but went with the textured black with aqua for both. I'll put up some pictures when they get here :)

Nice!! Did you receive it? I'm thinking about getting a smooth one for my iPad mini, the grey one looks quite awesome. One disadvantage, if I like it I'll have to get one for my MBA too ;)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Package from Hong Kong arrived.

Okay, ebay link posted two comments below. 11" 'carbon fiber' hard case from ryanshop in Hong Kong.

$29.99 each, with free shipping from HK, roughly 10 days to get here.
Not carbon fiber per se, but a 2 piece 'polycarbonate plastic fiber protector'. I.E., plastic shell with molded top imitating carbon fiber. Similar to the case from ion-factory, but at roughly 40% the cost.

Bottom piece looks to be similar to speck satin case. You know, a finger print magnet. Maybe not quite as translucent.

Top piece is made to look like carbon fiber, and it is much more protective. It is a stealth case, which means you cannot see the apple shining through. It's also my preference.

The top and bottom seperate pieces are held on by roughly four tabs apiece gripping either the corners or sides of the screen and/or body of the Air. The bottom piece required me to lengthen the left hand cutout to accommodate the second microphone on my 2013 model. Accomplished with a decent pair of scissors and a bit of brute force, but the alteration doesn't draw attention to itself.

Not real carbon fiber, so the case isn't bullet proof. I'd say it's lighter and thinner than the Speck Satin case, and probably doesn't offer as much protection for an actual drop or fall. But it may offer some limited protection against the dreaded corner dent. And the carbon fiber top piece doesn't show prints or smudges at all. Take that, Speck!

Fit and finish is decent. Not the most snug case; but holds on well enough, and is easily removed and reinstalled. And if you're super anal-retentive, it can also be used with even a carbon fiber skin on the the top and bottom for dual fake carbon fiber protection.

I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. People will definitely think you spent more than $30 on this. It's a stealth case, which means you can't see the glowing fruit through the top piece. And despite it being very thin and light, it does offer protection against scratches and maybe less severe drops and falls. I won't think twice about throwing this inside of a briefcase or backpack.

Hopefully my crappy pics are included, despite my SLOW office internet connection. If not, they'll be included later on from my home. Keep in mind, the kit does not have the carbon fiber skin you see on the palm rest and around the keyboard; I've got a fiber skin on my Air underneath the case.

I'd like to say that this case will be just fine for the average consumer with its capabilities for the price, but that would then mean mine is less special. So, DO NOT BUY THIS CASE!;)

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Sassers

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Nice!! Did you receive it? I'm thinking about getting a smooth one for my iPad mini, the grey one looks quite awesome. One disadvantage, if I like it I'll have to get one for my MBA too ;)

I just got back from a trip out of town, so I'm slow in answering - my apologies! I did receive both the MBA sleeve and the iPad mini sleeve and love them! Especially the mini's sleeve. The leather is so soft & the fit is perfect. I realized that for traveling, I would be better served with a sleeve/case style with a shoulder strap for the MBA, so got the Waterfield case from sfbags.com for that. The mini in its Joli sleeve slipped perfectly in the case's side pocket, so it worked out well.

----------

Received my Joli sleeve brown/orange....amazing quality and top service from Harold!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/g708.jpg/

I couldn't believe their amazing customer service and fast responses to shipping and questions. I love dealing with companies who take pride in their work, turn out beautiful items, and take care of their customers.

acore

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Great thread and some very helpful post, I especially like the RadTech ScreenSavrz.

ZYK9U96.jpg

I have been in search of an ideal MacBook Air sleeve, while there are many nice options here. The Drake Sleeve is a nice option but I like an elegant blend of waterproof wool tweed and leather.

Thus far I have found the Cherchbi 13″ Laptop Sleeve, Herdwyck:

FRdrgcR.jpg

fvOwmP8.jpg

Any other tweed & leather MacBook Air sleeve options out there? please post them.

acore

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I just placed an order for the RadTech ScreenSavrz in black for my new MacBook Air.

Now, I just have to find a sleeve, if I don't find anything better then the Cherchbi 13″ Laptop Sleeve, Herdwyck, I'll just end up buying this one.

Great thread and some very helpful post, I especially like the RadTech ScreenSavrz.

Last edited:

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I am looking for the best hardshell case for my 13" MBA... :D

Any thoughts regarding Speck 13" SmartShell Satin vs Radtech STM grip vs Moshi iGlaze ?

Also, could some owners confirm if the Radtech ScreenSavrz fits perfectly inside the 13" MBA?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I am looking for the best hardshell case for my 13" MBA... :D

Any thoughts regarding Speck 13" SmartShell Satin vs Radtech STM grip vs Moshi iGlaze ?

Also, could some owners confirm if the Radtech ScreenSavrz fits perfectly inside the 13" MBA?

I've always been a Zagg skin guy with my Macs, but I went with the Moshi iGlaze translucent with my new Air and love it. Yes, it's expensive but very well made and you can barely tell there is anything at all on the Air.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Does it cover the 2nd microphone hole? If so, does the recording quality change?

It does cover both microphone holes, but there is a slight gap between the case and the MBA there. However, I couldn't tell you if it's functional or if the quality is altered. I've never had a use for a microphone on a computer before, and wouldn't know how to test it. Sorry.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
It does cover both microphone holes, but there is a slight gap between the case and the MBA there. However, I couldn't tell you if it's functional or if the quality is altered. I've never had a use for a microphone on a computer before, and wouldn't know how to test it. Sorry.

You could for instance download for free AudioNote LITE from App Store, record your voice with and without the case, and compare the results... :)

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I bought one of the 'Acme' laptop sleeves from the Apple Store, for my 11" Air. It seems very well made. The only thing is that it's incredibly snug when trying to slide the laptop in to the case.. maybe it'll stretch a little over time.

Seems really nice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.