Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goat57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2021
I have read that the 256GB MacBook Air has a slower SSD speed than units with a higher storage capacity.

I am about to order a MacBook Air. I am selecting the upgraded GPU with 10 cores and 16GB RAM. I am unsure as to whether or not to upgrade the storage to 512GB or save the money.

I wish to know how much difference the SSD speed will make while using the computer for general office use and also casual gaming. I will not be transferring large files on a daily basis.

To make it clear: I do not need the extra storage capacity, I am interested only in the speed aspect and its impact on the responsiveness of the computer.

Thank you!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Depending on how often you game and what type of games are played on the Mac, you could have a better game experience with a faster SSD. If you don't game often and or the games are not intensive, you should be fine with the base, given your described overall usage.

Goat57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Thank you very much, Apple_Robert.

I game daily, but not seriously, and I'm not accustomed to high performance as I currently use an Intel MacBook Air! The game I play is World of Warcraft which I believe is more CPU intensive than anything else, but I don't know how demanding it is on the storage. If anyone does know that would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
I wish to know how much difference the SSD speed will make while using the computer for general office use and also casual gaming. I will not be transferring large files on a daily basis.

MaxTech (love him or hate him) did a video on this you might want to dig out on YouTube. He used the Mac for a variety of things including just moving files and general browsing to see how much the single SSD chip had an impact.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I wouldn't expect the speed difference to be noticeable at all in general use. I can't speak for the MBA specifically, but my primary everyday computer has both PCIe 4 NVMe SSD's and SATA SSD's. The paper sequential transfer speed difference is a factor of 10 (the SATA being 10x slower than the fastest drive). I can't tell the difference at all in ordinary use: copying files, opening / saving documents, etc.

Reactions: Tagbert

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 512gb SSD is faster, yes.
BUT...
The 256gb is still "fast enough" that I predict you will never feel as if the speed of the computer/SSD is "slowing you down"...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have read that the 256GB MacBook Air has a slower SSD speed than units with a higher storage capacity.

I am about to order a MacBook Air. I am selecting the upgraded GPU with 10 cores and 16GB RAM. I am unsure as to whether or not to upgrade the storage to 512GB or save the money.

To make it clear: I do not need the extra storage capacity, I am interested only in the speed aspect and its impact on the responsiveness of the computer.

Thank you!
How many games do you have installed at a time? Take it from there. However, do note that as the MBA is a passively cooled, you might hit performance drops should CPU performance be highly demanding.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
You will want the higher storage SSD for anything demanding like AAA titles, etc. The Air is passively cooled so you may run into some throttling as well. If you are just playing solitaire I would not worry about it.

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
You will want the higher storage SSD for anything demanding like AAA titles, etc. The Air is passively cooled so you may run into some throttling as well. If you are just playing solitaire I would not worry about it.
Yes about the thermal throttling, but WoW isn't a particularly demanding game, definitely not an 'AAA' game, so I disagree about the storage. With 256GB it is possible to to download and play a couple of AAA games (I used to do that on a previous MBP).

Like the OP, I like to game every now and then. Have gamed on Intel MBA, Intel MBP (13", 16") over the years. You might be fine with the M2 MBA, but if WoW is CPU-intensive then it would be better for longevity of your machine to have a fan for active cooling. And this would benefit you for other games as well in the next few years. In which case, go with M2 MBP (same price nearly) or, if you can spring for it, the M1 MBPro. If you're in the US there are sales where the price difference between similarly specced models is not so great.

Personally, I'm a flight sim fan and was considering the M2 Air for X-Plane 11. But it is CPU and GPU intensive if you want it to be smooth and look beautiful, so instead I bought a gaming PC with a graphics card and some big-a$$ fans for a lot less than a M2 MBA!

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Yes about the thermal throttling, but WoW isn't a particularly demanding game, definitely not an 'AAA' game, so I disagree about the storage. With 256GB it is possible to to download and play a couple of AAA games (I used to do that on a previous MBP).

Like the OP, I like to game every now and then. Have gamed on Intel MBA, Intel MBP (13", 16") over the years. You might be fine with the M2 MBA, but if WoW is CPU-intensive then it would be better for longevity of your machine to have a fan for active cooling. And this would benefit you for other games as well in the next few years. In which case, go with M2 MBP (same price nearly) or, if you can spring for it, the M1 MBPro. If you're in the US there are sales where the price difference between similarly specced models is not so great.

Personally, I'm a flight sim fan and was considering the M2 Air for X-Plane 11. But it is CPU and GPU intensive if you want it to be smooth and look beautiful, so instead I bought a gaming PC with a graphics card and some big-a$$ fans for a lot less than a M2 MBA!
I do not disagree with your comments. The OP is asking about the SSD speeds though. The 256gb M2 MBA has much slower SSD read and write speeds than the 512gb M2 MBA. It is a single SSD versus a dual SSD on the 512gb. I would go for the duel storage 512gb for gaming -- no question.

Also, I was merely pointing out the thermal throttling issue as an additional point to consider in terms of system performance of the MBA M2 for gaming. In general though, if the OP is planning on limiting their use to non-intensive games only, the 256gb MBA M2 may suffice. But the 512gb model would allow for a better experience down the line.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I do not disagree with your comments. The OP is asking about the SSD speeds though. The 256gb M2 MBA has much slower SSD read and write speeds than the 512gb M2 MBA. It is a single SSD versus a dual SSD on the 512gb. I would go for the duel storage 512gb for gaming -- no question.

The OP asked whether the SSD speed difference would make an impact in actual use, and the answer is no - not the way (s)he plans on using it. As I've repeatedly said in these forums, the speed difference may look impressive on paper but it has virtually zero impact in actual use unless you're sequentially transferring gigabytes on a regular basis; and most users don't. Sequential transfer rate is easy to measure, impressive to look at, and almost completely irrelevant to 99.9% of users.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you!
Always get one size larger than you think you will need, especially the. you can't change your mind later on. Given that and every reviewer's issue with 256GB SSDs on M2 Macs, I'd just go with 512GB.

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Always get one size larger than you think you will need, especially the. you can't change your mind later on. Given that and every reviewer's issue with 256GB SSDs on M2 Macs, I'd just go with 512GB.
No. For two reasons:

1) This has been the advice with all the tech YouTubers but some people can't afford (or simply don't want) to pay Apple $200 for extra storage and speed when the base model is already $200 more than its predecessor.

2) Not everyone needs to keep all their videos/photos/music on their main machine 24/7. That's why there's cheap cloud storage and cheap USB external HDD/SSD, which also helps as a backup solution. If you implement a 'system', you can get away with 128GB, or 256GB easily (I have been living with only 128GB for the past 10 years on various laptops).

You don't know the circumstances of the OP, maybe they're not rich with a lot of disposable income.

Don't give Apple any more of your hard-earned money than you absolutely, strictly, need to. That's one of my guiding philosophies. They're a $trillion company for a reason!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
No. For two reasons:

1) This has been the advice with all the tech YouTubers but some people can't afford (or simply don't want) to pay Apple $200 for extra storage and speed when the base model is already $200 more than its predecessor.

You're telling me that someone is going to save up $1200 to buy this machine and can't possibly hold on that saved money to spend $200 for better future-proofing? Mind you, I say this as a cost-conscious buyer who doesn't want to have to buy a whole new computer when I inevitably run out of disk space due to ever-increasing app and OS disk space requirements.

2) Not everyone needs to keep all their videos/photos/music on their main machine 24/7.

I'm not talking about buying a 512GB SSD for the purpose of video, photos, or music storage. I run out of space on a 256GB SSD constantly and I don't put any of that crap on there. It's not that much space in 2022. The OS has a high footprint, as do many apps. This isn't going to get any better. And that SSD is 100% un-upgradable. Consider not just the upfront use-case, but also use-cases down the road. If your chief argument here is that people don't have enough money to spend $200 extra, then consider that it's $1400 extra to change your mind after the fact.

That's why there's cheap cloud storage

Cloud storage (a) isn't cheap and (b) doesn't offset every possible use case for additional local storage. Additional apps, for instance will not benefit from cloud storage. An expanding Photos library even isn't 100% covered by additional iCloud storage (as even optimized pictures take up local disk space).

and cheap USB external HDD/SSD

Right, because, in order to offset a $200 cost to have more storage built into the computer without the need to carry around an additional device using one of my only two expansion ports, I'm going to spend $100 on a drive? That seems ridiculous to me, but you do you.

, which also helps as a backup solution.

External storage is the only non-cloud solution to the problem of backing up stuff. You'd never use additional internal storage this way. Though, splitting your back-up drive so that some of it is back-up and some of it is additional storage is a BAD idea (also impossible if you're using APFS as your Time Machine drive format).

If you implement a 'system', you can get away with 128GB, or 256GB easily (I have been living with only 128GB for the past 10 years on various laptops).

I've used 128GB and 256GB Mac laptops. I have an army of base model M1 Airs (7 GPU Cores, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) that I use for my IT consulting. Totally fine for those purposes. Those are SECONDARY machines. As one's primary machine, it sucks. Period. Can you get away with it? Yes. But for $200 are we really going to split hairs, especially when your workarounds cost anywhere between $70-150? Seems needless in the grand scheme of things.

You don't know the circumstances of the OP, maybe they're not rich with a lot of disposable income.

Again, we're talking about already spending $1200 and you're telling me that $200 more for obvious future-proofing (that will delay the expediture of another $1200-1600 by another year at least) will break the bank? That's not being cost-conscious. That's being cheap enough to the point that you defeat the entire point of being cost-conscious to begin with!

Don't give Apple any more of your hard-earned money than you absolutely, strictly, need to. That's one of my guiding philosophies. They're a $trillion company for a reason!

Apple is a trillion dollar company because they overcharge for RAM and SSDs (among several other mostly irrelevant reasons). Also, there's buying what you need TODAY and there's buying factoring both what you need today and what you'll need two to five years down the road. You can't upgrade the SSDs on these MacBook Airs the way you could on the 2010-2017 MacBook Airs. Also the 256GB capacity ones on the M2 Macs suck. Period. Spending the extra $200 is a no-brainer.

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm tempted to do a point-by-point rebuttal but that would waste time for both of us. Let's start with
You're telling me that someone is going to save up $1200 to buy this machine and can't possibly hold on that saved money to spend $200 for better future-proofing? Mind you, I say this as a cost-conscious buyer who doesn't want to have to buy a whole new computer when I inevitably run out of disk space due to ever-increasing app and OS disk space requirements.
Yes. Yes I am. That's *exactly* the point of my post. These machines are expensive, even the base models. For the target audience, i.e. college students and general purpose computing, consumers should not need to know about the SSD speed shortfalls and how much RAM to buy. It should just work like all the other base model Airs did previously. It is preposterous to recommend *another* $200 on a machine who price has gone up *by* $200 effectively. Most people have budgets they have to stick to.

I have an army of base model M1 Airs (7 GPU Cores, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) that I use for my IT consulting.
Ah, I see. So you are not the target audience for this mainstream machine.

Listen, the point about the cloud storage being cheap holds true for students, who are allocated University licences for Office 365 with up to 5TB OneDrive storage for free. A large sector of the target audience for this machine is high school and college students. They are not going to fill up 256GB as easily as you would.

Apple is a trillion dollar company because they overcharge for RAM and SSDs (among several other mostly irrelevant reasons). Also, there's buying what you need TODAY and there's buying factoring both what you need today and what you'll need two to five years down the road. You can't upgrade the SSDs on these MacBook Airs the way you could on the 2010-2017 MacBook Airs. Also the 256GB capacity ones on the M2 Macs suck. Period. Spending the extra $200 is a no-brainer.
So, because Apple gets to routinely exploit people's need to upgrade their machines because they are not user serviceable, we should let them get away with it? No. Spending the extra $200 is letting them get away with it. I reject that with every single fibre of my being. It's one reason why I don't have an Apple machine in my repertoire for the first time in years right now, after years and years of paying the Apple Tax. Enough is enough. I am waiting for a more sensibly balanced price/performance machine with 16GB RAM/512GB SSD that doesn't cost $2000 or close to it. I'm happy to wait, but it just goes to show the state of Apple profit margins these days.

camotwen

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2022
I do not think that you will notice the SSD speed difference with 16gb ram as you would not really get much into using swap memory. But also for the use you describe 256gb more/faster speed would matter more than extra gpu cores tbh, or at least imo the extra gpu cores appeal to more niche needs that you do not describe, or be a luxury thing where money is not a consideration. So by that assuming money is not a consideration, why not go for the higher storage, or even for the 1T one?

camotwen

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2022
Right, because, in order to offset a $200 cost to have more storage built into the computer without the need to carry around an additional device using one of my only two expansion ports, I'm going to spend $100 on a drive? That seems ridiculous to me, but you do you.
Tbh external storage has some limitations for some types of use, but also has some advantages for others. For example, you can easily transfer huge amount of files/libraries between computers, or even not need to transfer at all and just use/edit directly from there, same with applications that can run from an external drive. That is super cool for somebody that may need to run things from different computers.

The limitations come only if what you store in the external drive is what you use all the time, because carrying the ssd all the time or having it connected all the time is suboptimal. But if it a more occesional thing, eg games that you play once in a while in the evening, or some videos that you edit or whatever some point, while you use the computer most of the time for browsing, work and stuff for which low storage is not an issue, using an external drive is great.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm tempted to do a point-by-point rebuttal but that would waste time for both of us. Let's start with

Yes. Yes I am. That's *exactly* the point of my post. These machines are expensive, even the base models. For the target audience, i.e. college students and general purpose computing, consumers should not need to know about the SSD speed shortfalls and how much RAM to buy.

Consumers NEED to know about SSD speeds and RAM shortfalls if they actually want to get their money's worth. If they don't, then every point you make about being cost-conscious goes right out the window.

It should just work like all the other base model Airs did previously.

And yet, Apple shortchanged us on there being only one NAND chip rather than two. You can't argue with how things turned out.

It is preposterous to recommend *another* $200 on a machine who price has gone up *by* $200 effectively. Most people have budgets they have to stick to.

Indeed. So, for those who can't afford the extra $200, it is merely sensible to just buy the M1 Air which, unlike (and compared to) the base model M2, is a REALLY good bang for buck. Because they're on a budget. Otherwise, recognize that the true cost of entry for a quality machine that will last longer is $1400, not $1200. Or spend EXACTLY $1200 and get a machine with an inferior SSD. These are the MacBook Air options for us in August 2022. You can't debate them. They simply just are.

Ah, I see. So you are not the target audience for this mainstream machine.

What even is the target audience for a MacBook Air now that Intel isn't inside anymore? If you're telling me that the same people buying a MacBook Air in August 2022 should be the same folks that would've bought the 2020 Intel model exactly two years ago, I'd rub my fleet of M1 Airs in your face and show you that the bar is raised and that this is no longer the metric the world has to measure the MacBook Air to.

Listen, the point about the cloud storage being cheap holds true for students, who are allocated University licences for Office 365 with up to 5TB OneDrive storage for free. A large sector of the target audience for this machine is high school and college students. They are not going to fill up 256GB as easily as you would.

We're not talking about how easily I would or wouldn't fill up a 256GB SSD. We're talking about how one is slower than that of the predecessor model (and the lower-end M1 model that is still sold today). If none of your files live locally, that's awesome! 256GB will probably be enough for you then! Still a bad idea considering that needs change over time, but in your inverted world where spending less today (and requiring the sooner spend of more tomorrow) is a better financial move (rather than simply waiting until the user had $200 more), that would still fly! However, that doesn't do crap to address the speed of the SSD which HOLDS AND BOOTS THE OPERATING SYSTEM! Or were we thinking that the cloud could take care of that too?

Incidentally, you are generalizing that all high school and college students use computers the same way. Take a high school gamer that plays StarCraft Remastered, Hearthstone, Diablo III, StarCraft II, and possibly WoW Classic who also works on visual art. A 256GB SSD (whether of acceptable read/write speeds or otherwise) will fill that drive. And mind you, that's (a) not that many games and (b) not an uncommon use case.

And again, you're using "target audience" as though the MacBook Air didn't change when the underlying silicon did which is...well...flawed.

So, because Apple gets to routinely exploit people's need to upgrade their machines because they are not user serviceable, we should let them get away with it? No. Spending the extra $200 is letting them get away with it. I reject that with every single fibre of my being.

Alright: I definitely empathize with any "don't give Apple any more money than you have to" sentiments, especially when you have people torn between the M2 Air and the 14" MacBook Pros like they're comparable machines. But pick and choose your battles, man!

We're talking about a drive you can't upgrade later. And, I don't know if you've ever been in this position, but when Apple caps you on storage, that usually HASTENS the time in which that user goes shopping for another Mac. Hastening the time between Mac purchases goes 180-degrees from your "don't let them get away with it" diatribe and achieves the very end goal you sought to avoid to begin with. Spend the extra money to get the extra years of time with the devices; then you don't have to buy them anywhere near as frequently.

It's one reason why I don't have an Apple machine in my repertoire for the first time in years right now, after years and years of paying the Apple Tax.

Honestly, if I didn't have years of my life in that ecosystem and, separately (but still relevantly), my entire IT career resting on it, I'd give up my Macs tomorrow. I have a way less bumpy road in Windows anyway.

Enough is enough. I am waiting for a more sensibly balanced price/performance machine with 16GB RAM/512GB SSD that doesn't cost $2000 or close to it. I'm happy to wait, but it just goes to show the state of Apple profit margins these days.

An M1 Air with that spec is reasonable. Even moreso if you shop Apple Certified Refurbished.

Same goes for both the M1 13" Pros (when Apple Certified Refurbished). I have the latter configuration and it's great. Though, that goes against the grain of not having a Mac in your arsenal. That said, there are some pretty great business PCs out there with those specs that aren't crazy expensive.

Tbh external storage has some limitations for some types of use, but also has some advantages for others. For example, you can easily transfer huge amount of files/libraries between computers, or even not need to transfer at all and just use/edit directly from there, same with applications that can run from an external drive. That is super cool for somebody that may need to run things from different computers.

The limitations come only if what you store in the external drive is what you use all the time, because carrying the ssd all the time or having it connected all the time is suboptimal. But if it a more occesional thing, eg games that you play once in a while in the evening, or some videos that you edit or whatever some point, while you use the computer most of the time for browsing, work and stuff for which low storage is not an issue, using an external drive is great.
Nothing you say here is wrong. But the point isn't so much that more storage should be an automatic (though, I'd again argue that going one size capacity larger than you think you will need GIVEN THAT THE STORAGE ON THESE THINGS IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY UPGRADEABLE, is a wise call, given the high cost to buy another one). It's that the base model SSD sucks compared to (a) the 512GB or larger options and (b) the SSD of the exact same capacity still used by the predecessor product that is also still sold today.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would say it could be an issue that you could notice at some point. SSD speeds affect a lot of things and even the 16gb ram model uses swap. If the OS decides to use swap on a very slow ssd it will degrade performance. I think Apple did this on purpose to get most people to buy at least one upgrade. If you want to keep costs down then just get the 512gb ssd and 8gb ram. If you really only use the laptop as a media consumption device and browse the web then the base model is fine but if you push it at all then you may run into a problem. Most people who buy the air don’t push the device though so if that is you then the ssd is a non issue. Ssd is still fast it is only when it swaps memory to the ssd that it will ever be an issue. Sometimes the OS itself can use around 4-5gb ram. So if you are doing multitasking and have a ton of chrome tabs open that is when you could run into problems.

if I was buying an air I would just get the 512gb and 16 gb ram model. one way to find out is to just buy the base model and try it out. Test every scenario you will use it for in a week. If you have no issues keep it otherwise you can return it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
technerd:
"I would say it could be an issue that you could notice at some point. SSD speeds affect a lot of things and even the 16gb ram model uses swap. If the OS decides to use swap on a very slow ssd it will degrade performance."

Personal experience:
I have a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" (base model with 16gb RAM).
From the beginning, I TURNED OFF VM disk swapping using the terminal.
VM can't run on my MBP -- it's disabled completely.
The MBP runs fine without swap.
It's never experienced a memory-related crash, at all.

You can't be affected by VM swap speed if you don't use VM...

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Consumers NEED to know about SSD speeds and RAM shortfalls if they actually want to get their money's worth. If they don't, then every point you make about being cost-conscious goes right out the window.

*sigh*. I won't comment as to RAM shortfalls, but I can bluntly say that NO, consumers DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT (sequential) SSD SPEEDS. Sequential SSD transfer rates are irrelevant to actual real life performance for (I'm guessing) 99% of all users and 99.99% of Macbook Air users.

It's the drunk under the lamppost syndrome. Just because something is easy to measure and impressive to look at, doesn't mean that it matters in real life.

Sequentlal SSD speeds have no meaning for performance unless you are a) a very large content creator or b) you've direly under-spec'd RAM requirements and you're into continuous swap.

It's a bit like the pump pressure race that the super-auto coffeemaker vendors had some years back. As long as a pump can hit 9 BAR, anything more is 100% meaningless, yet marketing people seized on pump pressure as a selling point. (Our pump can hit 10! 12! 15! any ridiculous number you care to name! BAR!) In this case, it's the pseudo-reviewers doing the dance, not the vendors, but it's just as bogus: sequentlal transfer rates are easy to measure and almost entirely pointless.

Reactions: prisoner54

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
technerd:
"I would say it could be an issue that you could notice at some point. SSD speeds affect a lot of things and even the 16gb ram model uses swap. If the OS decides to use swap on a very slow ssd it will degrade performance."

Personal experience:
I have a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" (base model with 16gb RAM).
From the beginning, I TURNED OFF VM disk swapping using the terminal.
VM can't run on my MBP -- it's disabled completely.
The MBP runs fine without swap.
It's never experienced a memory-related crash, at all.

You can't be affected by VM swap speed if you don't use VM...
Curious. Did that give you some benefit, now that you have turned off swapping? Was there a problem that caused you to turn it off? Can you tell the difference?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
*sigh*. I won't comment as to RAM shortfalls, but I can bluntly say that NO, consumers DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT (sequential) SSD SPEEDS. Sequential SSD transfer rates are irrelevant to actual real life performance for (I'm guessing) 99% of all users and 99.99% of Macbook Air users.

It's the drunk under the lamppost syndrome. Just because something is easy to measure and impressive to look at, doesn't mean that it matters in real life.

Sequentlal SSD speeds have no meaning for performance unless you are a) a very large content creator or b) you've direly under-spec'd RAM requirements and you're into continuous swap.

It's a bit like the pump pressure race that the super-auto coffeemaker vendors had some years back. As long as a pump can hit 9 BAR, anything more is 100% meaningless, yet marketing people seized on pump pressure as a selling point. (Our pump can hit 10! 12! 15! any ridiculous number you care to name! BAR!) In this case, it's the pseudo-reviewers doing the dance, not the vendors, but it's just as bogus: sequentlal transfer rates are easy to measure and almost entirely pointless.
I'm guessing you have not watched several real-world demonstrations being done with these SSDs when compared to their M1 predecessors. The difference is there and frankly, if you're trying to maximize your dollar's worth, I don't know why you'd go with a base model M2 over a base model M1 or upgraded M2.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I'm guessing you have not watched several real-world demonstrations being done with these SSDs when compared to their M1 predecessors. The difference is there and frankly, if you're trying to maximize your dollar's worth, I don't know why you'd go with a base model M2 over a base model M1 or upgraded M2.
I use a machine with SATA, PCIe 3.0, and PCIe 4.0 SSD's for intensive software development, every single day. Some of that involves running queries against multi-gigabyte tables. That's a 10x range in sequential transfer rates, from SATA to the 980 Pro, and outside of hour-long database tests, it simply doesn't matter. I don't know how much more real-world you want.

Yes, there are situations where sequential transfer rate matters, and I already listed them in my previous post. (Insufficient RAM is one, and in that case, the dollars are far better spent on adding RAM than in going for a faster SSD.) That extra "dollar's worth" won't make the slightest real world difference to most buyers. For the rest, sure, buy the larger/faster SSD. They will be in the small minority though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.