MacBook Air Ultimate

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bambooshots, Jul 25, 2013.

1. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

I've been a lifetime Windows user and may make the switch to Apple's Macs as I don't have the inclination to get acquainted with Win8 and also it seems like the quality of Apple's notebooks are usually higher than most manufacturers.

That said, I'm on a tight time line and would like to be able to pick up a Macbook Air by the end of this week. I wanted to get an i7/8/256 but that needs to be BTO and won't get here in time. However, Apple Stores do usually carry the next upgrade up, the top of the line, "Ultimate" i7/8/512 but of course that's $300 more.

Does anyone here have the Macbook Air Ultimate (i7/8/512)? Was it worth it? Was it worth it to you? If you could do it again would you pick something else? I am a student so I suppose the cost would be $1750 (1850-100) plus tax and whatever accessories I wanted to buy.

Of course it'd be helpful to list what my uses would be: Schoolwork, light gaming: SCII/HOTS, Diablo 3, older Source games (never finished HL2 or any of the sequels). It'd basically be my general computer. I'm pretty mobile and the only reason I don't bring my current 15.4" Sager2090 is because it's old and slow and there's no battery life and the laptop and all the ancillary gear like power brick weighs in at about another 8-10 pounds to whatever it is I'm carrying.

Anyway, sorry if the post seems long and rambling.

Thanks for all your insight.

2. thomas99 macrumors newbie

I honestly find the Macbook Air's are better to get the base model.

They are primarily portable, but assuming you can live with the 128gb I don't think its worth your money spending extra because they are still designed as a bare bones computer.

If you are wanting to game on it have a look at the Macbook Pro, its basically the same prices as a 13 inch air and has significantly better specifications

3. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Crazy talk to get bare bones. The MBA can be your one and only computer. In that case running out of disk space is a drag. I've had 256gb 2011 and can get by on space but only if the pictures and digital music is off and only use one VM.

I'm going for the 512 this time. I've considered the ultimate but worried about heat/noise so I'll BTO a 13/8/515/i5. If I was pressed for time I'd walk out with an ultimate today.

In any case you want 8gb memory so the ultimate may be your only choice if pressed for time.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

An MBA ultimate is overkill for your uses. However, since your primary requirement is you need it immediately, you do not have a choice, so asking people's opinions about it is irrelevant. You'll get whatever your local Apple or Best Buy store has in stock.

5. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Go to b and h and get whatever you want?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983539-REG/apple_z0p0_md7613_13_3_macbook_air_notebook.html here is the one you want and in stock....

6. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I can tell you that I just received my 11" Air last week and I bought it upgraded with 8gigs and 256 SSD. For me that was a good upgrade where I don't feel trapped with low specs and potentially running out of disk space in the future.

My MacBook will serve as a work computer, along with a secondary home computer. I've had it less than two weeks, but so far I'm very happy with it!

Good luck with your decision, and I don't think you'll miss Windows once you've made the change.

7. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

lol. It cost me the same for an i5/8/256 here... You guys in the states are lucky.

But at this point, OP has to pay only $200 more for a bump to 512gb.

Personally though, rather buy a time machine ac 2tb rather than bump up to 512gb.

But each to his own.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have the ultimate... even though it is a secondary machine. This is a dual duty machine for me (both personal and work)... and for basic usage, would consume about 200GB (and growing). However, there are times that I want to go higher than that... particularly when I am traveling on a "photo heavy" trip. I shoot RAW so photos can take a lot of space. If I add video, then things get large very fast.

Since I buy my computers to last 5 years (I buy a new one for myself every year, and then waterfall my 1 year old to a family member)... the machine will get a good long life.

One more thought... SSDs perform best when there is empty space.

I was on the cusp... and probably could have gone either way. I decided going larger was prudent for my uses. In the end... I just do not have to worry about managing space.

/Jim

9. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

If you want the 8/256, order it online, and pay the extra money for the faster shipping. I ordered mine (from Eastern Canada), and it came from China in 6 days.

10. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

or go to b and h (don't pay tax if you live outside New York) and get it in one day if you do overnight shipping

11. TomasIlheu macrumors newbie

What site you bought your?

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Answered in order:

- Yes I do
    - Yes
    - YES

- Had the Macbook Pro line been updated with Haswell processors at the same time, I would have considered them as well. Having a discrete GPU is something I've been used to.

But they weren't, and I wasn't happy with the idea of getting last year's tech. I also had projects coming up where a newer laptop quick would really help things, so I went with the fully souped-up MBA. I have absolutely no regrets, and I'm actually preferring the much lighter, smaller form factor. And I've been pleasantly surprised with the integrated GPU.

I upgraded from a 2010 MacBook Pro 15-inch, which gets hot enough to fry an egg, ramps up fans like a wind tunnel, and starts glitching out video like crazy when watching Flash videos on the web browser. Meanwhile the new MBA barely makes a sound, stays rock solid and doesn't heat up at all. that pretty much sells it for me.

13. bambooshots thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is an idea, however, if bought from a third party retailer there are no incentives like education pricing nor APP store credit, correct?

14. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I was in a similar boat and wanted the same set up as you described. I didn't feel like ordering and waiting and I prefer to pay cash rather than use a CC.

I ended up just getting the Ultimate and I'm not unhappy that I did.

I really didn't need the 512 or the 256 for that matter as my previous 128s were sufficient. But as time moves on and my storage becomes larger I felt I needed at least the 256.

If you've got the funds I doubt you'll regret it. I don't.

15. 7039412108 macrumors newbie

Got almost the Macbook Air Ultimate (i7/8/256)?

Got almost the ultimate, except for the 256gb instead of 512. I got the 11".

I am very happy with it. I was really looking for something really portable. I had to review both the 11 and 13 several times. I decided for the 11.

Got the i7 and 8Gb of RAM because all my previous mac lasted for 5-6 years easily so I want to be as much possible ready for the next 2-3 years of OS updates.

SDD size is not as critical since I use a lot DropBox with 125Gb for which I only sync working documents. Other files I just get them when need them.

16. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

b and h does do education pricing but you will lose on the store credit but I would rather save the $100+ by not paying the tax

17. mattferg macrumors 6502

Get the i5/8/256 BTO and save even more money. The i7 is a waste of money for gaming, because the bottleneck is the Intel GPU, not the CPU.

----------

But the 13 rMBP doesn't have a discrete GPU?

18. keystothecity macrumors member

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I had the base Air with upgraded 8gb of ram initially. Due to some errors on the part of Apple I was upgraded to the Ultimate Air so I have experience using both models.

I barely notice a difference between the two units if I am to be completely honest with you. For most real world use like browsing and web processing you won't be able to tell them apart. I have yet to hear the fan on my i7 turn on.

I would say for gaming and heavy use perhaps the Ultimate might be better suited to your usage. However 9 times out of 10 I would say get the base with upgraded RAM.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There is such a thing as a 15 inch MBP, which would have been considered as well.

20. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

There are MANY on here who would take great exception to that comment (myself included). The Air is not some crappy net book or Chromebook. An Air of today is pushing the performance of the MBP's of just a couple of years ago. Would you call them "barebones"?

I run Aperture on my 2012 MBA and it performs better than on my 2008 iMac. People on here report running CS6, FCX, Aperture, music production software and Autocad fine. What is "bare bones" about that?.

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No it does not.

22. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

Wrong the MBA actually has better graphics than both the 13" rMBP and MBP. True the 15" rMBP has better graphics but then you're talking about $2200+..

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, I do.

Every penny. Yes.

Yes.

No.

24. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Right off Apple.com

25. mattferg macrumors 6502

Wow, you bought the ultimate, not just the i7 upgrade? Um, wow.