MacBook Air vs pro

price is the same

• Total voters

tim1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
is there a reason other than price to pick air over 13inch tb MacBook Pro?

vote in poll if price was the same

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
supposedly better keyboard, touch id, form factor
He said TB version so will have same keyboard and Touch ID.

I would say that although the new Air doesn’t appear to have impressive battery life, it’ll be even worse on the TB. The lack of a TouchBar and battery life will be the main reasons to go for the Air (imo) and the wedge body which makes it more comfortable to hold/use.

tim1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
He said TB version so will have same keyboard and Touch ID.

I would say that although the new Air doesn’t appear to have impressive battery life, it’ll be even worse on the TB. The lack of a TouchBar and battery life will be the main reasons to go for the Air (imo) and the wedge body which makes it more comfortable to hold/use.
price isn't a factor. I want the best screen, most battery life, and slim design.

Reactions: DVD9

tim1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Better performance, better screen, not much more money. I'd say the MBP would be a better buy if battery life was not a major need.
any test out there comparing these 2 in battery tests?

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Better performance, better screen, not much more money. I'd say the MBP would be a better buy if battery life was not a major need.
Agreed, and if you turn the MBP screen dimness down to the MBA level, battery life would be much closer in the real world for most people

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
I've decided to go for the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar later this month, i think the screen will be better, the specs are higher for future proofing/if habits or hobbies change.

Reactions: raqball and Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I've decided to go for the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar later this month, i think the screen will be better, the specs are higher for future proofing/if habits or hobbies change.
Good choice.

After 3 days of using the new Air, I decided to return it and swap it for a nTB Pro.
For one reason only : the screen

Everything else I loved about my Air

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I am considering either the new MacBook Air or a late 2017-the newest model of the MBP NTB. Don't really feel I'd use TB honestly... I just do emails, MS office, web, you tube etc... nothing too fancy... thinking new MBA for the price? Opinions/thoughts?

triangletechie

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2017
NC
This is a good time to purchase the 2018 MBP. Best Buy has them on sale for $1649 as part of their pre-Black Friday deals. But I remember they did have them on sale for even cheaper at $1599 a few weeks back.

Reactions: DVD9

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I am considering either the new MacBook Air or a late 2017-the newest model of the MBP NTB. Don't really feel I'd use TB honestly... I just do emails, MS office, web, you tube etc... nothing too fancy... thinking new MBA for the price? Opinions/thoughts?
With the Best Buy sales going on right now, get the nTB Pro! Assuming you are in the US and want to purchase from BB that is...

Reactions: Falcon80

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
The screen is almost ridiculous for the MBA price. Probably going to kill the MBPntb so why not equal screen or they holding back for the ‘next big thing’.
Good choice.

After 3 days of using the new Air, I decided to return it and swap it for a nTB Pro.
For one reason only : the screen

Everything else I loved about my Air
I saw the difference is only the wide colour gamut. Is that the reason for you as well?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Midwest US
I don’t imagine Apple has taken leave of their senses. Brighter screens mean shorter battery life. If you need the extra 200 nits, buy the 2018 MBP. I’d have a hard time recommending the nTB 2017 version, given all the keyboard headaches.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
I just went through three MacBook Pro with Touch Bar because they all had a light leak in between the bezel in the rubber piece containing the screen. Google this and you’ll see there is an issue here that is hit or miss.

I decided on a whim to pick up the new air and the screen is perfect from that aspect and I cannot really tell a huge difference between the two with regards to actual quality of the picture. I am sure if you’re doing photo editing or something of the like then you may have a difference. But saving the 360+ dollars made a huge difference and I don’t have that light leak around the bezel.

Reactions: lambertjohn