Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This article got me somewhat excited in hopes of a new Skylake MacBook Pro. Key word in that sentence was hopes.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
As for the top end MacBook Pro, we do not need lighter and thinner. We need more power and more connectors than seen on recent MacBook Pros. Entry level, sure make it thin and light. But some of us really need a top end laptop.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
You've been a member for 2 days. May I ask if there's anything positive about Apple that brought you here?

For the moment I can't think of any, can you? I really have my hopes low but they keep disappointing me lately. Maybe some new products will excite me again (except new wristbands) or an adjustment in price for their aging products.

Reactions: ssgbryan

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's not a rumor. It's a fact. I've seen the pictures. There's even a price decrease. :p:D:rolleyes:
mi-notebook-air-13.3.jpg

No macOS, no iMessage, no integration or handoff with my iOS devices, ... No thanks.

Reactions: Osty

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
So, as I see it, portable Macs basically now tend to be using USB-C.
iDevices use Lightning.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I want this very much.

I see what I think most people would see happening - the Macbook and Macbook Air becoming one product.

I have a Macbook Retina - the first of the two models, upgraded as much as you can - It's a fantastic ultraportable with an amazing screen, crazy long battery life, a great keyboard once you get used to it and it's the perfect size.

All it (badly) needs is:
  • A much faster CPU & integrated GPU (or non-integrated I guess but that probably wouldn't make sense).
  • 16GB of RAM as a minimum & maybe a 32GB option.
  • A NVMe SSD option somewhere between 512GB-2.5TB.
  • A second (thunderbolt enabled) USB-C port.
And then it'd be hands down the perfect laptop for me & at least 3 other people I know would immediately spec it out and buy it right away.

Lol, if you NEED 32gb RAM (unlikely), how are you possibly getting by on your Mac now??

Reactions: sourfeature

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
*with a screen from the year 2000

If you think a screen from 2000-2005 is synonymous with a MBA, you'll have a hell of a shock if you ever got your hands on a PowerBook.

keysofanxiety, chill? To claim a Ford in 2016 has the same ignition switch as a Ford in 1996 does not claim that nothing else has changed either. It just means there is at least 1 legacy part.

Or to take your analogy the other direction we could add that the 2000-2005 PowerBooks had upgradable RAM, some had upgradable CPUs, more ports than the MBAs, and more. So in a way the "new" 500 day old MBAs are even worse than 15 year old PowerBooks.

In 2002 I switched temporarily to a Dell (and soon regretted that) when my Dell had a better GPU with 2x the VRAM and a 1600x1200 screen for about $500 less than the low end PowerBook. When many laptops with MBA specs sell for $600, paying $1000+ and only getting a 1366x768 display is a tragedy. Paying 2x what other similarly specced laptops sell for and settling for 1440x900 is a travesty.

Reactions: mattopotamus

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I'm getting so desperate to update from this 2007 MBP, that right now I'd be happy if the new models only new features were upsized ram and SSD.

Please release something soon, Apple! :)

I'm in the same boat with my 2008 MBP, it's still hanging in there though, barely. By far the best money I've ever spent on an electronics device and with that experience it pretty much guarantees my next laptop will be from Apple.

Reactions: peterh988

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, I get that approach, but is Apple really into that kind of business model? Are the profits really that incredible enough to chase rather than chasing the profits of pleasing the customer and reducing frustration? It would seem with Apple's current position, it would benefit from choosing one standard for all its devices, and chasing the "frustrate the customer the least" business model.

I'm not arguing against the idea- I like it. I'm simply saying the profit motives seem to be superseding doing what is best for the customers right now (and last few years). Apple seems to recognize that they have a strong enough hold on their following that we'll buy anyway when they make decisions that seem to heavily favor profits over utility. That we in fact WILL buy anyway simply rewards such thinking in the most tangible way. And thus we have upcoming situations where to use headphones with even a new iDevice and a Mac pretty much requires an adapter. To connect commonly-used accessories to the MB pretty much requires an adapter. Etc.

I'm FOR "one universal (and non-proprietary) port to rule them all." But your wish was about Apple going that way... and they don't seem to look at that scenario with the same enthusiasm. Why? More money in NOT embracing the concept than in embracing it.

MacNeto

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
Plot twist: Apple drops the MacBook and replaces it with the MacBook Air.

Plot twists again: Apple then drops the Macbook Air and replaces it with some form of iPad crap. Tim Cook very optimistic about possitive signs of the replacement, then proceeds to repeat the same lines he's been using over and over like a robot: it's going to be absolutely amazing, it's going to enrich people's lives, I'm very excited about what we have in store. Apple releases revolutionary new shade of pink. Macrumors members go berserk, threaten to buy Windows/Andriod/potato. Year ends. New threat about rumored Mac, everyone jump with joy. Repeat...

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
I want this very much.

I see what I think most people would see happening - the Macbook and Macbook Air becoming one product.

I have a Macbook Retina - the first of the two models, upgraded as much as you can - It's a fantastic ultraportable with an amazing screen, crazy long battery life, a great keyboard once you get used to it and it's the perfect size.

All it (badly) needs is:
  • A much faster CPU & integrated GPU (or non-integrated I guess but that probably wouldn't make sense).
  • 16GB of RAM as a minimum & maybe a 32GB option.
  • A NVMe SSD option somewhere between 512GB-2.5TB.
  • A second (thunderbolt enabled) USB-C port.
And then it'd be hands down the perfect laptop for me & at least 3 other people I know would immediately spec it out and buy it right away.

I think what you're referencing is just base 13" MBP territory. The MB just needs a huge price decrease. Until that happens, the MBA is a good middle ground.

I'll never understand the people who are okay with a $1299 machine replacing a $899/$999 one. The current MB and MBA are like apples and oranges. Trust me, we all understand that one day the MB will be ready to topple the MBA completely. Give it some time.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Can Apple please harmonize its connections? USB, USB Type C, Lightning, MagSafe, etcetera, etcetera.

Once they get round to updating their range it probably will just be USB-C with TB3 for Macs and Lightning for mobile. I think dumping Lightning for USB-C on Mobile would annoy too many people (if they don't do it with the iPhone 7 and people start buying Lightning headphones then that will be it).

Apple needs to get hold of themselves and stop this convoluted mess of a computer lineup

If you want to see a convoluted mess of a lineup, go look at the Dell, HP or Lenovo sites. Don't get me wrong - some of those Dell XPS laptops are serious contenders for MacBook Pro replacements but, oh my, the hodge-podge of specs and that's only one of several Dell laptop ranges.

...actually, the sensible thing would be for the Macbook Air (13") and rMBP (13") to become one product called the Macbook Air. Even now, unless you really, really value that small difference in battery life and weight only the base Air makes sense: start bumping the Air's CPU and the rMBP wins. The "Pro" label could be reserved for the 15".

Apple's entire Mac lineup has stagnated - so true and so sad. Pathetic even. Thanks for everything, Tim!

Remember its been partly Intel's fault (both the Skylake delays and their deceptive i3/i5/i7 branding), with the "old" processors in the rMBPs actually still better than the available Skylake options once you factor in the iGPU performance (the rMBPs use the better Iris/Iris Pro graphics) and power rating (e.g. the rMBP 13 use the 28W + Intel Iris processors). The excuse may be running thin now (but its really hard to work out what processors are needed & what are available esp. when you thinl of all the BTO options - e.g. I don't think the i7/28W/Iris Pro chips for the rMBP 13 are out yet, and the i7/Iris Pro chips for the 15" only showed up a couple of months ago).

The hype for the next-generation Kaby Lake processors is already starting before all of the permutations of Skylake are available - and much the same happened the last time round. Thats a major foul-up on Intel's part.

That said - no new MacBook Pro/Air for over a year is a marketing problem in any language and Tim Cook gets paid an awful lot of money to solve marketing problems. He really needed to find something interesting to say about Macs at WWDC and he didn't. Why not put the chipset from one of these into a nice aluminium box and keep the Mac Mini fans happy? (Actually, I think that's the chip the 15" rMBP needs, as well). If all else fails, tell us about the great Macs that are going to be available in 2017 - because its better to have regular customers sitting on their money for six months than wandering off and buying Dells and never coming back.

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I really hope Apple is simply taking their time to "get it right". I have money burning a hole in my pocket for the following wish-products:
  1. MacBook Pro with a 16-17" retina screen, 32GB RAM, improved CPU performance, significantly improved GPU (or #3), and Thunderbolt 3. Bonus: Space Grey.
  2. Mac (Mini) with quad-core i7, 32GB RAM, and Thunderbolt 3.
  3. 5K TB3 screen with external (swappable!?) GPUs.
  4. Apple TV w/ 4K HDR support.
I'm not particularly interested in upgrading my iPhone or iPad Pro anytime soon. I've been on that hamster wheel too much the last few years -- I just want new hardware that helps me get my WORK done and is adequate for some game/entertainment time.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Said not one single owner of a current Mac.
I have a 2015 15in MBP so it is a current one. I only got it because it replaced a 2012 one that was accidentally run over by a car.
The line is outdated in some respects. The storage is blisteringly fast. I have the 1TB SSD so it should be.
Everything works but the 16Gb of RAM is limiting as I run a number of VM's. My 2012 Windows laptop can take 32Gb and 3.5 TB of SSD. So yes it is outdated in its capacity.
No RJ45 is a PITA. Have to remember to carry the USB adapter with me. Two USB ports is also a limitation.
More ports please Apple when you upgrade the MBP. PRobably won't though.

Reactions: Sandstorm

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
this makes no sense. drop the air, improve the macbook

That makes no sense at all. If you improved the Mac Book you end up with a Mac Book Air. The fact is the Mac Book Airs are better machines than the Mac Books even now. More versatile and longer running. Give the Air a modern screen and several USB-C ports and you will have one impressive machine. This can all be done while keeping the Air cost competitive.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I call BS. Obviously Apple will continue to drag backwards users into the future. The MacBook still relies upon a single USB-C port, thus the Air must forge ahead with zero ports. It's a bold and daring move that only Apple could do.

Imagine the future. Imagine a slick laptop with no ports to mar the design's perfection. When closed it will be only a thing slip of aloominium, a gesture to beckon us to an ideal future.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I'm in the same boat with my 2008 MBP, it's still hanging in there though, barely. By far the best money I've ever spent on an electronics device and with that experience it pretty much guarantees my next laptop will be from Apple.

Agreed, had daily use without a murmur, but it's time to retire the old girl and get something to keep up with my current needs.

Reactions: Codeseven

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I have a 2015 15in MBP so it is a current one. I only got it because it replaced a 2012 one that was accidentally run over by a car.
The line is outdated in some respects. The storage is blisteringly fast. I have the 1TB SSD so it should be.
Everything works but the 16Gb of RAM is limiting as I run a number of VM's. My 2012 Windows laptop can take 32Gb and 3.5 TB of SSD. So yes it is outdated in its capacity.
No RJ45 is a PITA. Have to remember to carry the USB adapter with me. Two USB ports is also a limitation.
More ports please Apple when you upgrade the MBP. PRobably won't though.

???

Even as a Pro user, you're way out in your own category with a need for 32 GB and 3.5 TB of SSD on board in a laptop.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you don't need all that. I understand that you do. But I'm also not going to agree that Apple is missing out on any meaningful purchase numbers by not offering a similar config.

And ports? Ethernet? You've basically convinced me that you are trying to turn a laptop into a desktop. They are, even today, distinctly different categories.

Reactions: page404

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
"Hey here's a rumor, that does not really have any content, and is nothing new." Things are happening, things have happened, and some other things might happen. Others, say otherwise. Oh, also here is a photo from 2004.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.