Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bezkevorka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2021
Losing my mind trying to problem solve this one. Have replaced an old SSD after it failed. Figured a new SSD would do the trick but after installing Mac OS on it and installing it in my MacBook all I get is a folder with a question mark. Disk utility won't load, connecting to online server just freezes. I've tried just about everything with no luck getting it to boot up, UNTIL I installed Ubuntu on the SSD using a bootable usb. Now my MacBook boots up fine. Have since tried re-installing a couple SSD's with Mac OS on them and had no luck. I figure it must be a software issue but can't for the life of me work out what. Any help would be awesome. Cheers

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Losing my mind trying to problem solve this one. Have replaced an old SSD after it failed. Figured a new SSD would do the trick but after installing Mac OS on it and installing it in my MacBook all I get is a folder with a question mark. Disk utility won't load, connecting to online server just freezes. I've tried just about everything with no luck getting it to boot up, UNTIL I installed Ubuntu on the SSD using a bootable usb. Now my MacBook boots up fine. Have since tried re-installing a couple SSD's with Mac OS on them and had no luck. I figure it must be a software issue but can't for the life of me work out what. Any help would be awesome. Cheers
What model Mac, what type of SSD, and what version of macOS?

Reactions: MBAir2010

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The SSD might have been recognized as a boot drive when it was external, but now that you installed it internally it isn't. I assume you already booted while holding the option key and set it as the boot drive.

If you did and it's still not working, keep the SSD inside the MacBook, then install macOS on it using internet recovery.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
If you want to restore your macbook air to the OSX system you want, just install a time machine back up.
that always worked when i needed to revert.
and what the top 2 replies said as well are great advice.

BTW what mba do you have? and what edition of Unbuntu?

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.