MacBook Air, won't boot, white screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sorby2002, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sorby2002 macrumors newbie

My daughters MacBook air (mid 2011 A1369) has more or less died. It turns on, fans spin up, but within a second or two goes to a bright white screen. No logos or anything else.

There's no start up chime either. The keyboard seems fairly dead, no key commands work such as a PRAM reset, Command + R, safe boot etc. The only thing that seems to work is a SMC reset and the power button to hold down to power off. If I press caps lock it won't light up.

Plugging in USB devices only seem to get power for a few seconds after power on, then seem to go dead.

I've tried taking the back off and disconnection the SSD, this makes no difference, just turns back on to the bright White Screen.

The charger goes orange when plugged in, charges as normal and goes green if left for a few hours.

Is this a case of a dead logic board or is there anything else worth trying? Any help would be appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing worth trying imo, is letting apple take a look and give you an estimate of what the repair may run you.

Sorry :(

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

And ask what is defective. There are certain things that you can get around without an expensive repair.

For example, if the hard drive is broken, you may be able to use a cheap external hard drive instead. If the screen is broken, you may be able to use the computer with an external monitor and keyboard. If you don't want that kind of compromise, you may be able to sell the computer for a good price on eBay to someone who accepts that compromise - a MacBook Air with broken screen is effectively a flatter + wider Mac Mini and will sell on eBay.

4. sorby2002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments / suggestions.

Took it into Apple store this morning, they couldn't get it to respond either. I've left it for a full diagnostic / quote, should hear back in a few days.