Macbook airpro 15, 17 this year, ivy bridge summer 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsoccerman, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/02/ultra...ikely-not-getting-ivi-bridge-chips-this-year/

SO. It looks like the ultrathin 15 and 17 will come this year, which likely will also include an update to the pro line.

second gen sandy bridge processors included.

This from the helpful people over at 9to5mac.com, it looks like ivy bridge will be 2 refreshes away, since Intel wont ship in bulk until summer 2012. this lines up nicely with a refresh schedule... REDESIGN end 2011, REFRESH summer to fall 2012.

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Cool. I only hope that Jobs & co.'s obsession with thinness do not mean that the upcoming MBP redesign will come with RAM chips & SSDs all soldered onto the logic boards. :D

3. davmcn macrumors regular

4. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Ya know it wouldnt be so bad for ssd.... but NOT SOLDERED ON. I am honestly considering just getting this years so that I can upgrade as I go to keep it up to date....;)

5. jeanRick macrumors newbie

Well imo ... soldered ssd is bearable, but soldered RAM is unacceptable :mad:

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Blade SSD is find IMO, it can run have an interface that is SATA3 I think so aftermarket company's can alway's develop blade SSD drives.

Soldered RAM is a definite no no as is the loss of the ethernet port or USB ports or speaker ports or SD card slot. Firewire should also remain and thunderbolt can replace the display port.
    But then if they did launch such a machine in December, would you buy or wait for Ivy Bridge?

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

According to the article, the ultrathin 15/17 IS the update to the Pro.

8. Performa636CD macrumors member

Which I just don't get. Ok, so Apple eventually updates the MBP line and removes the HDD and ODD to make the MBP thinner like the MBA. Why would Apple do this? Shouldn't they keep the rough size of the current MBP and instead of making them smaller, just put in larger batteries, more powerful GPUs, and more room for cooling? That's my opinion.

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Because to put a larger battery, better cooling, more powerful GPU into it then they HAVE to remove something from the current design:

Attached Files:

10. Performa636CD macrumors member

That's my point, if Apple were to remove the ODD and HDD and free up some internal space, they should improve the MBP's performance not make it smaller.

11. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I second that. Fo me, the mbp, at least as a 17", is a portable machine, not a mobile one.

I carry that extra pound gladly if it offers me extra power & stamina below this great screen estate.

12. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

In my opinion, the MBP's weight and size are great now. I agree that the optical drive has to be removed, because it just takes to much valuable space.
    I really appreciate the ability to put the SSD of my choice in. An additional HDD for storage would also be great.
    User upgradable ram slots are a MUST.
    7 hours battery life or more is very good for a mobile workstation.
    The space form the optical drive should be used for better performance, especially GPU. Sandy Brighe CPU deliver outstanding performance, so no need of improvement there.
    Maybe a better cooling system.
    I hope they keep the Expresscard slot on the 17"...

13. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Maybe so... Where does that leave the thirteen? is there maybe going to be a larger version of the air for less? keeping the price they have on it now?:eek:

14. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I think they can do BOTH.

Maybe by thinner they mean a reduction of 1/10 of an inch which is:

New Size
    0.85 inch (2.16 cm)

vs.

Current Size
    0.95 inch (2.41 cm)

Even with the body being thinner they could add batteries that are also slightly thinner but significantly wider for an increase in battery life :)

15. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

I do enjoy nice healthy speculation.. though honestly, as much as i disagree with the "KILL THE ODD"... i think that if they took it out of the mac mini, the only computer left in about three years with one will be the mac pro, imac will lose one soon too. mac mini may have needed it the most, to be honest.:apple:

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

What I, as a consumer, would like(for the 13" because that's all I care about) is for them to keep the size the same, ditch the ODD, add a blade SSD in the 128GB range, honestly the HDD should be 1TB standard by now with how cheap they are, likewise have 8GB of RAM standard with how cheap it is, increase battery capacity by ~50%, I'm indifferent about a graphics card update just have something inline or better than the 320M, and up the res to 1440x900 standard with the option to upgrade to at least 1680x1050, and I guess throw in an anti-glare option for those who want it. Keep the Ethernet port, lose FireWire and add a second thunderbolt, offer a TB>FW adapter, dump the SD slot(it's a "pro" computer, it has no place having a SD slot, and add an expresscard34 slot.

If this happened, I would gladly pay $1600 for an i7, and would even pay $200 more for the upgrade screen($250 for anti-glare). They should also offer a black version for ~$150 more, same specs and build quality, but anno'd black.

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Hey, why not ask for the moon?

:rolleyes:

YOU might be willing to pay $1600 for it; I, and many others, would not.

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Hence why I said as a consumer. As Apple, I would have a much different wish list. I still think a blade SSD in the 32GB range would be a good choice, with how snappy the air feels, it will be hard to have someone who doesn't know much about computers that the pro is more powerful.

I do think they need to make the 13" more "pro," because now it's honesty a MacBook, even more so with Apple killing the white MacBook.

19. Performa636CD macrumors member

I'd be cool with that, but I don't want the MBP's form factor to be that of the MBA. Designing a computer that's both smaller and more powerful is neither as small as it could be nor as powerful as it could be. I'm not saying Apple shouldn't make laptops that compromise both size and power, but they should also make a "professional" line were power is more important than a smaller size.

20. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

RIGHT... honestly, when has apple added multiple options like that, i mean so many? except mac pro... that i7 he priced would have been like $2100....:(

21. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I really don't see what's so out of line with what I posted, yes, the HD/RAM amounts won't happen and the blade SSD will be like 32GB. Changing ports isn't a big deal(doesn't really cost Apple anything), and when they ditch the ODD it would be stupid not to increase the battery size.

But honestly, if they had it as I posted, I would be fine paying $2000 for an i7, so long as it had a screen in the x1050+ range.

22. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

They need to upgrade screen resolution standard as same as the airs, but NOT THE SAME SCREEN, the viewing angles are worth trash. I only like the 13.. i dont do heavy media editing, and i like the compact screen on the 13
    :)

23. nateo200, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm fine with all components soldered on as long as the tech specs are 99999 years ahead of the current standard. So none of this 2GB of RAM BS....like really?! :rolleyes::eek: Handbrake on 4gigs is plenty for my computer :O Also I never want to see 1280x800 as a native resolution on another MacBook again....yes I'm serious...its just wrong to see the 11" air at a higher res than my MBP...13" should be 1440x900, 15" should be 1680x1050~ and the 17" should be 1920x1080/1200 if not higher 2560x1440 would be insane. High pixel density is just such a beautiful thing.

24. Ironsoccerman, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

+1

Isnt the 1280x800 left over from the macbook aluminum to pro conversion like 4 years ago? Come on apple. With a redesign theyve gotta include it. STANDARD, and not the crappy MBA screen either.....:p

EDIT: It is actually left over from the FIRST 2006 Macbook. That is pathetic. this is a PRO apple. PRO FESSIONAL.

25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Seriously! I mean 1280x800 is okay but thats it. I could see that on the white MacBook but not on the pro. The 13inch MBP seams more like a regular MacBook...a high performing 13inch MacBook on par with a 15inch is not unrealistic at all. Hell the iPhone's pixel density is so impressive why not take that over to there MacBook line? A 1680x1050 display on a 13inch screen would be gorgeous! I'd take 1440x900 hell I would take 1366x768!