Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
New Macbook alu , same noisy audio output!! confirmed

i ve just post a new message here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/443692/

3 days old Macbook alu 2.4 ghz 2g ram and 250 hdd japanese version bought in Ginza Store Tokyo.... this is my first mac computer (and my last) and notice from the first day of use the earphone output is noisy but very noisy.... there is no comparison possible, this is a poor quality design, i don t think that can be resolved by update. i ill bring this tomorrow for refund.

one advice don t but it if you plan to listen music,especially in university or calm home use.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I have a hissing and popping MBP. I was about to buy an MB Alu (2.4GHz). If this also has the problems I won't buy.

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
the worst thing that when connected on msn, each new connected friends will launch a popping sound in earphone, and start the "psssssssssss" and stop after 20s . and this for all system sound.

Only a volume control on the earphone can help but can t accept this for a new macbook and since the problem is the same for many years.

anyone with this issue, i think i am not the only one.

someone can confirm that i ve to pay 10% for refund, for a buggy computer.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
They'll have to try to fix it first. If they can't then I'd say they have to accept it back. At least in the UK they would.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I find it disgusting to be honest i really do

Apple are really starting to slide of the cliff

I still need to look at the new ones in person, but im still not very satisfied with them

I think i may get the older model, or try and push my bucks towards the 17' still in the product line

ML

JJBagoose

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
I find it disgusting to be honest i really do

Apple are really starting to slide of the cliff

I still need to look at the new ones in person, but im still not very satisfied with them

I think i may get the older model, or try and push my bucks towards the 17' still in the product line

ML

FYI, I just picked up the 2.0 MB and my audio is great. No hissing through speakers or headphones.

Might just be an isolated issue.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
FYI, I just picked up the 2.0 MB and my audio is great. No hissing through speakers or headphones.

Are the headphones high or low impedance?

This specifically shows up with low impedance headphones (see MBP thread linked above).

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
i agree this totally inacceptable for this product, when i asked for a japanese genius guy i explained the problem in japanese and the guy face seemed out and no complained about this, i think they are aware of this problem....

but they asked me to pay 10%... i ll try tomorrow morning with other japanese manager to avoid to pay for a defect product....
anyway apple is over for me, off course the macbook is perfect shape design but hardware is like written on the macbook "made in china" i ill buy a plastic vaio made in japan, even if there is no backlight keyboard hardware seems better.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I've bought the 2.0ghz model a few days ago, have the same 'hissing issue'. I always keep my headphones connected and the hissing is starting to annoy me now. It didn't happen on my previous Dell machine.

I'll kick fuss with Apple when I am in a bad mood :D

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008

what kind of earphone do u use?? earbud?
off course if i use a heavy logitech headset the hissing is gone, but all the earphone i tested, panasonic and old sony reveal the issue.

no problem with speaker sounds perfect, only headphones output like previous macbook models

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
i agree this totally inacceptable for this product, when i asked for a japanese genius guy i explained the problem in japanese and the guy face seemed out and no complained about this, i think they are aware of this problem....

but they asked me to pay 10%... i ll try tomorrow morning with other japanese manager to avoid to pay for a defect product....
anyway apple is over for me, off course the macbook is perfect shape design but hardware is like written on the macbook "made in china" i ill buy a plastic vaio made in japan, even if there is no backlight keyboard hardware seems better.

This is how a lot of people are feeling i know.

I have a few friends who have flogged the macbooks already saying they cant be doing with the issues and there going vaio

it really is a shame :(

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
thanks for ur supports an comments guys,

french in tokyo, i am a bit lost with japanese mac.... we are now 3 people to have this problem, this is no isolated problem just apple didn t care about audio quality...

the samurai, u ve the samw issue.... i tried all the last update and nothing change, only big heavy headset will bypass the problem.
will u bring back ur mac??

i ill tomorrow, i can t stand this "pchssssssss" for all system sound

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
This is how a lot of people are feeling i know.

I have a few friends who have flogged the macbooks already saying they cant be doing with the issues and there going vaio

it really is a shame :(

Depending on what model, the Vaio is a great computer. I think some of them look awesome also.

My friends new Macbook has a slight hiss and just started last night. We are in the student lounge right now together and I just asked him. He said it isn't bad and he hopes it doesn't get worse.

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
hogfaninga i agree, for use in lound environment or casual use, there is no problem but try to listem classic or jazz or work in librairy with earbud... all system sound launch the ”psssss" for 20 s.

i was thinking for the vaio z but more expensive...

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
hum...new status/

now the macbook keep hissing, no sound played, iddle and hiss sound don t go!!! i ll reboot to see, when played flash video the hiss change temporaly with hight tone. really bad

DeuxIt

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
nose oil remedy

ok. sounds stupid, but try rubbing some oil from your nose on the headphone plug. has worked for me with brand new ipod with hissing and popping problems. must have been some sort of static problem. or something like that.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
ok. sounds stupid, but try rubbing some oil from your nose on the headphone jack. has worked for me with brand new ipod with hissing and popping problems. must have been some sort of static problem. or something like that.

It's not the connection. It's an interference issue.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
thanks for the heads up emotion, this stinks that these machines are doing this now as well.

I was just going to start searching about the new MB for audio issues and have read this thread ,I'm really , really disappointed ,I was going to be buying one or the other this next week.

Is there any Apple machine I could buy for trouble free audio?

I put the link for the MBP below so maybe we can find out if there is a Apple notebook suitable for audio work , I hope so 've been saving for ages and reading up on a lot of different subjects and if their is no machine for audio , I'm going to be seriously pissed off , a long time learning curve for me , all wasted :(

link to:New aluminium MBP hissing /popping like previous gen ?https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6472084#post6472084

MontrealMonger

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Its ridiculous that Apple would let this get through to the new gen of notebooks. Is it safe to assume that the Imac does NOT have this problem and that is a notebook-exclusive issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.