MacBook and Time Machine on External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musicman1234, Nov 29, 2008.

1. musicman1234 macrumors newbie

Ordered a 2.4 Al MacBook yesterday, along with a 500GB External HD for use with Time Machine. Obviously I won't have the HD connected all the time, so how often is it recommended I plug it in for a new backup?

2. ebika macrumors 6502

3. musicman1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

5. ebika macrumors 6502

It boils down to what you consider acceptable if your laptop is stolen, your laptop's drive dies, you accidentally delete a file, or a file gets corrupted. If you're OK with day-old data, then once a day is fine. For most people, there is no regular rhythm to important data... there'll be days of just email and web surfing, when backups are relatively unimportant. Then there'll be the day when you finish your epic manuscript when you'll want the hourly backups running.

If very little changes from backup to backup, Time Machine is very efficient about how much space is gobbled up, so don't worry there. People never regret backing up too much, only too little.

6. musicman1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

true. all i'm really worried about is my iTunes library (once i transfer it from my PC) and my movie collection

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I recommend once a day to plug it in. at night most likely since you get the days work backed up. However, if you can get 2 back ups it would be fine.

As for my iTunes Library, I have 4 copies of it. One at home, one with me (MB), one with my Parents external HD, another at my brother's HD (lol, he likes it cause he can get to watch my movies)

8. musicman1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha then you have less to worry about than me!

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Any chance you are using wifi at home? Get an Airport and plug the HDD in to have TM working in the background all the time.

10. musicman1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

good idea, i hadn't thought of that before.