Macbook Back-lit keyboard only on 2.4Ghz!?! WTF

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tMac85, Oct 14, 2008.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

They have us wrapped around their finger. This pisses me off. Why is it not standard on both.

Apple...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

they do it because they can do it.

people will bitch, but still buy the device.

just like the missing features in the iPhone.

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Whell when the store was originally up it said that it was standard on both models -- but it was probably an error someone made and its back down now to fix it :eek:

5. 226896 Guest

What did the guy say in the new MacBook video? Something along the lines of Apple not saving their best features for their high end products? Yea right Apple.

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

FFS i thought at least it would be on both new models.thats really messed up.but as someone said,they can do it and they will and people can bitch all they want but in the end they will buy it hahaha

7. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I think if anything they should have made it an option on the lower end Macbook. Backlit keyboard is a feature a lot of people would gladly pay for... I guess they think they can bump those people up to the high end models though :eek:

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

No firewire on the new Macbooks yet you choose not having a backlit keyboard as the missing feature to bitch about? Really?

Learn to touch type or use light from the screen. Pretty easy.

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It's a lot less important than the other upgrades, like better GPU.

I like the backlit keyboard on my MBP, but it's honestly not THAT big of a deal IMO. I would trade the MB backlit keyboard for a FW port myself (not that I can.)

10. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

this.

11. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i think people are more pissed about the cost of the feature that apple pays vs. how much they are charging us for it. personally i think it is a neat feature, but not worth $300, i have typed fine for the past few years without it.

This type of marketing happens all the time, but for some reason people seem to get more heated about it in the macbook. Look at the way features are packaged by car companies.

12. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Yep, car companies do the same thing -- do you want nicer trim? -- then pay $3500 for the luxury package.

13. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The store is back now... and the Backlit is still listed as an option on both -- wtf?

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You've gotta pay to play sweetie.

15. Icebird macrumors member

Are you guys sure?

It clearly says when you add the entry-level Macbook to your cart:

Specifications

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

Maybe its there.

By the way, this is on the right side right under "Add to Cart" after you click to Buy the entry-level Macbook and are picking customizations.

edit: Not only that, but if it didn't have a backlight, what would the icon be on the F5,F6 buttons? I would think one of the tech sites would have noticed the missing backlight buttons on the lower-end version.

16. sbornia macrumors member

That's got to be a typo...the Features page makes it clear that only the 2.4 has the backlit keyboard:

[​IMG]

17. 3121 macrumors member

I agree I thought the backlight would be standard on all macbooks not just the top end model.

18. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

Backlit keyboard really isn't a big deal, if you think about it.

If you know how to type, you don't need to look at the keyboard in the first place. That's what those little bumps on the F and J key are for. Plus the screen will give more than enough light on your keyboard if the place is dark.

If you've used a laptop w/o a backlit keyboard in a lecture hall, plane, or anywhere else before and typed without a problem, nothing changes between a regular keyboard and a backlit keyboard.

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Besides looking cool, you are right. I also have a usb plug-in light when (very rarely) I'm in a very dark place and need it. It only cost me $6 and works well.

20. pinktank macrumors 6502

no esata, no fw, no expresscard basically kills the use for an imaging professional, especially for video. I really dont think backlit keyboards are necessary, typing is pretty easy

21. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

Exactly. The major difference is cool factor.

I could be off my rocker, but there are only four differences I see between the 2 new Macbooks:

1. 2.0 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz.
    2. 160 GB HD vs. 250 GB HD
    3. Regular Keyboard vs. Backlit Keyboard
    4. $1299 vs. $1599

Not sure I'd pay $300 more for 0.4 GHz, 90 GB, and shiny keys. But that's just me.

22. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

23. cpatch macrumors member

I ordered the 2.0GHz version online last night. Throughout the entire order process it mentioned the backlit keyboard. I'm sitting here looking at a printout of the order confirmation which also has it listed. So if it comes without one I'm going to be pissed.

24. glide macrumors regular

You should get pissed now. It doesn't have one.

25. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well what you do is call up apple when you get it and complain as loud and as obnoxiously as you can, saying you have a print out that states you should have a back-lit keyboard. It's their mistake, not yours. Hopefully after enough of that they'll offer to exchange it to the better model for a modest upgrade fee. Which i'd be happy with :)