Macbook Batteries aren't working - neither old NOR new!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dzetoad2, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dzetoad2 macrumors newbie

I bought a battery online and just got it 2 days ago, for a macbook circa early 2008 approx (2.4Ghz). Crux of the problem is : Neither battery, with a full charge, will boot or power the computer at all!

Installed iStat. Both the old battery and new battery are exhibiting similar behaviors - the old batt has maybe 170 cycles; the new batt has maybe 5 cycles. Both batteries seem fully charged after charging for awhile (press button on batt = 5 dots of green light for the old batt, 4 dots for the new 'aftermarket' batt).

iStat sometimes showed some funny stats for the new battery - charge = inf, cycles a huge amount , then cycles only 5, etc - makes me think maybe some battery connector wires are loose and easily disconnect internally or something. Visually the connector where the battery terminals connect to the laptop everything looks ok, nothing bent or broken there, it appears.

Anybody run into this problem before?

thanks

dzetoad2

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try resetting the SMC. If neither the old or the new are working, I would suspect something amiss on the Mac.

You can find the instructions for resetting the SMC here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. dzetoad2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: SMC: I tried that last night, merely holding power 5 seconds while all power is disconnected, no effect at all. I'm having trouble believing that would possibly do anything, since to reset a CMOS chip on a desktop, power is required...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Did you think Apple would publish a placebo procedure? :/

Anyway, other questions: does the MagSafe LED show amber? And, after showing battery status, do the LEDs flash?

It could be a problem with the connector inside the battery compartment, or the cable itself, or even a logic board problem.

5. Tarheeldiver macrumors newbie

My Macbook was doing same thing bad logic board thank goodness for Applecare.