Macbook battery 1000 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kayleee, Dec 25, 2015.

1. kayleee macrumors regular

Does apple help
    If macbook battery cycle reaches 1000?
    If its within warranty that is...ofcourse
    I read it somewhere on their official site few months ago..
    I'm at 960 cycles and still have 9 months of apple care

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nope it's a consumable part

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

That's not considered a defect because the battery has 960 cycles. You will have to pay to get it replaced. I've had mine since May and have only 7 cycles. My 2012 MBP that I bought in July has about the same.

4. haydn! macrumors 6502a

The only statement/promise Apple made (on some earlier notebook marketing) was the battery would last 1000 cycles or 5 years before needing replacement, if you're at 960 and still going strong - seems they've lived up to that promise.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You have completely misunderstood the warranty. Apple will consider replacement if the battery health falls below 80% after 1000 cycles, how fast you use those cycles is up to you. Your battery seems perfectly ok so why would you expect any kind of replacement at all.

6. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

okay so it means as long as its health falls below 80% while I'm still under warranty, apple will replace it right?

7. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

That is correct. Unless you're OCD about such things, I would not worry about it.

You could "try" to damage the battery to lower it's health but it would be unsafe and unwise.

8. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

How true! I find it interesting that those of us that do not "monitor" anything about our devices, and just make use of them, never seem to have problems with them whereas those users that install all sorts of monitoring utilities, practice crazy battery discharge/charge regimens, always have self-induced issues.

9. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

10. zone23 macrumors 68000

Not to highjack this thread but I ran a diagnostic on my (mid 2013) bought in 2014 Macbook Air just for fun and it came back with a battery issue of PPT004. Coconut says design capacity is 90.2% and loadcycles 97. All that said I feel like my battery has been dying a little quicker. Any thoughts.

11. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

If your MBA is connected to power over very long periods you should let it discharge about once a month.

The Code means:

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 06.22.31.png

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203747

And here you can find everything about MacBook batteries:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

Thanks yeah I read that stuff already. What threw me off the tracks was that some forum posters say that error is false. I'm gonna chat with apple and see what they say. My laptop is about 5 days out of warranty. I may try and cycle the battery and see if the error goes way.

13. Erdbeertorte, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Have you already tried to reset the SMC and ran the diagnostics again?

Edit:

My Battery often shows just 96-99% when it's fully charged. After the SMC reset it gets back to 100%.

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

I can't say that I have but will tomorrow. I really don't want to send it in for repair but if something's wrong I want to try and get it fixed while close to the end of the warranty period.

15. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

From what you wrote it sounds like a two year warranty. Has Apple Care been available for two years back then?
    I am not sure, but I don't think anything other would cover a free battery repair now.

16. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

7 cycles in 6 months? Hmm, i got mine(13" rMPB 2015) in the beginning of October and I have 58 cycles thus far.

17. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

What does your Coconut Battery info page say your current battery specs are?

I am very interested, because people generally seem to say batteries last longest when they are repeatedly run down - as opposed to being constantly run from mains power.

18. zone23 macrumors 68000

I bought it as a refurbished last year. Not that it matters but its top of the line i7, 8GB, 512SSD. Paid 1400 for it from Apple.

19. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

Ive had the stock battery suddenly drop to 50 percent from 90 percent if I let the battery run down all the way. I heard from a genius years ago that the best time to charge the battery is right at 7 percent. I don't know why 7 percent is so important but thats the magic number. Also never let the battery completely discharge as they have a tendency to not come back all the way or in some cases at all. My first battery failed after just 100 cycles because I always used to leave it on the charger which there are discrepancies about how that affects the life of the battery but the second one I used to drain every week and that seemed to improve the life of the battery significantly.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

That genius didn't deserve his job title, IMO. That's utter bull...

Your first battery was a dud and your experience is purely anecdotal. LiPo batteries do not care one bit how they're treated. The only things you have to worry about are "extremes". Extreme heat (left out in the sun in a black car on a very hot day), extreme cold (left in the car in freezing temps for extended periods of time), and deep discharges (run it till it's dead and leave it like that for 5-6 days.)

Other than that, nothing you do will affect your battery's useful lifetime.

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Must agree with snaky here, there are a lots of old bits of advice and rules for different types of battery, and many old wives tales about batteries and none of them mean anything to a modern LiPo battery.

22. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Keep mine plugged in most of the time and for the last 14 months, no run down

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 4.47.30 AM.png

23. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Yes to this because lithium ion batteries don't like to be run down. They do however like to be used every once in a while.

24. Alexrat1996 Suspended

i got mine in june 57 cycle count with light use