Macbook Battery Recall

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shahvikram123, Apr 15, 2008.

1. shahvikram123 macrumors newbie

I recently came across this article on apples websites about some batteries which were recalled last year due to a defect.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

The article says that any macbooks purchased between February 2006 and April 2007 are eligible for a free replacement battery.

I fall in this category (my macbook was purchased in Jan 07)...

I was just wondering if it would be possible that I could phone up apple and sweet talk my way into getting a free battery.

I guess I would say that I've had my macbook for just over a year know and my battery health has dramatically decreased and is at 70% now... I would then say my cycle count is 115 or something like that...(anything below the 300 cycles mark)

do you think this would work?

I also heard that they require you to send your current battery back to them...is this true?

2. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, it's a replacement, not a free battery program.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, you have to send your old battery back or they charge $129. If you send your battery back and there is nothing wrong with it they can charge you $129. I have used the battery update to get two batteries outside the one warranty replaced and both batteries were 100% dead.

5. shahvikram123 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well, too bad, guess it was worth a try...

I was just wondering, how long did it take for your battery to go '100% dead'

6. eman macrumors 6502a

0 seconds. It would not take a charge and would only run off the magsafe.

7. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

my battery is completely dead, and bought in the period of the recall, but the apple site said something about support for 2 years after buying, and i'm a few months out of that. Will I still get a free battery? Also, mine won't even run off magsafe. Is there any way to bypass the battery when booting so I can still use the comp and hopefully download the battery update?

8. Jaredistheman macrumors member

So i don't really get what the battery up date is supposed to do? I downloaded it but i don't know what good it did. My macbook was made during that time, and i'm at 152 cycles and mine will barely last for an hour, and my battery health is at %51 percent according to coconut battery. So what i'm deducing is if i send in my battery in and apple doesn't find anything wrong with it, according to them, i get charged $129?

9. dL. macrumors 6502

My Macbook is a late 2007 model and my battery completely died in 7 months (with about 50 cycles). So I guess the problem still persist or I'm unlucky? :p

Oh well. I got a replacement already for free obviously and it's been great so far :)

dL

10. cheba63 macrumors newbie

11. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

So I borrowed a battery from a friend, and installed the update, but now when I put my own battery back in, it appears to be charging, but when I turn on the comp, it says not charging and randomly shuts down. One thing that could be a cause of this is that my charger broke and I have been using some off-brand one that I got on eBay. Could that be the problem?

12. cheba63 macrumors newbie

Have your friend drain his battery and let you use it. Turn your comp on and see if it charges and works. If it does, start making the calls to get a new battery from the recall, they'll make an exception for you eventually.

13. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Replaced today, no hassle

They replaced my battery today no hassle. I didn't even have an apointment and I was in and out of the store in half an hour. My battery died to the point where it wouldn't charge. Also the metal cover on the back started separating from the plastic, so it was obviously defective.

He ran a diagnostic and it said "Expired" which means that I used up all my battery life, but he still replaced it anyway. I think I was at 303 cycles, and the limit is 300, so I was in the "Grey area".

I'm very happy with the service I received from Apple today.

14. She macrumors member

Ours was purchased just outside the specified time frame in June 2007 but Coconut Battery says it is 25 months old meaning it was made in April 2007. The battery is only at 33% capacity at 132 cycles. Do you think they would allow a replacement?

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go ask?...

16. She macrumors member

Shops aren't open today, figured I'd ask here first since other people have been asking in this thread too

17. RDM3 macrumors regular

Where do I look on my Macbook to find the number of cycles the battery is at?

18. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You have to download a program. I downloaded coconut battery, based on another thread on macrumors, and it seems to work well :)

ETA: Sorry about that, I see someone answered below. Coconut battery is actually for determining the capacity left in the battery.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

:apple:->About This Mac...->More info...->Hardware->Power->Cycle Count.

20. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I have a core duo macbook and had battery issues from the start of this year - it wouldnt charge to full health or shut down before it had even reached reserve power. I have warranty & accidental damage cover with a 3rd party and they replaced my battery, Id imagine any reseller or apple store would too

21. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

When I owned a white Macbook, my computer had something like 150 cycles but 20% health. 70% health for a 2.5 year old battery is probably not something they'll replace.

22. She macrumors member

Got a free replacement today. The battery capacity dropped from 33% last week to just 19% today - well & truly dying. Brought it into the Apple store & showed the Genius Bar guy the Coconut Battery stats, he plugged in an old ipod nano which had a Battery Test, ran that and sure enough the battery was bad. Filled out some paperwork, he switched out the batteries and we were on our way.

Oh and he asked if we had Apple Care (we did) but I'm pretty sure this recall didn't come under it

23. GeeMIC macrumors newbie

My laptop falls under the dates im running on a Black Intel MacBook. But i have 525 cycles so does that unqualify me?

My battery is deformed! The plastic is sticking out far.

NYC

NM i think i found my answer
    As of May 31, 2009, this program is closed. Via apple.com

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Probably not. Even if you did have a good charge @ 525 cycles, it's past the 300 cycle count which means your battery would need to be replaced anyway.

25. GeeMIC macrumors newbie