MacBook battery while plugged in?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Buskape, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I have a question about the unibody macbook battery,

when it is plugged in, and fully charge (icon says "Recharged") does the power automatically come directly from the adapter or still from the battery?

Does the battery unloads itself to 99% then charges back to 100% all the time? or is there some smart system that prevents that?

I guess if it didn't it after 100 recharges of going from 99 to 100% it would count as a cycle??

Thanks for enlighting me up!

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't know exactly what happens, but I know that the battery DOES NOT drop charge while plugged in, and I have noticed that it will not start recharging until it gets down to under 94%. Like for instance, if you unplug your laptop for a few minutes, when you go plug it back, it won't start charging if it's over 95%.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your Mac uses your adapter. However, when your Mac requires more power than what your AC can provide (eg when you put 100% processing power due to video encoding) then your Mac uses both your AC and battery.

That is why Apple recommends not to take off your Mac's battery.

You can find the article for this by clicking me.

4. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I never knew that. Learn something new everyday. I just heard not to take the battery out, now I know why, thanks.

5. ehotwill macrumors newbie

Since someone is talking about battery I do have a battery related question. I just got the unibody MacBook and have been using it for the last few days. One thing I noticed and wondered whether this is something normal with these macbooks or it's just mine. I think it takes long time to fully charge the battery. I would think two hours should be more than enough to fully charge the battery, but it's still charging as I am typing this post. Is it perhaps because the battery is Li Polymer? Like I said this is my very first Mac and I don't know whether this is the norm or something is wrong with my macbook. Other than that I'm having a very fun and interesting time just poking around trying to acclimate myself to OS X.

ehotwill

6. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Your not alone my takes forever to charge also.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's normal. Using your Mac it takes a while to charge up. As it gets closer to 100% it will take even more. Think of filling a glass of water. At first you start fast, then slow down to drops.

However, if your Mac is asleep or off, battery chargers way faster.

8. ehotwill macrumors newbie

Thank you for your info. :D And you are right about it taking even longer as it nears completion; it's like watching water drip, drip, drip as if it's just trying to top off just at the brim.