Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skydiver32

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2009
So I've decided to get my first Mac because my current PC is coming very close to having a meeting with a wall. It's just about dead.

Anyway, I understand that there is no major changes expected for the MB series at the WWDC, but being just a couple of weeks away, I rather wait for the possible upgrade or maybe pay a little less for the current models.

The problem is I've been using my GFs computer but would like return it to her. So if I were to purchase a MB just before the WWDC (14 days) would I be able to return it and exchange for the upgraded Mac?

Thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Yes, you could return it, but you'll pay a 10% restocking fee seeing how there would be nothing wrong with it, and you'd have opened/used it.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
True, if you aren't in a rush, wait, if you need it now, get it and enjoy it :D
Every day new technology comes out, so just go with the flow

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
I'm waiting. It's rumored apple is going to slash prices. And besides I graduate this summer so I won't even really need the computer all that much. I'll just use my 3 year old ibook. I keep trying to break it but it just keeps going. :eek:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If they stop producing the white MacBook, there will be some great deals to be made. Not heard any changes to inventory level for them, anyone heard a decrease in non-uMBs numbers?

amabo

macrumors member
May 2, 2009
They won't touch laptop prices at WWDC - it's not what they've done in the past and it's not what they're going to do now. It's not going to happen.

They will keep the white macbook around because it's, as they've stated, their best selling laptop to date. They still need to get it out too all the college-bound in the fall and then they will revise laptops if at all later, as they've previously done.

I'm mostly just saying this not only because I believe it, but because I'm typing this message from a 2-day old refurbished white macbook and don't want it to be true.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
It's rumored apple is going to slash prices.
the only time you see the words "apple" and "slash prices" in a trues statement is when "is not going to" is in between:p. Maybe a price drop but I can't see prices "slashed" maybe a $50-$150 price drop? If that, Apple ain't charity you know.
SG :apple:

EDIT: And I am 99.9% sure that this would not be at WWDC, if ever. But I sure would like it... :p

Skydiver32

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2009
My rationale, from what I have read, is that there may be a bump in speed, maybe a bigger HD and just maybe 3G. If any of this comes true, I doubt that the current UMB will remain the same price. Why would you buy a "lesser" product for the same price?

I'm hoping there is going to be a highly unexpected major upgrade (I know it's very unlikely), or at least some drop in price to make the jump into the Mac world a little more pleasant.

Does anybody know if they are planing on offering the free ipod and printer in the summer?

If there is an upgrade when does it usually make it to the stores? Same, day, week, month?

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
There has to be either a speed bump or a drop in prices. With Intel dropping their prices in June, Apple won't get away with keeping the UMB the same.

MrZebra

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
There has to be either a speed bump or a drop in prices. With Intel dropping their prices in June, Apple won't get away with keeping the UMB the same.

Oh they will, I can tell you. Many people buy that laptop because it's beautiful and attractive, not because of the price; there are many customers who think that the price tag is not that relevant when considering a purchase.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
Oh they will, I can tell you. Many people buy that laptop because it's beautiful and attractive, not because of the price; there are many customers who think that the price tag is not that relevant when considering a purchase.

Exactly. People buying Macs tend to not to be too concerned of the entry price, just the price to the next Mac up. So, as the base laptop, the pice is not as noticeable.
SG :apple:

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
What are you getting at? They've had plastic notebooks forever and they just started to touch on a unibody design.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I am graduating from high school, so I am definitely waiting until after WWDC to buy. If it's a price drop, I could use the extra cash. If it's a speed bump, it will help me not have to replace it during my four years of college. If it's 3G, well...crap.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Everyone obviously knows what 3G is, but what would a macbook having 3G mean?

Putting 3G support in a MacBook would only mean that you could sign up for a 3G data plan (probably AT&T) and use it without having a usb dongle or an ExpressCard. It would really just be a built in antennae, like Airport Extreme.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
What a nightmare, haha, but I bet it would be good for people always on the go.

Although these same people would likely have a 3G phone.

I'm not sure if you could combine your phone plan and your laptop plan, I think that would be a great idea. One plan for your phone and laptop. Of course, they would probably charge you waaaaaaaay more :(

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
What are you getting at? They've had plastic notebooks forever and they just started to touch on a unibody design.

What I'm saying is that in todays market, you can't have a laptop sit at the same price with the same specs for a year.

When people go back to school, what are they going to see? A MacBook with 2.0ghz, 160gb HD and 2gb of ram for the same price it was selling for in Oct/08 vs. a Win based laptop that is faster, more ram and a HD twice the size.

If Apple doesn't either drop their prices in line with the Intel price cuts and/or up the specs, they'll lose big during back to school time because I guarantee Dell/Sony/HP will be offering some good stuff.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
If Apple doesn't either drop their prices in line with the Intel price cuts and/or up the specs, they'll lose big during back to school time because I guarantee Dell/Sony/HP will be offering some good stuff.

I completely agree. I promised myself (after buying my iMac) that I would never buy a PC again, but with college coming up and MacBooks being on the expensive side, I have been exploring my options with PC's. I really don't want to leave Apple, but if it comes down to money, I think I might have to!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.