MacBook - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hellomoto4, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Okay so I'm looking into buying another computer and I want it to be a MacBook.

I'm not sure if I should wait to see if an updated/new/revamped MacBook comes out as rumored for October. I read the buyersguide and it says not to buy at the moment, but I currently don't have a computer at all.

What should I do - wait for the revamped MacBooks (will they be worth the wait?) or buy one now?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What should you do? SEARCH. NOW. Mods, delete this thread.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Advice in a nutshell would be if you need it - buy now, and if you simply want it, defer buying until the updates have been issued.

Nobody quite knows when the updates are due and you will always be able to sell a MB should you wish to upgrade. Alternatively, if you do not care for the upgrades when they appear, go for a refurb model as they enjoy all of the benefits of an Apple warranty (which can be upgraded to Applecare if need be) and have been rigorously tested by Apple, and will probably come with a generous discount.
    Cheers and good luck

4. Gordon90s macrumors newbie

I personaly would recommend you to wait. On the latest rumors they say the refresh will be on october 14th and I guess there are right about that! Anyways before Xmas they have to refresh their computers, if you buy now you'll pay the same price for less. If you wait you'll either get a cheaper old macbook or a brand new one!

I'm waiting till july for update cause my laptop crashed. If you can't wait, I might recommend you one of those mini laptops from Asus (eee somthing). You get them for like 250$ and they seem pretty cool, i might buy one myself.

5. hellomoto4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Thanks to those who legitmately replied.

To all those that said "search the forums" blah blah, those threads are dated older and the curcumstances would be different when buying a MacBook say 3 months ago as opposed to now.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Actually the circumstances were exactly the same 3 months ago. Not to mention there are a vast number of threads on this topic with different titles. Many people believed the MBs were going to be updated in June, then July, then August, then September... But this time I think MR is right. (Hopefully).

7. windowpain macrumors 6502a

To be fair to the OP, this is the part of the forum to discuss 'Buying tips and advice'

and the sticky at the top says
    But as you can see you are going to annoy a lot of people by repeating questions that are asked many times a week. Was it really necessary to start a new thread?

You could have written about why you are wanting to buy a new one (I mean what are you going to use it for? games? web browsing? video editing?), it would help greatly if you want advice on wether to buy a new(er) one or not. or how much money you are looking to spend..?

The advice remains ..'buy now if you need it, if not, wait..'

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Recommending that you search before posting such a commonly asked question is a "legitimate" response. The search results I posted are all within the past year. If you spend less time criticizing those who are trying to help you and actually take the time to look, you'll see that using MRoogle to search the forums, you can filter the time frame, even down to the past 24 hours.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.