MacBook: buy now vs. wait for update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tazy, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Tazy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #1
    Hi all,

    I'm in the market for a MacBook (model: white w/ superdrive). Is there a hardware update expected based on past pattern of updates for this line?
    I don't think the black hardware is justifiable for the price difference.
    Thanks.
     
  2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #2
    Buy now. It's just been updated a few months ago.
     
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #3
    They were updated in November, so not before May, June, or July. Probably mid to later, certainly not worth waiting that long.
     
  4. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #4
    According to the buyers guide on this site it's mid-cycle right now. I"d get one now - I picked up a white 2.2 over the weekend :)
     
  5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #5
    congrats!!
     
  6. ewxlt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
  7. Tazy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #7
    Waw! I did not expect a slew of responses! Thank you ALL.

    On a related note, I am of the opinion that the black model still does not present a justifiable advantage -- given that I use a USB HD for large storage. Am I missing something obvious?
     
  8. pointycollars macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Location:
    Cincinnati
    #8
    No, you're not missing anything. There's no reason the black macbook should cost $200 more, it's basically just a tax on those who want to be more stylish, because apple knows there are people willing to pay more just for vanity.
     
  9. ewxlt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #9
    ....like pointy collars?:rolleyes:
     
  10. weizilla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #10
    i'm in the same situation where i have to decided if i should get a macbook now or wait.

    is there a chance the macbook will get updated with the new intel processor or an LED backlit screen like the MBP?
     
  11. goose1873 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location:
    Erie, PA
    #11
    There's no better time then the present. The SR C2D processors are going to be there for a while. Just upgrade the RAM yourself...apple will kill you with upgrades...
     
  12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

    spaceballl

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #12
    Wait for the 45nm chips - better performance, better battery life... plus, it's always best to buy right after an update!
     
  13. xraydoc macrumors 604

    xraydoc

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #13
    Something better will always come along. Buy your machine when you need it, and enjoy it. It does not cease to be functional when new ones eventually come out. And come out they will... eventually.
     
  14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #14
    Whatever happens won't happen until it happens in the Macbook Pro. Note the 17" MBP doesn't have an LED screen. Note none of the MBPs have the new Intel processor.
     
  15. Eallan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #15
    I can't understand why the LED backlight screen from the MBA isn't in the regular Macbook!
     
  16. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    Location:
    Shanghai, China
    #16
    it's abit of a gamble as to whether to buy now or wait. macbooks have always been updated in november and may in the last couple of years, so may could be the next update, but who knows.

    i'm happy because i switched to mac and bought a macbook just as they were updated and just as leopard was released :)
     
  17. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #17
    I'd buy now if i were you! As mentioned, they are updated every 6 months or so, so within 6 months it'll be 'slightly' outdated anyway, but other than a slight cpu upgrade i personally doubt it'll be anything major!

    Just get it and be loving it! Now if you were saking about the Macbook Pro i'd say wait, since their upgrade appears to be imminent, and possibly a design overhaul!

    Let us know how you get on
     
  18. weizilla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #18
    the hard part for me is that i have a IBM T40 which works perfectly fine for what I do right now (C/C++/Java programming + surfing the net). I want to get MB for the portability and battery life since i'm still in school and i have to carry it between home and school everyday.
    But i'm also graduating soon (May/June) after which I'll be working full time and won't really need a new laptop because I have a perfectly good desktop which is way better than any laptop I could get.
    So i could either buy a new macbook now and use it only for 4 months or just tough it out until i start working.
    And a part of me also wants to get a new 15" MBP even though it's not as portable as the MB, cost more and has less battery time... which basically goes against all of the reasons I want a new laptop in the first place :eek:
    I think in the end, i'll just wait until this rumored Feb 26 update and hopefully by then, i'll be able to convince myself of my need for a new toy :)
     
  19. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

    tjcampbell

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #19
    Buy now!

    I just bought a BlackBook and I love it. Great lil' whizzy machine.

    I had been waiting for the ultraportable and for me, the MB Air was a disappointment. That said it made me realize just how damn sweet the MacBook is.
     
  20. mavherzog macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #20
    The MacBook Air is like a glimpse into the future.

    The future screen for the MacBooks and the future keyboard for the MacBook Pro's (like it or not, SJ is gaga over that keyboard).
     
  21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #21
    maybe LED back-lit LCD screen is a bit more costly than the one they use in MacBook?
     
  22. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #22
    No, I think they will use the LED display in the next MacBook revision in May and maybe even aluminum (more environment-friendly).
     
  23. cbradleyrun macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #23
    Same situation

    I'm in the same situation... I'm a PC owner and I'm going to use my tax return to purchase a 2.2 White MB. Of course I'm waiting to the last possible second to ensure there won't be any immediate updates. This Apple event rumored for February (SDK release?) is the only thing stoping me. I want to make sure there aren't any "One-more-thing" announcements about the MB's. You never know... if your going to update the MBP's, why not the whole line? It's really a fair assumption.
     
  24. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

    bluedoggiant

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    MD & ATL,GA
    #24
    What about Penryn? that seems like something i would wait for (battery life)
     
  25. sowillo14 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #25
    I had a white, but now a black macbook. I think the $200 extra is worth it to not see every little spec of dirt and grime. Also the white track pad tends to get a black smudge in the center of it. They're both great computers though. All preference.
     

Share This Page