MacBook Case Cracking, Covered under Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ~David, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ~David macrumors regular

~David

The edges of my MacBook are beginning to crack in two spots, the first and most severe is in the spot where the lid-spacer hits on the wrist pad when the lid is closed, the plastic is actually cracked almost right to the edge and is on the verge of chipping off, and the other spot is on the side of the case, I can see a crack starting to form but it isn't too serious yet.

Are these cracks/chips covered under warranty? They did not come from abuse or accident of any kind, simply from standard use.

The 1st crack on the wrist pad is right where my wrist rests and is starting to get extremely annoying.

I got my MacBook in November 07 (It's the SR model)

Thanks.

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I believe I've heard stories of people getting their cases replaced under AppleCare.

3. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

I don't have AppleCare, but I am still under the 1 year warranty.

4. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

From what ive seen read on here, you can get it fixed because you are under the one year.

5. dj420118 macrumors regular

I've personally have gotten my case replaced twice because of cracking...apple never hesitated to replace it for me.

6. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

Mine too

I have a very small crack on the corner. Went to my local apple store and was told to bring it back next week and they will fix it by the end of the day! I am under the 1 year warranty and do not have Apple care.

My MBM is a very tough machine as my wife treats it like it is indestructible, but the MB is not as tough, and I will consider buying apple care for the first time...

7. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I'll be bringing it into the Apple store asap :)

Just another small Q now, do they replace the entire case or just the top piece (wrist pad/keyboard cover)?

8. weizilla macrumors regular

what happens if this occurs after the initial warranty ends and you don't have apple care? would they be nice about it and replace it anyways or just tell you "tough luck, should of brought applecare"?

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i had the entire top replaced, so i got a new keyboard as well

10. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

they most like will charge you for it

11. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

I've not personally experienced this but a friend has and had his case replaced under the 1 year warranty, with no Apple care.

12. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I had mine replaced under the standard warranty.

The MacBook upper case is one piece, including the keyboard, so you'll get a new keyboard as well.

This seems to be a known flaw with the MacBook.

13. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I had mine replaced a month or two ago, no problems, only took an hour to do, covered under warrenty.

14. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with the wrist pad cracking where the spacers touch, but mine has chipped off on both sides of the touchpad! Yes, it's very irritating to the wrists! I'm past my one year warranty but I have AppleCare.
    Will my AppleCare cover the wrist pad replacement, no charge?
    In everyone's experience what's the best way to get it done; call Apple or take it to a store?

15. Praetorian® macrumors regular

Praetorian®

I heard that case-cracking is issue of previous MB revisions. Is that true or does this happen to new MBs (released November 1st) too?
    I know that people, whose MB is ok, do not write here "It's not cracking" but I'm worrying about it, because I wanna buy white MB.
    And because of these small issues (case-cracking, scratching, discoloration) I'm not sure whether to buy or not. :(

16. Maagus macrumors regular

My Macbook is absolutely OK and so is probably 99% of those who don't post because they are happy with their Macbook. You should buy it ;)

17. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

as stated in numerous other spots, yes applecare will cover this no charge

if you can take it to store it will go faster (some have reported it being done same day)

18. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

@marykay9507:
    Thanks! I'll have to take it in soon and git 'er done.

19. suzie macrumors newbie

Chip on left hand corner casing

Thanks guys this was so good to find as this morning when I opened my computer which is sitting on my desk, I was horrifed to see a chip on the corner.
    So happy to find this thread. Now to see how we go in Australia- I have a white 222 bought october 2007

20. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Just found that mine cracked as well on the right side where the rubber thing on the top of the screen hits. How long is this repair generally? Do I get the new keyboard from the SR mb?

21. PDE macrumors 68020

once you get it replaced, do yourself a favor and the excellent Moshi palmguards to protect it and spread out the impact over a wide area. I think they'll prevent further cracking.

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You're not alone there are loads of people suffering from case cracks on their MacBooks, though the location of those cracks that make me think they're either applying too much downward force on the palm-rest.. or packing their bags too tightly..

[​IMG]

However, I think some cracks are a result of poor quality material particularly those that appear where you don't actually rest your wrists, here are some examples I've found... I hope Apple are looking into bettering their product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MORE

23. NamisloC macrumors newbie

I would just like to say I had the keyboard replaced on my computer while it was still covered under warranty and they didn't replace the wrist pad. When I received my computer back through DHL I checked it and it still had the speakers with tiny particles in the holes and the wrist pad was still messed up. For whatever reason my wrist pad began to turn black shortly after I got it and the apple store said this was because of my hands and it would not be covered under warranty. I disputed this because you could clearly see where the finish was wearing off of computer. I ended up buying this Marware thing to go over the wrist pad and it's working well (and it's more comfortable).

24. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Got my computer back today, less than 24 hours turn around. Have a new top complete with new keyboard, trackpad, palm rest--everything!

25. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

I am having this problem with my Macbook as well, Apple said they will replace it, but it it will take 3-5 business days. This is pathetic, I can see that if I were to be the one doing the repair, it would only take me about 30 minutes and that's because I don't know exactly where the connectors are and have to be more careful than they do.

Really, it's a simple fix that should be able to be repaired while in the store.