MacBook Case Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BerryJuice, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BerryJuice macrumors newbie

This happened to the inner part of my case on my MacBook and I think it's because of the magnet latch thing on top. This has really been bothering me, so my question is, is there any way for me to replace only this part of my case (the whole hand rest/keyboard area)?

Attached Files:

2. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

3. BerryJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

But thats the thing, as far as I remember there hasn't been one time where it's been slammed shut.

4. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Take it to the Apple Store, they will fix it. They know it is a problem and fixed mine out of warranty.

5. BerryJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have Apple Care and I've had it for over a year so it's no longer on warranty. Any clue how much it would cost? Or if there is an easier/cheaper way of doing myself/having a friend do it for me?

6. marvel2 macrumors 6502

When I said "out of warranty," I meant that my machine no longer had warranty left and no apple care. My machine was a white 2.0 core duo macbook. I showed it to the genius, he said they will fix it even though I told him I no longer had warranty.

7. BerryJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

8. baustromverteil macrumors newbie

I had the same problem fixed yesterday by my local service provider (they rock: i got it repaired on the same day)
    Also check if your bottom case has any cracks, mine was slightly cracked where the lcd is mounted. I didn't notice it at all but the guy in the shop I gave my macbook to took a closer look and exchanged the bottom case to, so my macbook is all new and shiny as the keyboard/trackpad gets exchanged with the palmrests :eek:)

good luck!

9. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

Please don't post stupid comments like this.. it has nothing to do with shutting the lid roughly. The problem is due to a gross design defect.

10. enjel macrumors newbie

This is refreshing to know! I have been facing this blemish on my MacBook for 2 months already... and it's amazingly located exactly where BerryJuice's crack is. I actually saved the piece that has detached from the edge of the hand rest and almost considered super gluing it. But I didn't wanna downgrade it's appearance any lower. I was discouraged at first, but now relieved that I can repair this minor flaw on my MacBook. The little crevice of a crack on my MacBook has most likely collected some dust, dander, and my right hand's exfoliating dead skin cells. Kinda freaked me out. But, thanks for the vital information... (Yes, I am newbular on here). I hope the Apple Store can take care of this with no rebuttals.

Attached Files:

• MB.jpg
      MB.jpg
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Thetics macrumors regular

You should be more careful when you open your lid.

12. mr. feeny macrumors member

Very good to know.

13. BerryJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to the Mac store today and they said this is an issue with the first gen macbooks because of the material used to make it. They replaced the whole keyboard area at no charge and not only that but also replaced my dying battery at no charge. I recommend whoever has this issue do the same and take your macbook in to your local apple store.

Thank you so much for all your help.

14. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

my only comment is that, the issue wasn't just isolated to 1st gen macbooks

15. MacDanielG macrumors member

16. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that this is something Apple will fix. I love my MB, but I'm picking up a pro in June and I want to be able to hand my MB off to my wife without the crack in the casing.

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i have this same problem. i tryed to glue it but it just kept coming off. now i'm gonna go to the apple store and get it fixed

18. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

so i took this to apple and they fixed it for free for me too:)

19. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

This has happened to my girlfriends white macbook but not to my blackbook. Does anyone know if this has happened to a blackbook?

BTW; Apple says they will fix hers free of charge as well.

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I think its a problem with both colors of the first revision MacBook's. The material used was not of the highest quality, causing the edges of the case to crack. Apple is replacing the case of both colors I believe.

21. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

the problem happens regularly to both black and white macbooks of all generations.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

IT hasn't happened to the current generation yet because it's simply too new. Apple has also changed the case a bit on the current models.

23. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

That seems to be pretty harsh to say this is a GROSS design defect. The MBP uses a latch which causes the sides to warp upwards so the laptop is never really closed which allows for particles to enter the space between the halves.

It seems maybe there are downside to both closure methods.

It does seem to happen less frequently though for people who open and close very carefully.

24. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

When a problem is of such as scope as to effect virtually every macbook if they are used long enough, I'd say that it's a gross problem. The issue isn't so much the method of holding the lid shut but the design of the top case and the materials used.

25. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Yeah, it shouldn't be affecting as many as it seems to affect. On the upside though, at-least Apple is replacing cases which have this problem.