Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumel619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
I'm facing issue with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

I was using original charger all time. And last month, my charger started showing problems.
Charger stopped working.

Laptop works completely fine.

Thus bought another charger. The same thing happened with new charger after 1 week of use.
It got burnt. Totally 5 pins are there in charger. 2nd & 4th pin has got burnt in both the charger.
Now I feel the problem is with charging port in the laptop. That is also burnt. Please refer the image.

Now how to solve this?
What parts would be required

There is no problem with the laptop as I m using it now.

Attachments

• IMG_6822.JPG
    IMG_6822.JPG
    790.3 KB · Views: 4,942
  • IMG_6820.JPG
    IMG_6820.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 689
Reactions: HenryDJP

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Was the replacement charger a genuine Apple-brand, or a cheaper knock-off?

If the latter, I wouldn't keep using it after you replace the DC-in board. The same thing might happen again...

kumel619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Reactions: BigMcGuire

h8feopfepoj

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2021
QUESTIONS:

1. Is it a common failure on macbooks to have the magsafe ports burn?
2. Is following burn pattern common: 'oxoxo' (x means burned, o is for fine)
3. are maybe the magsafe ports programmed to fail?

WHY I ASK:
I had the same problem exactly years ago in 2017 I believe; the two pins next to the end exactly like you. I had it port replaced, but now I'm back on the web for this topic since one of my far end pins have started to get burned again. This will be the third time if it fails. Although second time I can't remember which pins it was.

The only recent change I can think of this time is that I updated to 'macOS 10.13 High Sierra'. I am not sure but this might also been the case back when i had the same pins as you burned. My mac is a 'mid 2012 retina 15" a1398'.

It's also a bit suspicious I had it happen 5 years after I bought given that it was the life span of the warranty in that country. Or close to 5 years actually so I made apple repair it.. Eventually though. But it took me days of arguing with their customer support over basic logic. They tried blame it on humidity (skip over a pin), but that's another story. Anyway.

Apple have had a history of program in failures before if I'm not mistaking so I wonder if this could be the case with magsafe too. At least I remember such thing was the case back when apple got indicted over iPod batteries being programmed to fail.

TL;DR
Magsafe's fail, replies are appreciated, especially if you had yours burn like this too: 'oxoxo'

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.