Macbook Charging Port Corroded..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by esadb, Sep 24, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Looking at some macbook that's 2.5years old its a 2008 model. I inquired about further details (specs).

But i guess it has corrosion on the side where the charger plugs in so it doesn't charge the battery..

Any ideas why this would corrode in the first place? Is it even worth looking at this laptop? Its a decent price just depending on the specs now of it of course.

This would be one of those aluminum body ones correct?

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It was probably some kind of liquid or moisture, if your good with taking things apart then it may be worth it, it may not depending on how far the corrosion goes and if it goes into the system and onto the d/c board or the logic board.

If your not good with electronics and servicing/taking them apart to inspect and clean then I wouldn't touch it if I were you.

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Actually I am pretty good with it. Shes saying its the White model.. Kinda dissapointed as i was hoping for the aluminum one..

Anyways she just had a brand new hard drive put into it. new screen/keyboard panel. Shes asking 250$ for it.

What do you guys think its worth? I was thinking like 150?

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well see it is I picked up a aluminum macbook that needed repair for $225, I would say $150 would be a good offer maybe a little less.

You might get lucky and be able to take out the d/c board by following an ifixit guide and clean it and the port with alcohol and a toothbrush and get it to work.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Corrosion of the MagSafe connector doesn't make much sense unless the plug or the port is damaged. The tips of both are gold-plated, which does not corrode.

6. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well now she replied to me and I don't think she knows what shes really talking about..

First I asked her for the specs and she said its the same as the currently ones on the apple website.. So I said well cant be if its 2.5 years old.. I also asked her what size hard drive was put in and she replied "1G" No idea what that means.

I told her that's impossible and I am interested and could tell her how to obtain the exact specs and just waiting for a reply. Id like to see this thing but its about hour and a half away from.. I could get my buddy to look at it hes there but hes clueless on macs..

Im almost thinking 100$ and me driving out there is more than enough.

Comes with charging cord, media remote, install disks, monitor hookup cable..

Pretty much a complete system really..

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Hmm sounds kind fishy to me... But maybe she is just clueless. If you offered $100 and she accepts and it's legitimate I would do it. Post backs with pics and we'll try and help you get the charger port figured out if you get it, I'm curious as to why the outside of the port corroded.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If she can give you the serial number, you can look it up on Apple's website and get the specs.

9. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah she didnt reply anymore.. Ill give it another day then ill send her an email under my gfs account and see :)

10. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

So I got a hold of her again through my gf's email :)

So the laptop does not work while its plugged in either, basically once battery is dead the laptop is dead.

I asked her again for the exact specs and I'm gonna offer her 100$ for this I believe once she replies.

You guys think its worth 100$?

11. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well those are the specs apparently.. Which sounds to me as one of those brand new macbooks.. 10hour battery life..?? :confused:

Since the place is about 1.5h away, im thinking of telling her 150.. then get my buddy (lives there) or me drive there and looking at it realizing those are not the actual sepcs.. and then complaining and knocking it down even more.

What do you guys think?

12. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Go for it, if it's a current spec one it would definetly be worth it to troubleshoot and fix. :)

I'm curious on how this will end up.

13. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Told her $100 and i could drive down. Unless she could come to my city and we could work something out. Still im sure those are not the specs of that laptop just doesnt sound right..

That battery life is only the brand new macs, but we'll see either way what she says.

She didnt reply to me last week when i inquired about it so shes probably gonna get right pissed off and just not answer again.. things been for sale for over a month now..

14. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Shes willing to do 150$ and send it over Bus to me.. Hmm.. I told her i want to see this thing beforehand.

15. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Tell her to take pictures.. Then post here. :)

16. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well turns out that shes located 1.5km away from where my buddy lives in that same city. So hes gonna be doing the picking up :)

I told her that id drive down and lowered the price to $100. While buddy is gonna walk/drive over ;)

Picking up on monday i guess but ill report back when i get it. Hopefully its the magsafe board (30$) and i can sell this puppy and make some cash.

What do you guys think this thing would be worth? Fully functional. Lets say specs 2.4ghz, 120-250gb hdd, 2gb ram.

17. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

18. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well just got the macbook.. Turns out its not quite like the specs..

Its a Mid 2007 Model, 2ghz core 2 duo, 1gb ram, 150gb hdd.

I managed to put my blackbooks battery in it and its running now, currently on it. While im charging its actual battery in my blackbook.

The macbook is in prestine condition. The cover on it is like sparkling white. Not a single scratch or wear or tear..

Now when i plug the charger into the port it flashes green, but then nothing happens. Doesnt charge or anything. Light goes off and just stays unlit.

Ill post some pics of the macbook..

Let the troubleshooting begin :)

19. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

20. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well using my blackbooks charger.. I get it to pick up. And it lights up green so it runs off the charger. But the battery indication says Battery Not Charging.

21. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

22. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Is this good?

[​IMG]

23. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Since you already have a blackbook, you already have a lot of spare parts. Try taking the dc-in board out of your blackbook, and put it in the whitebook. If it works at that point, you know that it is obviously the dc-in board. If it does not work at that point, try replacing the logic board. It will almost certainly work at that point.

24. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah i was thinking of doing that dc port swap in. I just don't want to end up with 2 broken macs lol..

Im a bit scared to temper with my blackbook, but Im still gonna attempt it

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Or you could just examine your other option. Use the blackbook to charge the whitebook's battery and just do that forever. You know what I mean?

But if you really want to repair it, use www.ifixit.com 's guides.