Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Hey Guys!

Im new here and new to having a Mac but i recently got the new white MacBook for my birthday and its gone really grubby where i lean my hands and use the select button for the mouse, any suggestions how to make it white again??
please please help

Gem :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I just got myself a standard micro fibre cloth from LIDL (the non-schratching kinf for glass etc), which I use dry or slightly damp if it's really dirty (not wet! nor with any chemicals!), on both the screen and on/around the keyboard, and my MacBook is as new... :)

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I just got myself a standard micro fibre cloth from LIDL (the non-schratching kinf for glass etc), which I use dry or slightly damp if it's really dirty (not wet! nor with any chemicals!), on both the screen and on/around the keyboard, and my MacBook is as new... :)
ummm i've tried a damp cotton clothe and its not making any difference, maybe i will take it back and see what the store say as its only 3 weeks old! :(

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Cotton isn't any good. And could potentially scratch your screen if you use it there. Try a warm, damp micro fibre cloth and "scrub" it.

If that doesn't help, and the MacBook slowly turns yellow/light brown on the hand rests, it's time to call Apple: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058
its not my screen its where my hands are leaning on the case and around the keyboard, its grey and looks dirty.
I contract Apple techies today and they said to try clean it with a damp clothe so i did and when nothing happened they said to take it back to get the casing changed....:(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
brightongem said:
its not my screen its where my hands are leaning on the case and around the keyboard, its grey and looks dirty.
I contract Apple techies today and they said to try clean it with a damp clothe so i did and when nothing happened they said to take it back to get the casing changed....
Yes I know, but I like using the same cloth for both screen and hand rests/keyboard, and cotton isn't touching my screen... ;)

Seriously, though. I sounds a bit like you may have gotten one of those with a discolouration problem, and Apple has acknowledged that and will replace the plastic top for you, if it turns out to be the case. Take it in so they can have a look at it...

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm nearly tempted to buy some of this stuff

Edit link doesnt work on the apple.com/au website its the Monster Iclean Travel size screen cleaner

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yes I know, but I like using the same cloth for both screen and hand rests/keyboard, and cotton isn't touching my screen... ;)

Seriously, though. I sounds a bit like you may have gotten one of those with a discolouration problem, and Apple has acknowledged that and will replace the plastic top for you, if it turns out to be the case. Take it in so they can have a look at it...
id never use a cotton cloth on the screen, i use a special one that come with it.
Yer i'm taking it back tomorrow as Apple advised. Thanks for all your advise!

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
viccles said:
I'm nearly tempted to buy some of this stuff

Edit link doesnt work on the apple.com/au website its the Monster Iclean Travel size screen cleaner
Yer thats the stuff i've been looking at! get it cheaper if u google it by the way!

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
I have just been told by my friend who works for Apple that the newer MacBook have got a problem with the top casing with getting rid of dirt/oil.
Apple are aware of this and if you call Apple care service or take it back to the place or purchase they will change the top case free of charge...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Cotton isn't any good. And could potentially scratch your screen if you use it there. Try a warm, damp micro fibre cloth and "scrub" it.

How is the dampness going to help with the grease on the palmrests?

Oh, and if you get the top plastic above the keyboard replaced like I did, it may include a piece of plastic film on the palmrest area (placed there by the manufacturer). When I got my MB back, I kept the plastic there. I'm sure it was meant to be removed, but I'm not going to. ;)

brightongem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Stoke-on-Trent
Abstract said:

Oh, and if you get the top plastic above the keyboard replaced like I did, it may include a piece of plastic film on the palmrest area (placed there by the manufacturer). When I got my MB back, I kept the plastic there. I'm sure it was meant to be removed, but I'm not going to. ;)

Ouu lovely! ta babe

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iKlear is a polish...it won't do anything about the palm rests. Remember on the iBooks how it turned brown on the palm rest area after a while? I always used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, but I am afraid to do it on my MacBook without knowing what it might do to the finish/texture.

Has anyone tried yet?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Abstract said:
Warm is the operative word... ;)

Also, you need to actually scrub if you've let it become very dirty, not just wipe once and expect everything to go off with a light touch of the cloth...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.