MacBook connect to Mac Pro via Firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by existe, Jun 10, 2009.

1. existe macrumors member

I have a 09 mac pro Quad and recently picked up a 13" MacBook Pro. Is there a way to connect my MBP to the MP via firewire so the HD's I have in the MP are seen on the MBP?

I want to use the disk space on my MP as backup storage for my MBP but via firewire. Possible?

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes - hold down the "T" during startup. You'll see the Firewire logo floating on screen. You can then plug it in and use it as you would any hard drive.

edit: Although that probably is the fastest connection, you can always just enable file sharing. You can use either ethernet or Firewire for the network connection. Also, Target Disk Mode only works on the MBP, not the desktop (AFAIK).

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Target Disk Mode works on my iMac, so I don't see why your MP wouldn't be able to do it.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Target Disk Mode works on any FW-equipped Mac.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't have a Mac Pro, so I could only go by this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

According to the list, some iMacs will work; Power Mac will - however, Mac Pro is missing. If wrong, though, I stand corrected.

6. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I don't have a recent MP but have never had any issues targeting my 06 Mac Pro from my MBP or even my old G4 Sawtooth.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Putting the Mac Pro in target disk mode, right?

I stand corrected. The KB article was dated 2008, so I took it as pretty up to date. Well, good to know. That was my original assumption, but I don't like to assume...

IF there's going to be a lot of sharing, i.e. not just doing the odd backup or two, then I still think network sharing would be easier and provide more options.

8. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Yes, putting the Mac Pro in target disk mode. Actually, I've not had any problems either direction.

You're absolutely correct about networking, though. It's certainly not something for everyday usage.

9. calliope8muse macrumors newbie

calliope8muse

Mac Pro connect to MacBook Pro 17" screen as well?

Quite useful info about the firewire, haven't tried it yet something tells me this is only for the mapping and usage of hard disks and not screen sharing.

Say I have a mac pro and I lack a screen,:rolleyes: so I need to connect it to my macbook pro 17" latest model. How would you do this please?

Any ideas are greatly welcome:)

10. California macrumors 68040

California

I do this every day, all the time with whatever laptop I have at the moment.

I target disc the laptop computer into my desktop. Then i chose the hard drive from my laptop as my "start up disc" and the desktop starts up using my laptop's OS and information . This way I get the better graphics on the desktop with my 30" Display and I can use time machine on the whole thing.

As for target disc on a Mac Pro into a laptop, it works just the same. Though with the superior graphics on the Pro, you will be wanting a big screen soon enough.