Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A7X21112

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
San Diego
OK so i was going to get a macbook for christmas. Do you think i should wait for the core i7? Are the Core i7's Coming to the macbook? hmmm please help much appreciated

p.s Is buyinng a macbook now smart?

lol srry for a billion ?'s:rolleyes:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Not until Q3 2009 at the EARLIEST. They were JUST updated.

Latest info suggests Core i7 products priced to fit the Macbook range will not be available in bulk until late Q4 09. So expect a platform update Macworld 2010. Which is why I went ahead and purchased a machine now with no regrets.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
OK so i was going to get a macbook for christmas. Do you think i should wait for the core i7? Are the Core i7's Coming to the macbook? hmmm please help much appreciated

lol srry for a billion ?'s:rolleyes:

Core i7, earliest this gets adopted is as early as nVidia can put out a compatible motherboard (logic board) that can support i7. This is assuming Apple still uses nVidia. However, I can see Apple waiting until Q4 '09 at a special event like this October or even MWSF 2010. I don't think Q3 '09 will see new i7 MacBooks

my $0.02

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008

Buying a Macbook now isn't smart. Smart would have been buying it during thanksgiving week when it was on sale :)

However buying a Macbook now is smarter than waiting for an i7 version which probably is at least a year away, at the earliest.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Latest info suggests Core i7 products priced to fit the Macbook range will not be available in bulk until late Q4 09. So expect a platform update Macworld 2010. Which is why I went ahead and purchased a machine now with no regrets.
Quad-core Nehalems (not Core i7) are scheduled for Q3/Q4 2009 depending on the source.
Dual-core Nehalems (not Core i7) are scheduled for January 2010.

I don't think Nehalem MacBooks will be quad-core.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Core i7, earliest this gets adopted is as early as nVidia can put out a compatible motherboard (logic board) that can support i7. This is assuming Apple still uses nVidia. However, I can see Apple waiting until Q4 '09 at a special event like this October or even MWSF 2010. I don't think Q3 '09 will see new i7 MacBooks

my $0.02

Quoting myself, I highly doubt Apple will release anything for MWSF'10 anymore. So I now guess its going to be a special event like the one in October and probably around the same time of last year, for kicks.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
i7 is just the Desktop name for the new *entercodenamehere* Arcitecture...

So Desktop i7 /Mobile probably i7 Mobile, and I doubt it will be quadcore...

just what I think (please prove me wrong on the quadcore part) ;)

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
To clarify, Core i7 is not the name of the CPU microarchitecture, or the lineup. That is the Nehalem family. "Core i7" is the name of the high-end desktop CPU codenamed "Bloomfield" that was released in Q4 2008.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.