MacBook Crack :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Affe, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Affe macrumors member

There is a small crack right between the trackpad and enclave of the case. It's is pretty small, but noticeable. Will this be covered under the 1 year warranty? I don't have an Apple Store near me, but I can make a trip to one, but would it be better for me to send it in? I'm just worried they won't have the parts in for the repair. If I do send it in, how long is the return time?

PIC: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/pmr/DSC02822.jpg

2. Stokes macrumors regular

3. countrykid333 macrumors member

i would not count on them having the part in stock, my local store had to order it (2-3 days) which was not a big deal for me, but if you live far away from a store two trips may be unacceptable, if you send it in you might be separated for quiet some time:eek:

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

5. Affe thread starter macrumors member

Just appeared one day. Possibly from wear and tear from opening and closing the magnetic lid?

6. Biblezombie macrumors newbie

Biblezombie

1 day turn around

That part is called a top case. Call and ask if they have one in stock. The store I work at in MS usually has one in stock and if I get more than one customer come in, it only takes one Business day to get from Apple. I have never had to wait more than 2 days for it. It is a non-return part so you should not even have to leave the computer over night just promise to return the next day.

7. ervdoggie macrumors newbie

ervdoggie

Is the topcase being replaced even outside warranty?

Was your system still under warranty? I have a black MacBook that I'm noticing this crack on the right hand side of the wrist rest as well....If its just simply a trip to my local Apple Store I'm all game. Just can't see 1,000.00 for a problem that quite a few of us are having and my MacBook lives the life of a pampered Queen.

8. wedge234 macrumors member

it sounds like the typical defect. It does happen from opening and closing the computer, and it's something that apple has been replacing, even outside of warranty. I'd imagine if you call the apple store and take pictures and such, you might be able to give as good as a descriptor as possible for the people at the store so they can order you the part and save you a trip.

9. ervdoggie macrumors newbie

ervdoggie

CrackBook

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll make sure my book is all nice and squeaky clean so they see it looks as fresh as the day it came out of its box. I'll repost if I'm successful in getting it handled.

10. Pip25 macrumors newbie

Same crack

My macbook did the same thing. Is your battery warped at all? I noticed my battery was really hot, and then the next day there was a crack in the same place that yours has a crack. Mine also cracked all down the hard case because of the heat from the battery. At the time my battery was not a part of any recall. I haven't checked recently. The battery is warped right underneath the cracked spots. i am not buying any more products from Apple because I haven't been able to get any assistance with this problem. No one seems to know anything.

11. wedge234 macrumors member

They aren't helping at all? It's my understanding there's been a battery recall. That said, I can't imagine that apple wouldn't help out with this...how old is your computer? do you have applecare?

12. jbracco macrumors member

My old macbook did that a few times but where the wrists go.. the schaumburg apple store had them in stock every time..

so i just went in the mall and did some shopping then picked my my macbook

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ouch! Shouldn't be a problem to get fixed on the spot or 1-2 days. But since you are a distance away from the nearest Apple Store, contact Apple and have them send you a shipping package/box. :(

14. asme macrumors regular

I'm not sure if it works under the 1-year warranty, but there's a chance that you can set up a mail-in repair if you call 1-800-APL-CARE.

15. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Sometimes when i lift my MacBook up by the corner of the bottom case the plastic flexes so much i allmost expect it to break.......*shudder*

Hope you get your machine fixed soon, and for free !!!

16. Affe thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple Store today and they said it was purely cosmetic and they won't be able to replace it. I asked about reports of others getting their's fixed, and he said that it was in different places, and where it is for me doesn't affect anything since the battery is below it. I asked why would you replace some of the arm rest cracks if they only affect the battery too, but I just got some mumbled response. I just left.

It's not that big of a deal since I thought cosmetic damage might not be covered, but the "genius" wasn't very helpful and I feel it was more of a manufacturing defect than damage.

Any ideas on what to do now?

17. Mackan macrumors 65816

Go back and say that you don't expect cracks to appear on any place of your MacBook, if you treat it respectfully (that is up to you if you know you have been careful with it). Personally, the only notebook that I have seen extensive case cracking problems on is the MacBook.

18. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

Call AppleCare and see what they can do. Cosmetic or not, you or anyone shouldn't be experiencing some form of case cracking on their macbooks if they treat it respectfully (I'm assuming you do). I know I would be pissed if my macbook had a crack and the so-called "genius" told me there was nothing I could do about it because it's "cosmetic".

19. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Ya know, one would think by now that Apple would have circulated an internal memo to ALL it's stores that they should not give people any gruff over this and to just replace the cracked cases! This is really disgusting. Unless the unit has obviously been dropped, this should be a no brainer and an obvious design/plastic flaw.

You would think Steve would be embarrassed by now?--)) :rolleyes:

20. rednotblonde macrumors newbie

macbook crack

this is a HUGE problem with macbooks! i am on my FOURTH!! yes FOURTH!! casing!! At the university i am at, Macbooks are cracking like nothing on earth, apple will cover it under warranty but the problem still seems to exist even though i am assured that they now use a new hardened plastic! The fault is caused by the two ridges either side of the camera lense, app the ibooks had rubber stoppers but they fell of or were picked of by users!!
    GOOD LUCK!!

21. JunBug119 macrumors 6502

I agree with you. I've been reading the other threads about macbook cases cracking and apple stores replacing it with no issues or hassles. I think the OP just had an unfortunate event of dealing with a "genius" who was having a bad day.

22. Mackan macrumors 65816

That's why I have stayed away from MacBooks. They are nice and all, but prone to cracking. It is a design flaw which hasn't been fixed 2 years later, and that is unacceptable.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

he is way too arrogant and god complexed to get embarrassed.

24. Inspace macrumors newbie

If it's any consolation, my Black Macbook bottom case just cracked for the THIRD time today--May 19th. The last two times they replaced it, although it did take a couple of weeks. This is getting very tiresome.

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Yes, this is a widespread problem. Has happened in both of my MacBooks, three times on my current one.