Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
God i'm dissapointed in Apple's workmanship for my MacBook!

I woke up and i saw this crack on the edge of my Dec 2006 MacBook!

picture9hn8.jpg

picture7zy2.jpg

picture5ki0.jpg

I know it's COSMETIC damage and i could glue it back or something, but i'm just shocked at how this could happen?? I've had my iBook for a long long time but nothing even close like this happened! I understand scratches, but a big crack without me doing anything to it???

Anyone else had this happen to them?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
It's a pretty big design flaw, IMHO. You can say it's just cosmetic, but that leaves the innards exposed to more dust than necessary.
I might be wrong, but if memory serves me right, the iBooks didnt have that lip at the end...the plastic from the palm rest went all the way to the end. And in powerbooks and MBP i'm pretty sure the edging is actually a plastic wring going around the palm rest.

I grr at that...grrr.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
my friend has the white MacBook (2.0ghz) it cracked in the same exact spot, only on one side. He did it by closing the lid too hard.

That might exacerbate the problem, but the design is flawed. There's a really thin piece of plastic thats supporting the weight of peoples wrists and hands...bad design :mad:

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I know!

I've read other threads which have this problem too and they brought it in the Apple Store to be fixed. Problem is, my closest Apple Store is in London!!! And i'm 4 hours and many many £s away! :mad:

And i've JUST ran out of warranty a month ago!! :(

Help?

P.S - I don't close my MacBook very much. It's always on my desk open.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I have similar cracks on my white MacBook. I took it by the Apple Store and they told me it was covered under Applecare. Unfortuntley, I don't have enough time to turn it in for 3 days for the repair to be done.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Flat mate has exactly the same problem at the moment.

Cause: Had it in his bag with too much pressure on the lid, cracked exactly as yours has done

Temporary Solution: Cellotape!!

He is going to take it back to the Apple Store and get them to repair it. Its a shame that this is happening to them. Hope you get it sorted!! :apple:

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Yup...if I'd known the problem was this widespread, I'd have passed on the MB, and gone with a Thinkpad, as I'd originally planned. Mine hasn't cracked yet, but part of why I picked the MB was because I wanted a solid, reliable computer I could stick with for years and years, instead of going through several with the onset of boredom, as was the custom last year. At any rate, I'll keep using it until it cracks (they all do eventually), at which point I'll likely either sell the machine or attempt to have it fixed.

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I have similar cracks on my white MacBook. I took it by the Apple Store and they told me it was covered under Applecare. Unfortuntley, I don't have enough time to turn it in for 3 days for the repair to be done.

Some of the members were suggesting i give Apple a ring and then ask if i could post it in for them as the nearest Apple Store for me is 3hours away :(

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
God i'm dissapointed in Apple's workmanship for my MacBook!

I woke up and i saw this crack on the edge of my Dec 2006 MacBook!

picture9hn8.jpg

picture7zy2.jpg

picture5ki0.jpg

I know it's COSMETIC damage and i could glue it back or something, but i'm just shocked at how this could happen?? I've had my iBook for a long long time but nothing even close like this happened! I understand scratches, but a big crack without me doing anything to it???

Anyone else had this happen to them?

I can't believe that people are still surprised when this happens. There is honestly a 5 new threads a week about about it. Every macbook is going to crack sooner or later, they have a huge design flaw and mac has done absolutely nothing about correcting the problem. If you buy a macbook be forewarned it will crack at some point and the best you can hope for is for the crack to come later rather than sooner.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I can't believe that people are still surprised when this happens. There is honestly a 5 new threads a week about about it. Every macbook is going to crack sooner or later, they have a huge design flaw and mac has done absolutely nothing about correcting the problem. If you buy a macbook be forewarned it will crack at some point and the best you can hope for is for the crack to come later rather than sooner.
While such cracks may be inescapable because of the material used, Apple will repair virtually all of these kinds of cracks for free, regardless of the warranty status of the machine.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
While such cracks may be inescapable because of the material used, Apple will repair virtually all of these kinds of cracks for free, regardless of the warranty status of the machine.
But the fact that it's a design flaw means that because of poor design, you're inconvenienced.
So, yea, Apple should and will replace the Macbook free of charge, but it's still annoying. And in another year, it'll break again.
If they don't fix it in the next iteration, it'll be inexcusable.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Indeed; I've read multiple posts by different users whose MBs cracked, were "fixed", and cracked again only weeks/months later. Given the MBs have been out for 2 years, Apple has had plenty of time to redesign them in a way that would prevent them from cracking (the way every other manufacturer of cheap laptops has managed to do for the past several years). The fact that they haven't taken such steps is a telling look into their business model.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Today MacInsider reports new case designs for MB's and MBP's within
a few months...so the current MB design is on its last legs.

Sounds like Apple will repair whenever it happens so no sweat.
Just ordered a new MB. Hope the plastic is better on this last revision.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Indeed; I've read multiple posts by different users whose MBs cracked, were "fixed", and cracked again only weeks/months later. Given the MBs have been out for 2 years, Apple has had plenty of time to redesign them in a way that would prevent them from cracking (the way every other manufacturer of cheap laptops has managed to do for the past several years). The fact that they haven't taken such steps is a telling look into their business model.

From what I've read, they have a lean and over worked design team. They're due to expand, and it's probably in their sights. This last few years has been big with the intel switch, iphone, leopard - they're resources are diverted. I guess it'll take sometime for their product development teams to be more evenly spaced out.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
An additional 2¢, but my daughter has a 2 year old, well-used original 2.0GHz Core Duo white MacBook with nary a crack or split. And no significant case/palm rest coloration, either.

jay1097

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Montreal
It seems that this effects a large percentage of users. 2 of my friends with macbooks have also had the same problem. But it was because they slapped they laptop case. It seems to be caused by the magnets just putting to much force on the plastic.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I see what's happening. The "bumps" on the plastic just above the screen must be cracking the plastic on palm rest when the lid is closed. I wonder what can be done to prevent this?

20070815-2.jpg

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
If I were the OP, I would take it to an Apple Store and have it diagnosed. It's a pretty common problem on the MacBook's and most people are having theirs repaired for free, regardless of whether you have a warranty or not.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
I see what's happening. The "bumps" on the plastic just above the screen must be cracking the plastic on palm rest when the lid is closed. I wonder what can be done to prevent this?

20070815-2.jpg

Might be part of the problem...but my sisters is cracked up on the sides as well. I'll admit she might not take the best care of her laptop, but this sort of thing could have been prevented with better design. This seems like a basic and easily catchable materials failure - they just didn't put enough emphasis into the internal mechanics of the material while designing.

ckaven

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
macbook crack

how did everyone get it fixed for free out of warranty. i took mine into the apple store today and they quoted me 225.00 to fix that little crack. what should i do

NEiMac

macrumors regular
Yes, this crack happened with mine too. I put a piece of clear tape on it, its way out of warranty anyways. I really love the computer though, one of my favorite computers I've owned. Apple really should fix the problem and maybe do a recall or something. I think ill replace this one when they come out with the new redesigns, I sure hope they put more effort into the new design then they have with there computers lately. Im getting tired of thinner smaller computers with crappy graphics cards, sucky screens and cracking cases. I have a 20 inch iMac, its a ok computer but somehow I cant get rid of the feeling I could of put $1600 to better use. First mac I have ever felt that way about.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
There have been numerous threads, and they've covered the "out of warranty" issue as well. Apple has been replacing these cracked MB, just give them a call and they should be able to replace the casing while you wait at the Apple Store. And if you are too far from the Apple Store, ask them to send a pre-paid mailer to have it repaired and returned as soon as possible. :(

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You can buy a replacement top on eBay for cheap. Way cheaper than going through Apple. That's if Apple won't fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.