MacBook cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dylanbrown, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Has anyone else noticed this? A while back I found some light surface cracks on the bottom of my White MacBook, around the latch/fan area and the battery compartment area, I did speak to a Genius at my local store, but he said there would be a charge to fix it as it is not covered under warranty:mad:

But just recently a huge deep crack has formed, and its on the keyboard face. Here are the photos I took with my iPhone. Has anyone else heard/noticed these cracks, and if you've taken any pictures of them, could you upload them to my gallery, just to compare, see if mines worse/better. (Sorry to be a hassle!)

I am going to go to the Apple store in a month or so when I have some free time, as I'm quite busy at the moment, and hopefully it'll be included under warranty.

Thanks guys

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's becoming quite a common problem, it seems. link

Yes, they should most certainly be covered under warranty.

3. kabunaru Guest

I have realised I have an crack similar to yours on my MacBook as well but my MacBook is an Core Duo and is over two years old. I did not buy AppleCare but I can live with this crack.

4. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, i didn't purchase extra AppleCare but its still under 1 year old.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Whoever told you that they cannot fix it under warranty is smoking something: something strong. It's a known design flaw. I had mine repaired (in the first year) four times. Seeing how much it would have cost me if it were outside of warranty (they were nice enough to give me a receipt: $279 - warranty = 0), I went ahead and bought AppleCare.

6. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Should it be covered by AppleCare?

AppleCare wouldn't cover the cracks that were on the bottom of the MacBook (Some were near the fan/latch and the battery compartment) they said it was because "That's the face the MacBook sits on, so its going to be sitting on many different surfaces, causing scratches etc. - so unfortunately cracks on the back face of a MacBook are not covered"

But the guy didn't mention anything about the cracks on the tom face (At that time hat crack had not formed!)

The cracks that you had - akonradi, were they on the back face of the MacBook, if they were, I'll get on the phone to em!

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

8. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I had the same cracking problem with my MacBook. Apple replaced the entire keyboard/top case no questions asked. It's definitely covered under warranty.

9. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - is the bottom covered under warranty?

Alright, thanks guys for your posts. So the top is covered under warranty - any ideas about underneath?

10. tirethminet macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me, guess i should find out where the nearest applestore is. :/

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only the top case.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

So I actually searched for an existing thread instead of starting a new one! I deserve a cookie.....

Just noticed a crack on my MacBook today in the same place as yours (to the right of the trackpad above the sleep light).

Looks like I'm due for an unscheduled trip to the Apple Store in the next couple of days.

This will be the second time since I got my MacBook last November that I've had the top cover replaced. Last time it was within the first week of ownership due to a keyboard issue.

I hope they don't keep my MacBook for too long when I bring it in. Last time it was only for 2.5 hours even though they said it would be for around 48 hours.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Damn, all these talks about the macbooks with cracks starting to make me paranoid when I handle my 4 week old white macbook.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

It's nothing to do with how you handle your MacBook. I've babied mine ever since I bought it. It just.... happened. Yesterday the crack wasn't there, and today, there it is.

15. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I had one of these appear on the top left side of my Oct 2006 MacBook a few months ago. It doesn't bother me too much though so I've just put a bit of white electrical tape over it to stop it getting worse and all is good.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Don't be. My wife has a 2 year old Macbook and has no cracks. She takes it almost everywhere. I have a 3 month old one and no cracks. It is under warranty anyways. Like everyone else, I suggest Applecare for laptops.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

True that! Unfortunately with Apples Intel laptops if you want to keep them for more than a year, AppleCare is a necessity. I've had trouble with all but amazingly enough, not the Air -yet. Now I've still got a bunch of G3 PB's and G4 Ibooks and PB's that are doing great albeit a bit slow and RAM deprived but the build quality can't be compared to the Intel Books.

18. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I had the same experience with my white macbook - Apple fixed it in 2 hours. However, the salesperson who brought me my computer after being repaired assured me that, because it is an acknowledged design flaw, Apple would replace the topcase and keyboard even if the computer was NOT under warranty. This was a surprise to me, but that's what he said. So even if you have a computer that is not under warranty, it's worth a shot to take it in!

19. polar-blair macrumors regular

My mums macbook has got two cracks! one either side of the track pad on the edge facing you. When I had it, it was always kept in pristine condition, but my mum doesn't share the same desire to look after expensive electronic items, so i put it down to lack of care, and it was only cosmetic and not mine anymore so I dint think much of it, but thinking about it the cracks are directly under where the magnetic latches are.... is it linked at all?

20. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Happened to mine (its 8 months old). Took it into the apple store and they replaced the entire plastic/keyboard/mouse there and then. Took about 15 mins total.

Didn't cost a penny. If your not near a store, phone apple care.

21. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Wow...I haven't noticed any on mine.
    I suppose I'm due for a close up. :D

I've had mine since april....and it hasn't seen much of anything other than a desktop...coffee table...or lap.

I don't know what they mean by 'many different surfaces' but I believe the burden of proof should be on them to find out if by some mad chance that you used it on a jagged gravel parking lot. If the case is pristine aside from a few cracks...they should replace it. Asinine excuses (on their part) aside.

22. maire macrumors newbie

design fault cracks and dropped it cracks

Hi

I have the design-fault cracks which appeared a couple of weeks ago. Have applecare, and an appointment to bring it in to the Genius Bar on Sunday. However, months ago, I also dropped my macbook while travelling, and have a teeny dent at the top of the bottom case. I'm worried that the Genius guys will say that I have been mistreating my case and not repair it under the warranty. The thing is, apart from that one accident, I treat it like a baby, clean and polish it up every week etc - and it rarely leaves my desk.

Any suggestions?

23. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Mine had the crack on the top case. I took it in as soon as it started. The genius, told me that they usually don't replace the top case on them until the crack is larger. I asked him exactly what made him believe that the crack on mine was going to shrink, or go away even? He relented and replaced it.

And as others have said, get Apple Care. I have it on all of my eligible products.

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

This may sound like a stupid question, but I haven't heard of any Penryn MacBooks cracked, are they more resistant?

25. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ha, i would have went around the corner, and made it larger. then walk back over to him and ask, "Is it large enough now?"