Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdiskaya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
New MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt port it just only usb-c

How can I use target disk mode? is it possible migrate from macbook pro to macbook? How? I tried that and didn't work?

Someone help please!!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Via ur backup disk. At least I hope u have one as long as you are interested not loosing data

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
New MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt port it just only usb-c

How can I use target disk mode? is it possible migrate from macbook pro to macbook? How? I tried that and didn't work?

Someone help please!!

Make a full Time Machine backup of your MacBook Pro and then migrate that using the migration assistant to your new MacBook. It would be best if you do not create an account on the MacBook and let the migration do it for you. Doing it that way you do not have to use Target Disk Mode.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Make a full Time Machine backup of your MacBook Pro and then migrate that using the migration assistant to your new MacBook. It would be best if you do not create an account on the MacBook and let the migration do it for you. Doing it that way you do not have to use Target Disk Mode.

Agreed, but you won't actually be able to launch Migration Assistant on the new Mac until you have created a user account on it. MA has an option to overwrite an account it finds already exists, but it (IME) doesn't always work.

Best is to use Setup Assistant on the new Mac, which is very like MA, but only appears at the setup stage after after an install. This avoids creating a user account you dont want.

When you start your new MacBook for the first time, do it with the TM (or clone) of your MBP attached. You will be asked if you want to migrate from a another disk TM disk etc.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
  • With a USB 3.0 or 3.1 USB Type A to USB-C cable

• With a USB-C to USB-C cable (with 3.0 or 3.1 support)
Apple notes helpfully, “These cables are not currently available from Apple.” Alas, the USB-C cable that comes with the MacBook only supports USB 2.0 data rates for syncing, and USB 3 is apparently required.

The two cable types Apple mentions are both so-called SuperSpeed or SuperSpeed+ cables. USB 3.0 offer a top 5Gbps throughput rate, and is marketed as SuperSpeed with an SS on the cable head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.