Macbook DVD Drive Not Accepting DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jenniferkailey, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jenniferkailey macrumors newbie

I know this is a common question, but my computer will either:

A-Take DVDs, try them a few times, and spit it back out, or
    B-Take it in, keep it, then only eject when I press eject.

Now I'm on a budget, so I know I probably have a buy a new one, where's good prices? I've gotten other things on NewEgg.com, but with this I don't know what kind I would have to buy.

External DVD drives seem to be cheaper, is that an okay idea? I'm trying to burn DVDs right now to my computer to make acting demos. Nothing illegal.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple or go to an Apple Store. Your problem seems more hardware related failure, if thats the case Apple can help more than us. That I understand from A. That or the DVD is scratched and MacBook has troubles reading/writing to it.

But as for B, it seems normal behavior. A MacBook won't eject a DVD unless you make it eject it.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

If your computer is covered under your 1 year AppleCare or your purchased the extended AppleCare you should be covered for this type of issue.

www.apple.com/retail to find your nearest store and make a genius bar appointment. Or call Apple if there's no store close.

If you know you're not covered anymore, then simply buy an external USB burner, you'll do fine with that.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It could be your blank DVD's. Try a different brand.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Make a Genius Bar appointment, they can test all types of CDRs and DVDRs that they have. They can repair it free if you're under warranty.

6. jenniferkailey thread starter macrumors newbie

I did take it in once, and it was working fine, that ONE time of course... I've tried multiple DVDs at my house, and 90 percent of the time I have this problem.

When the DVD stays in and I have to eject it, it isn't reading it anyway, nothing shows up, it's just sitting in there and running.

I know this is the problem after all the research Ive done, the genius agreed.

I need help finding an affordable replacement.

7. cronnos macrumors newbie

Well, if you are not under warranty, I would recommend you do not take it to the Apple store. I just recently had my Combo Drive replaced and the total was $330. Since I was under warranty I didn't have to pay anything, but they gave me a receipt. The drive alone was $250. You could find some online, or on eBay, but you will have to install them and it's not very easy.