Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
weg said:
Fair enough for me. A dark room is the only place I can use my current 12" powerbook. A little sun is enough to make the display completely unreadable. That said, we nerds don't need no stinking sun, anyway.

I do like the look of the glossy screens but never used one so I need to get down to the Apple Store later.

I'd second your comment about the 12" PB though. Mine was hard to see in office lighting too. Even on full brightness, the white fluorescent lights would wipe the display out. My iBook was the same.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
MrCrowbar said:
Didn't hear any Macbook owners complain about fan noise. I need a silent computer so it can do some light stuff at night qithout me waking up. Hard Drive noise is ok, I'm so used to it I can't really sleep without it when I'm sleeping alone. Yea, I know... I'm a geek. :p

It's completely silent, the only thing that makes a noise on mine is the optical drive!

To all those people moaning about the glossy screen - we had glorious sunshine here yesterday, and for the first time I had a laptop outside and could actually use it in heavy sunlight. Turning the brightness up made the screen completely visable, with no reflections because I was head on.

I've yet to experience any of the problems these glossy screens are supposed to produce.

-Leemo

monkeyandy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
Stuck record!

integrated gfx...glossy screen...integrated gfx...glossy screen...intega...blah...blah...blah...and on and on and on.....zzzzzzzzzz

come on guys change the record!

Does anyone have a clue if Bootcamp runs on these things? If so whats it like speed wise? Think you might be able to run GTA San Andreas on it?

If not it's no big deal as long as XP :)( for work b4 u complain!) and OSX run fine on it...

Get over the few minor issues or start a new thread on the bloody glossy screen or integrated gfx if its that big a deal...i'd like to hear some thoughts on other features of the machine!:mad:

MarkAlanEis

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2006
Kinda pisses me off the "MacBook Pro" doesn't have the option of a black model, I don't understand why the cheaper "MacBook" would have a black or white option while the more expensive Pro Model your forced to get the standard Metal color. The "MacBook Pro" should have every feature and option of the "MacBook" and a whole lot more. Even the keyboard on the "Macbook" looks alot cooler and better than the one they have on the Pro model. Your now basically paying an extra $1000 to get a better graphics card with the "MacBook Pro".

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
OK. I have an MBP that admittedly seems a little less potent now in terms of value for money, but the point is that the deed is done. What amazes me about Apple and, I am assuming, especially Mr. Ive, is that I want the MacBook even though it does not have the size screen I want, the GPU I need or the audio input/outputs that come in so handy.

I couldn't consider having such a machine as my only computer, but what I love about these things is that they offer such punch and allow me to get a 20" iMac and superdrive equipped notebook for GBP 1,800 (I am in Jersey, no tax). An MBP that tries to perform both roles, i.e. the 17", costs GBP 1,600.00.

What I am saying is that next time around, if Apple are still offering such incredible value for money, I am going for an iMac and MacBook.

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
I am planning on buying a MacBook soon...most likely the White 2.0Ghz version - i would have been happy with the 1.83 but i need a superdrive not combo.

I am mainly going to use it for Video Capturing using iMovie, iDVD and a minor use of FCP. I will be editing DV but not HD DV. I do not want to buy a MacBook Pro as i already have a 15.4" (LG) notebook and want something more portable so i can also take it to Uni.

Just wondering whether i should capture to the laptop Hard Disk (5400rpm) or an external HDD connected via USB2 (7200rpm) - i have heard that this can cause issues in terms of video capturing.

Also with the RAM running in dual mode (2x 256MB) If i put in a 1GB stick to make it 1280MB of ram will it still run in dual mode - i have also heard that intel memory runs in dual regardless if they are equal or not.

I am not sure who/what to believe.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
FrenchFry said:
[...]
6. The keyboard. great design as far as not being able to get crud under the keys. I thought it was going to be a pain but the spacing feels exactly like a desktop keyboard... and the travel distance and firmness of the buttons are much better.
[...]

Please clarify. Pictures on the thinksecret web site seemed to show visible circuit board circuitry through the gaps around the keys.
http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/macbookphotos/source/macbook-7.html

I feel happier if the keyboard is known to be splash resistant. (not that I'm into spills, but it has been done a lot by users) Surely more laptop computers have died at the hands of a spilt drink than a power cable accident.

The old Sinclair ZX80 chiclet keys had a rubber membrane - great for waterpoofing and quietness (which Jerry Pournelle of Byte magazine used to love) but no good for longevity as the membrane cracks.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
MarkAlanEis said:
Kinda pisses me off the "MacBook Pro" doesn't have the option of a black model, I don't understand why the cheaper "MacBook" would have a black or white option while the more expensive Pro Model your forced to get the standard Metal color. The "MacBook Pro" should have every feature and option of the "MacBook" and a whole lot more. Even the keyboard on the "Macbook" looks alot cooler and better than the one they have on the Pro model. Your now basically paying an extra $1000 to get a better graphics card with the "MacBook Pro".

I still think the current MBP is an interim machine. The real Powerbook replacement is due with Core2 in a few months time imo.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
emotion said:
I still think the current MBP is an interim machine. The real Powerbook replacement is due with Core2 in a few months time imo.

I absolutely agree.

I think the MB's showed Apple is taking some interesting advances--latch, keyboard, user upgradability enhancements, etc.--and it is odd that these are not found on the pro mobile line.

I think we will see a nice upgrade later in the year. But my main hope is Apple works our the noise, heat, and terrible screen backlight problems in that revision.

I'm going to buy my wife a MB sometime this week, but I am going to wait for a new MBP for myself until these issues are worked out. I bought a last gen 17" PB, and I feel pretty burned by the quality issues and the fact Apple thought this crappy screen is "within spec."

But the MB's look incredible...

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
How do I remove the RAM?

Problem solved. Pushed bar all the way to left a number of times and RAM finally popped out very slightly, but enough to remove.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
oh nice!! :D

funnily enough... I want one of these more than the MBP. :eek:

a nice looking machine.

and it's nice to see that our friends accross the way at Kodawarisan have already been getting to work disassembling. :D

shrhaider

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Seoul
blouis79 said:
Please clarify. Pictures on the thinksecret web site seemed to show visible circuit board circuitry through the gaps around the keys.
http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/macbookphotos/source/macbook-7.html

I second this request. I hadn't noticed this until I looked at that picture again, but blouis79 is right. It looks like there is something exposed beneath the keys. Can anyone who already purchased a Macbook confirm or rebut this?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'd be extremely surprised if that is a circuit board you see under there. There's bound to be a membrane to catch bits of skin, cake, crisps etc

Remember Apple have to deal with warranty claims on these things they want them to last a little while at least!

matthewroth

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
wow!

this is getting real ugly, real fast.

you need to stop and think, have apple ever steered you wrong (exception of the cube) are they stupid enough to use gloss screens without a lot of testing, the same can be said about the keyboard. first of all you should not eat or drink near your laptop (it is like the holy grail) and second apple will have tested this as if it messes up it causes cost implications and professional embarrassment (the scars of the nano?)

we need to look at it like this, is this a laptop that is still powerful enough to run boot camp, if so will it run anything good on its integrated graphics with the strain of XP. if so then i am there, my old ibook is being sold to a friend and I am getting the 2GHz model (White of course) with the ram and hard drive being user accessible this makes the macbook a force to be reckoned with. as for the onboard graphics, if it can run aperture like a dream no one will want for more for a LONG time

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
matthewroth said:
this is getting real ugly, real fast.

you need to stop and think, have apple ever steered you wrong (exception of the cube) are they stupid enough to use gloss screens without a lot of testing, the same can be said about the keyboard. first of all you should not eat or drink near your laptop (it is like the holy grail) and second apple will have tested this as if it messes up it causes cost implications and professional embarrassment (the scars of the nano?)
[...]

I tend to agree on the glossy screen issue.

But.... all manufacturers of products never get it perfect the first time. There is a good correlation between quality of designs and numbers of design iterations. And at the end of the day, shareholders are more important than customers for a corporation.

(And "new Coke" proved that marketing research can get it wrong really big time.)

White iBooks are known for the keyboard leaving marks on the screen when closed. My keycap writing started coming off after 3 months (and I'll bother to get it fixed when I can afford to lose my primary machine for a week or more).

CRT iMacs are famous for flyback transformer failures. My old iMac DVSE also had a broken heatsink retaining clip on a video chip - effectively no heatsink at all - probably a manufacturing flaw that was only evident on disassembly.

Almost nobody bothers to make computers enviromentally protected. Digital cameras too. We are just seeing the beginning of drop-proofness. A small minority of electronic gear is water resistant - which is important for a camera.

Why - because if the machine dies and the manual says not to let it get wet, then they get to sell you a new machine or at least parts and repairs! Just like GM used to build cars to fall apart after a few years.

Bad publicity is good for product innovation, because it shifts the power base from shareholder to customer.

mmr34747

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Help on purchase

I am a student, and with the discount I can either purchase the new macbook (Black) for $1,400 or the base macbook pro for $1,800. Can anyone please help with my decision. Do I get a lot more features that justify the extra $400 by going with the MBP.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
This is hard to answer. What is important to you? I personally wouldn't spend the premium for the black so the question is between the white 1.83 and the base MBP. That's a huge price difference and not worth it in my mind. The biggest question to consider is whether or not you'll need the better video capability of the MBP.

mmr34747 said:
I am a student, and with the discount I can either purchase the new macbook (Black) for $1,400 or the base macbook pro for $1,800. Can anyone please help with my decision. Do I get a lot more features that justify the extra $400 by going with the MBP.

MB Buyer?

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
MB portrait mode?

Hi all, can someone with a MB tell me if you can rotate an external screen into portrait mode?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
jacobj said:
OK. I have an MBP that admittedly seems a little less potent now in terms of value for money, but the point is that the deed is done. What amazes me about Apple and, I am assuming, especially Mr. Ive, is that I want the MacBook even though it does not have the size screen I want, the GPU I need or the audio input/outputs that come in so handy.

I wonder if some of the design that has gone into the Macbook will make it into the next revision of the MBP? Perhaps the current MBP was rushed out to be in time for the Intel chips that were being released at the same time?

I love the design of my PBG4 and the current MBP but I'm hoping that by waiting for Merom, I will be getting an even more refined and innovative pro laptop.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
emotion said:

Oops, I missed your post. We're thinking along the same lines!

galton1.3

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
MattyP said:
Witha glowing rainbow apple... That would be so sweet!

Wow. I would totally buy one. That special yellow color that the case would turn after a few years... makes me tear up just thinking about it. My Mac SE only boots up on 1 out of 10 tries these days.

We need a MacBook Classic.

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
blouis79 said:
Bad publicity is good for product innovation, because it shifts the power base from shareholder to customer.

And somehow constant complaining, anxiety and buyers remorse is healthy?

I think Mac users tend to complain more because they lack certain emotional skills that allow them to cope with reality.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Evan_11 said:
And somehow constant complaining, anxiety and buyers remorse is healthy?

I think Mac users tend to complain more because they lack certain emotional skills that allow them to cope with reality.

Heheh. Probably true.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
mmr34747 said:

Save even more by getting the white 2.0GHz one and tricking it out. You'll need RAM, and a bigger disk is nice. For the $1800, you could get the dual 2.0GHz with 1G RAM, a 100G hard drive and (most importantly) AppleCare. I really, really recommend the last item on *all* laptops....

ccarrieta

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Stop Macbook Racism!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like it white then buy it white if you like it black then go black, if you like it black but dont want to pay the extra $$$$$ take it easy either go white, or save for black!!!!!

And for those that are complaining about the integrated video! ITS 1099 dollars, why dont people that go out and get a crappy dell laptop complain when the laptop explodes when they try and play doom 3!!!!!! If you wana game go for the pro...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.