Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
advocate said:
I think the point was that Mac users don't have to know what "glossy" means because Apple has never made them use such a terrible screen before. On the other hand, PC laptop users (myself included) are very familiar with the problems that a glossy screen presents..
Yeah I'm not sure why they would've done this. I've never come across someone who owned a glossy screen and still liked it after 6 months. They scratch easier, are too reflective and wash out easier in sunlight. The only time they have an advantage is in a REALLY dark room.

Aldus

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2005
Copenhagen
milo said:
That's completely wrong. A 32 bit processor can access up to 4 gigs of ram, a 64 can go far beyond that (terrabytes I believe). The number of processors (or cores) makes no difference at all. On most of these machines, the limit is the number of slots (the quad and dual G5's all access 16 gigs, a single G5 could access that and more if they built one with enough slots). And supposedly, the 4 gig limit can be overcome even with a 32 bit processor.

Thanks for your replies, but I'm afraid I don't understand their implications on my original question (regrettably, I don't understand the wiki article either :eek: )

So is it: Never more than 2 gigs in a current MacBook - Or can I expect the option of upgrading later to the 4 gigs of ram that you mention that a 32 bit processor can access?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
andrewface said:
seems like most people dont care about power...people just want light weight strange

Well I'm happy where Apple is going with power, I don't think that is such a big issue now, all their machines are now on par with other PC's. They should concentrate on other issues now.

In any case, since the laptop markets are fragmenting into smaller ones, I'd thought Apple (maybe others here as well) would of catered to the differing markets that have been emerging recently. In a more precise way though. The trouble is they always try to keep their offerings simple so as to avoid confusion and to keep choices clear.

CUSTOMER: "Hey Apple I need a desktop replacement in the form of a laptop with lots of power".
APPLE: "Sure no problem, try this 17inch MBP"

CUSTOMER: "Hey Apple I need a small rugged laptop to take with me on my travels, its needs to be capable and light."
APPLE: "Er, you could try a 13" MP."
CUSTOMER: Do you not have anything smaller, the screen is a bit big?"

It probably wouldn't go like that in the second scenario but you get my point.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
andrewface said:
seems like most people dont care about power...people just want light weight strange

No, that is not what CrackedButter was saying at all.

Power upgrades are absolutely essential; however, even though I am a "pro" user (graphic designer), I would still happily sacrifice a good deal of power for a more compact and lightweight design, and I think that many people feel the same way.

Too bad that Apple seems to be putting most of its energy into the iPod. As was already mentioned, those keep getting smaller and smaller, and yet the size and weight of the iBook/MacBook relative to screen size has not changed in 5 years.

There is much to praise with the new MacBook, but the size and weight issue leaves me - and apparently others - sorely disappointed.

StartTday

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
I've always wanted a apple computer but couldnt since I use 3ds max all the time. But I've decided on picking up new MacBook. On the condition that it runs 3ds max using Boot Camp. Damn PC only apps... anyway...

With the integrated graphics card does anyone if I can run Boot Camp and use 3ds max at a reasonable rate to display 3d models and photoshop? I'm an artist for a video game compay and would like to be able to display the stuff every so often and leave my desktop PC for all the hard work.

awesomebase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Maryland
Great System, not so great Glossy

I don't know if it has been a big issue here yet, but I know there are a lot of people that will complain about the glossy screen. There are different theories on why it was adopted. I'll put my theory for battery life in. A glossy screen doesn't need as much brightness and contrast to show vivid images, thus extending battery life. I notice that I haven't seen battery life mentioned as a major bullet point on Apple's site yet...
The rest of the laptop is just absolutely fantastic! I love the black! I wish it were the same price as the white, but they are probably anticipating more black purchases at that price point. This is definitely going to be the best-selling mac for at least the next little while. Glossy screen can be difficult to work with in weird lighting, but, there are after-market solutions if that really bothers anybody. I know it will probably bother me, but not as much as some others. Overall, a supremely great product!!! :D:D:D

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
awesomebase said:
I'll put my theory for battery life in. A glossy screen doesn't need as much brightness and contrast to show vivid images, thus extending battery life. I notice that I haven't seen battery life mentioned as a major bullet point on Apple's site yet...

Believe me, the screen is pretty damn bright.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Aldus said:
Thanks for your replies, but I'm afraid I don't understand their implications on my original question (regrettably, I don't understand the wiki article either :eek: )

So is it: Never more than 2 gigs in a current MacBook - Or can I expect the option of upgrading later to the 4 gigs of ram that you mention that a 32 bit processor can access?

I've borrowed two 2 GB SO-DIMMS (hard to get and they cost way too much right now) from a friend just to look if my iMac (see sig) can hadle it. No problem at all: System Porfiler said "4 GB", the iStats widgets said "4 GB" and the Activity Monitor recognized it too (3500 MB free after booting :p ). Too bad I had to give the RAM back, but 2 GB is plenty enough for me right now.

As it's the same processor and the same type of RAM as in the MBP and the Macbooks, I think 4 GB should work fine in the Macbooks and MBP. But at the moment, 4 GB of RAM is about as expensive as the whole Macbook itself :rolleyes:

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
awesomebase said:
I notice that I haven't seen battery life mentioned as a major bullet point on Apple's site yet...

Which is still better than the specs of the MBP (when it came out), of which we had to guess (or read the reviews) the battery life.

Great job, though, I don't think a lot of consumer laptops for Windows can keep up with such a battery. Of course, you won't get six hours, but that's pretty obvious.

irobot2003

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2003
California
Yeah, I stopped in at the Apple store, and the new MacBooks look, well, cheap... in particular the chiclet keyboard combined with the matte black finish.

I'd imagine most here don't remember the IBM PCjr, but IBM got roasted for using a similar keyboard, and they quickly replaced it. Apparently their idea was that companies could provide keyboard overlays for their software... although most thought it was used simply because it's cheaper to manufacture.

The keyboard action actually feels pretty nice on the MacBook... probably could get used to it... but it just makes the thing look like a big calculator.

iEric said:
i thought i would like the black cause i was pushing for one for so long, but it's kinda ugly because it makes it so cheap.

the keyboard buttons look so ghetto. it's like the buttons on my remote control. and why do they have space between them?

the glossy screen should be an option. i hate glossy - i had that on the sony vaio 13" laptop too and it had a glossy screen and I HATED IT!

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
I called the West County Apple store this morning and got to play with the books before they put them out on display. I think they are HOT!

The glossy screen really isn't bad, for the viewer. yes, it is mirrorish from the side, but shouldn't matter. I DO LIKE the keyboard. Not as "springy" and loose as past iBooks. My only complaint is they would be better if concave in the middle.

The black book showed fingerprints VERY easily because it is a matte - and that is a shame. They seemed a little heavier, they genius said it was .3LB heavier. The battery is much larger and runs nearly the entire front of the computer.

The LCD latch was surprisingly more difficult to open then I imaged, but should keep it shut when moving around. The new feet won't come off either. However, I see opening the new book - you'll get fingerprints on the iSight because of where it is.

Overall - I really really like it - but I am now more satisfied with my 1.83ghz Pro.

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
Pleasantly Surprised

I have to say that I am very pleased with the dissasembly pictures of the macbook. It seems much easier to take apart than the 'pro and more upgradable... odd considering it is a lower end model. Even the CPU seems easier to get at, and I can easily see someone at OWC or Powerbook resQ having an upgrade option for the processor in a couple years time. From what I understand the 2gig ram cieling is not necessarily true either. It looks like the only fidgety widget is the graphics processor may not be up to handling Pro editing and hardcore gaming. All-in-all I think it is a great package for the money.

This makes me sad, as it may be time to retire my trusty and rock solid ti book... 'Nah, it'll just give him a new friend.

BTW- I don't like the black either...

Groovey

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
gloss said:
Believe me, the screen is pretty damn bright.
In every photo the screen seems to be very good! I can't wait to grow the numbers on my bank account and eventually switch my jolly good iB G4/800 to a spanking new MacBook. I'm sure there are sides to every possible screen they could've chosen. At least my iBooks screen is pretty much too dark when using in daylight outdoors, I'm sure MB will do better. Now all I need is patience... I wish you all MacBook owners delightful lightningfast MacMoments!

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
FrenchFry said:
I spent 30mins today trying to figure out what antivirus software to get for a mac... does that show how long I've been in the windows environ :)

Welcome back, and when will the next Mac be purchased? (They're like potato chips, you can't have just one!) :D

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Aldus said:

To be truthful, I don't know. The CPU is capable of addressing 4G of physical memory, but it all depends on the memory controller and how Apple (or ASUS, or whoever) implemented it.

For what it's worth, I don't see 2G as being a limiting factor, especially in a laptop. My G5 at work has 2G of RAM, and I push it pretty hard w/o exhausting it. Heck, we run Oracle development databases on systems with 768M....

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
Groovey said:
In every photo the screen seems to be very good! I can't wait to grow the numbers on my bank account and eventually switch my jolly good iB G4/800 to a spanking new MacBook. I'm sure there are sides to every possible screen they could've chosen. At least my iBooks screen is pretty much too dark when using in daylight outdoors, I'm sure MB will do better. Now all I need is patience... I wish you all MacBook owners delightful lightningfast MacMoments!
I may get the low end MacBook for my girlfriend. Her trusty old TiBook has just about reached the end of it's useful life for her as a webdesigner.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
wow. sounds like Apple nailed this one quite hard! (userability, everything else.) the only thing that kinda worries me is the glossy screen. it seems like we went to a not-glossy screen to get away from the glare that we got.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
MattyP said:
It looks like the only fidgety widget is the graphics processor may not be up to handling Pro editing and hardcore gaming.

It's fine for "pro editing". People have already run apps like final cut and aperture and they work fine.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
FrenchFry said:
Bought my first ever Apple (as long as the Apple II doesn't count when I was in 3rd grade) last night for the wife. After spending about an hour messing around with it setting up etc, I was very impressed. My first impression of externals of the MacBook were:
1. That it's SOLID. It's 5 lbs which unless your smaller than my 5ft 1in wife shouldn't be a problem.

2. I was amazed at how thin it was... I had previously owned an Alienware Sentia (supposedly the thinest laptop at the time '02).

3. I was exstatic about the magnetic power connector (my laptop died b/c the connector that you plug the power cord into came off the MB inside the case and shatter into a bunch of pieces)

4. The magnetic latch is pretty cool. Not anything really earth shattering but cool none the less.

5. The screen is awesome much better on the eyes out in the sun then a regular laptop screen. Yes this is the same one that so many people are complaining about not liking but haven't seen yet...

6. The keyboard. great design as far as not being able to get crud under the keys. I thought it was going to be a pain but the spacing feels exactly like a desktop keyboard... and the travel distance and firmness of the buttons are much better.

7. Integrated Graphics, again it's for the wife and she doesn't play 3d games so no worries. However I've played some 3d games on my laptop with the 855 chipset and it worked bearably. Bump up the RAM to 2GB if you're really concerned.

8. RAM, the 512 is fine for now for my wife.... I'm getting two sticks of 1GB simply b/c for the price to performance why not? You can get this type of Ram for about $80/stick. Well worth it especially if you want the graphics to have more memory available to use.

In Summary, it's a great machine. Well worth the price, not sure I'd pay the extra for the two upper models but that depends on need.

I spent 30mins today trying to figure out what antivirus software to get for a mac... does that show how long I've been in the windows environ :)

Just out of curiosity, which games did you play? Were they under XP? It would be sweet if i could play Battlefield 2 on this baby, but i doubt it...

Aldus

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2005
Copenhagen
MrCrowbar said:
I've borrowed two 2 GB SO-DIMMS (hard to get and they cost way too much right now) from a friend just to look if my iMac (see sig) can hadle it. No problem at all /snip/ As it's the same processor and the same type of RAM as in the MBP and the Macbooks, I think 4 GB should work fine in the Macbooks and MBP. But at the moment, 4 GB of RAM is about as expensive as the whole Macbook itself :rolleyes:

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I checked at Kingston what 2 GB modules cost now: $1800 a piece :D

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
A just got a 17" iMac (see sig) 3 weeks ago and I'm quite happy with it. I played around with it a bit on Windows XP (HL2, B&W2) but I've not used Windows for a week because I'm so used to OSX (gotta love it) now. :p

I'm really thinking of selling my iMac (got it for 900 Bucks unused on eBay) and getting the high end Macbook (color depends on what looks better to me, Ill put a 120 GB HDD in there anyway). I like that it's 2 GHz so it would actually be faster than my iMac here. I'd love to see a comparison between the Macbooks and the iMacs. I mean, the iMac has the guts of a laptop anyway except for the 3,5" HDD... Graphics are not too much of an issue since the graphic stuff I do is mostly photoshop and some Maya, both of which don't really use the GPU anyway. Could someone run 3D Mark 06 on Windows XP on a Macbook?

I don't mind having 2 Macs, but's it's quite a hazzle to have 2 computers because there's always the "secondary" computer you barely use. And I have an external display anyway, so I won't miss the iMac's screen too much. I like carrying all my stuff around without having to say "damn, it's on my computer at home".

PS: Besides, I don't like the feeling that my desktop would be slower than my laptop... Think I'll buy a Mycbook, put my 2 GB RAM in there and sell the iMac shortly after with the 128 MB RAM from the Macbook in addition.

PPS: What about fan activity of the Macbooks? I like how my iMac works at night and is virtually silent.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Aldus said:
Cool. Thanks for the info.

I checked at Kingston what 2 GB modules cost now: $1800 a piece :D

Whoa!!! :eek:
So a decent Macbook with 4 GB RAM would be around 5000$. Make it 6000 if you have the 2 GB as BTO option from Apple. At that price, I want "4 GB of RAM" laser engraved and gold plated on the black Macbook. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.