MacBook for $50 - Good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrsir2009, Oct 15, 2011.

1. mrsir2009, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hey,

My old school is selling their 3 year old MacBooks to anyone for $50 each. They've got 2GB of RAM, 256mb graphics 100GB hard disk and 2GHz processor. Is it a good deal for $50? Should I buy one for school, since I don't want to take my good MBP to school?

[EDIT: To you guys who want to buy some off me, be aware that I live in New Zealand, which may make it not worth the huge shipping costs for you fullas who live in the US. I'll still send em, but you have to pay the shipping cost, which, unless you live inside NZ, will be a lot. ;)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

horrible deal

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

????
    I would buy 2 for that price. I miss having a Intel Mac.

5. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I might get one for my girlfriend too :)

6. session101 macrumors regular

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I am extremely interested to know why you think getting a computer for far below market value is a bad deal, unless you are being sarcastic. Unless I'm quite mistaken, this is the aluminum unibody model.

This is an awesome deal, I would buy several just to stock up. That being said, what's the point of owning a MBP if you don't want to take it places? Isn't that the whole point of owning a laptop?

8. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Putting my money on sarcasm for that horrible deal post. :D

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

of course I was being sarcastic...

My initial response was making light of why the op would even ask if it was a good deal when it is so very obvious it is. Or was he thinking 20 bucks would be a good deal and not 50? I mean comeon lol

10. miamijim macrumors 6502

Dude at 50 bucks I would buy 6 of them......

I am deadly serious by the way.

I would wipe them and do a fresh install and give them out as xmas presents to my whole family.....

Although I find it hard to believe your school would actually sell them.

I thought educational establishments leased computer equipment en masse, I would expect they bought them on a deal with apple via a larger local area education authority, then the laptops would be returned to apple after say 3 years where they would be sold on refurbished, and your school would get a new batch....

That is how it works in europe with companies such as dell or HP.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Lots of schools do this. It can be a great bargain. I've seen stories in the tech news where schools did this an caused a riot - several hundred people showed up to buy 25 computers.

I'd buy several. They would make excellent travel machines.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

They should be leasing. That plan you mentioned makes far more sense.

My parents told me that the school district in their county is giving laptops to every student. :eek: No lease? No stipulations on usage conditions? Nothing? That's a sheer waste of money...

As for the OP, for $50 each, I'd buy as many as I could as well and give them away as Xmas gifts. Macs are cool.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Are you serious? You's be hard pressed to find an iPod nano on eBay for $50. The display alone is worth twice that amount! I'd buy EVERY ONE they have - and sell them on eBay for almost 10 times that amount for ~$400 each. Why would anyone even ask if "$50 is a good deal" - is this a joke?

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I read your sarcasm right away!!

I bet if the op asked,

"is getting a 2009 13" MacBook pro for free a good deal"

I bet he still could not find your sarcasm in "horrible deal"

15. GENTOSHA macrumors newbie

can you get me one? i can send you money via paypal

16. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

They are preunibody white MacBooks (NOT ALU) and yes, they are selling them. They are in pretty terrible cosmetic condition (cracks, scratches, dents, nicks etc) but their body physically strong and they are practically usable. Apart from looking like **** and having stickers all over them, their all good.

17. simsaladimbamba

You could use one as server I suppose, I did so with my MB before I sold it.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hmmm, then something is off on your specs. The only MacBook with a 2.0 GHz C2D and 256 MB shared graphics memory (as specified in your original post) is the aluminum unibody MacBook. If you ignore the graphics memory, then it's either the high-end late 2006 or the low-end mid 2007.

Don't forget that if the top case is cracking, Apple will replace those for free.

19. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

:eek: Absolutely awesome deal. I wouldn't mind one myself! As others have said, I would buy every one! The bad guy in me thinks of profiting, and the good guy is thinking about the best collection of family Christmas gifts ever.

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Who cares? You could still re-sell them for a huge profit.
    If you want it for personal use, buy a case for the outside, use a Magic Eraser on the inside (except the screen, of course... you can use iKlear on that).

And, either way, if the palmrest or bezel is cracked, bring it to Apple for a free repair/ replacement.

Only a fool would not scuff up as many of these as he could afford from the school at that price.

----------

How, exactly, is it bad to buy these for the honest price they are asking and simply listing them for sale on Ebay for a profit? By your logic every business is "bad" and Steve Jobs was a horrible person. What is wrong with making a profit? I'm sure you'd have enough to buy Christmas gifts and then have some left over. Nothing "bad" about it.

21. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I think you misunderstood, I don't mean that business is Evil, but I look at this like the HP TouchPad firesale. Tons of people that genuinely wanted one to use missed out, while the little scammers of the world bought dozens only to profit. (Now, don't get me wrong, if I were on the other side of the fence, I'd be a happy little profit-mogul. :))

I don't mean I'd buy these instead of Christmas gifts, I meant to get them AS gifts. -- I'm not calling my idea bad in the sense that it's cruel and unusual, I just mean purely beneficial to me as opposed to purely helping others. That's all.

("Don't get your knickers in a twist." How did you get an insult out of what I said? Geez...)

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I'd buy them all in a heartbeat, no question. Forget one, get them all and make $$$.

23. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I'd buy 10, sell each for 150~200$ EASILY, and buy a high-spec'd MBP. :D

24. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, well, if they are still offering them for $50 when the end of the year comes round I'll get as many as my mum & the school will let me :) How many I can get my hands on depends on how many students will buy them... You see, the students get first dibs on their own laptop, so I can only buy the MacBooks that their owners don't want. ;)

25. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

sure, why not.