MacBook for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrismac00, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 17, 2007
    Hello, I'm new to MacRumors...I've been browsing this website for months, which is where I learned about Macs. They seem very good, but I'm not sure. I've been to the Apple Store once and to Bestbuy a lot of times to play around with them,but since the Apple Store is about an hour from my home, I go to BestBuy more often to see the MacBook, and the have the one with Tiger. So I have never played around with Leopard and my dad asked me a question. He asked me if I wanted a MacBook and I said okay, since he seemed to figure out that I like them and he said he will buy it for Christmas. He hasn't bought it yet, but he will probably go this weekend. Today, I saw a post saying that maybe a another version of the MacBook would be released in January for about $1500. I know my dad won't wanna pay $200 extra in January for a new ultra-portable MacBook or a new revision of the MacBook. So I need to know if you guys can help me. I wanna know If I should tell him to get me it or if he should wait. He wouldn't pay for the $1500 new notebook, but he would pay for a newly updated MacBook, which would most likely stay in the same price range. Right now, I asked him for the white MacBook, 2.2 Ghz, 1Gb ram, 120HDD. Is this the one I should get? My music library has about 2GB of music 2GB of video and I would like to edit and burn videos on iMovie. Please and thank you for your help!
  2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    That post was wrong. An aluminum Macbook isn't a Macbook anymore, but a Macbook Pro, and will be priced as such. There is no new Macbook, any more than the 12" Powerbook was a new iBook.

    If he waits, he'll have to wait until May, because the Macbook line probably won't be updated until then.

    If you're willing to wait until May for said revision, then ask him to wait. If not, you might want to leave things as they are.

    Yes, that size will be fine for your needs.
  3. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
  4. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Dec 17, 2007
    I went to Best Buy to see the MacBooks but they don't have the recently updated 2.2GHz. They have the 2.16 GHz. Is it a big difference or should i wait for them after Christmas to get the 2.2GHz, which has a SR screen too I think?? What is SR?
  5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030


    Oct 16, 2007
    i think your a little confused here. first off.if you want a macbook, bye one now! if you need to buy it from bestbuy wait until they get the new ones. other wise just buy it from there is going to be a difference. SR stands for Santa Rosa, which now allows for the maximum of 4gb of memory, and now has a much upgraded graphics. still integrated but much better than what was in there before.
  6. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    The SR MacBooks have new keyboard controls, graphics card and a reduced weight. I'd hold on for one, especially if the 2.16 is being sold at the same price.

Share This Page