Macbook from NYC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dino26, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dino26 macrumors 6502

Im coming over from Scotland to NY in less than 2 weeks and was wanting some advice about buying a macbook i am a complete newbie to apple and there macbooks

I have some questions

1- Is leopard the pc version of windows

2- When i turn it on for the first time is there loads of stuff i need to sign up for give email and that carry on

3- the UK power chord ? , would i not just need to use a travel adaptor i think the voltage for a macbook is 100V - 240V AC

4- Is the apple warranty worldwide

5- When you download programmes on a PC you click run , verifys run install is this the same for the mac , I mean most downloadable software that you get online can the mac download like spotify and other software

6- How good is the graphics card in it , good enough to play pc games on

7- are PC games region locked

8- Ive heard tales of macbook cases cracking has this been resolved with the new updated spec model

9- When in the apple store do you think they would let me open it there and a sales assistant help me configure it there so its all good to go.

10- The $999 price is that including tax ? (Im sure after over $100 you dont get charged tax)

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

1 - it's the Mac version of Windows.
    2 - You need to give your e-mail address once, to register the laptop with Apple. Macs don't come with any junk pre-installed.
    3 - I think you can just buy Apple's travel pack for $40 USD - but I may be wrong.
    4 - Yes.
    5 - There's downloadable software for the Mac, including Spotify
    6 - I'd say it's good enough for basic games, but someone else can probably give more information about that.
    7 - Doubt it, but not sure.
    8 - Not sure.
    9 - Most likely
    10 - Nope - in the US sales tax is added to the final price. NYC sales tax is 8.375%.

3. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so its gonna cost about another $83 on top of that so $1024 in total

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good advice above, but will add:

1) Windows is a poor imitation of Mac OS. However, there are some nuances that may confuse you if you are coming froim Windows. Either schedule a Genius appointment to walk you through it, or look at the info here: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    2) See above
    3) Save your money, any travel adapter will work.
    4) Warranty is worldwide, but details of how to utilize it may vary by country.
    5) Download and install similar to Windows, but usually simpler.
    6) The latest graphics-intensive games will not run full FPS on this machine.
    7) No
    8) The old plastic cases cracked. The aluminum ones scratch and dent if abused.
    9) You can take it out and jump up and down on it once you've pruchased it for all they care.
    10) Tax is applied to entire purchase.

5. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about world of warcraft :eek:

What would you go for the white ones or silver

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Don't bother with a travel adapter.

The power packs switch between 110 and 240 automatically and you just need one of these cables:
    [​IMG]

I ended up buying an american one from a Radio Shack when I stayed over there, it was only $5, so when you're back in the uk, you could get one from Maplin/Asda/B&Q for no more than £5, it feels a lot more secure than an extra adapter too.

You'll be a little surprised by the way most software installs in OSX. You download, it opens a window and you drag it to the applications folder. It's a cleaner way of installing for most apps as to uninstall the application, you just move it to the trash. Things like WoW will probably use an installer though, which you'll be more familiar with.

I would go with the aluminium one, only because the edges won't crack, and if you ever want to upgrade the hard disk, it's really easy.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Also,

If you haven't been to NYC before, don't get too bogged down by the 'Apple pilgrimage'.

NYC is an amazing place and has so many things to see. Even if you don't like Baseball, try to catch a Yankees or Mets game. Tickets in the bleachers tend to be really cheap, and its a great atmosphere. The Staten Island Ferry is free and gets you some brilliant views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

Go to Brooklyn Heights if you can, it has some amazing views of the skyline. When walking through midtown, you will probably be in awe of the buildings. Canary Wharf would be a small building compared to everything there. The Rockefeller centre is huge. Times Square is massive and bustling full of people. It's amazing, but I don't really like quite how busy it is.

Get some NYC Pizza, $4 for a slice and a drink at most cheap places, I went to one near NYU/Washington Square Park and it is like 2x the size of a slice from domino's, the sauce, dough and cheese are all made fresh and it tastes amazing.

Manhattan isn't the only part of New York, there are beaches in Queens and Brooklyn, there's a huge park in Queens and it has the Mets' stadium and the stadiums for the US Open Tennis, Flushing Meadows is where there was a World's Fair in the 60s and theres this huge Globe there.

I personally love that city and the sooner I can get to live there, the better!

9. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL this is my 3rd time to NY , I got tickets for yankees v red sox and mets v cardinals.

I know i dont really want to be comparing macs to other pcs on here or anything but i just wanted to ask for the members opinions , buy a macbook for $1083 or buy a Sony Vaio CS for $921

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

:) Awesome. next time I go will be during the Football season, so I can experience that.

In reply to the Sony vs the Apple, I would go for the Apple. The build quality of both are comparable, but OSX is much nicer to use after the 1st week of using it.

11. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the silver macbook costs more ? , Is this cracking of the plastic macbook case a guarantee or has it been better in the newer models because this seems to be the main bad side for me

12. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

When i go up to purchase it do i need to say "im looking to buy a 2009 macbook with the latest specs" cause i was reading another topic and heard something about a guy at apple trying to flog opff the older models first ?

13. stranger danger macrumors member

Just say you'd like the MacBook Pro, specify which screen size, and verify that it's the model with an SD-card slot. You should be good to go from there. Personally I'm envious that you're going to be living in New York City. I'm from San Francisco and would trade that for living in NYC any day!

Are you looking to get the 13" model? If so, just say you'd like the 13" MacBook Pro (verify that the word "Pro" is on the box and all) since the older versions didn't have the word "Pro" on them.

14. Mhmm macrumors member

There's only 1 model of MacBook in stores. This model has been out for a while and I very much doubt they still have the old ones in existance. Just ask for the $999 MacBook and you should get what you're looking for.

The cracking problem, as far as I know is still there, but it's not as common as one would think from reading these forums; treat it with care and you should be fine.

The "silver Macbook" was discontinued and replaced by a Macbook Pro, which will cost you $1199 or $1499 depending on the model you want.

15. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its just the 13inch macbook (white) not the macbok pro

16. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

How good is the graphics card you get with it , im just looking for something decent to play videos online and play a few pc games

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

4 - Yes for the Macbook.

6 - Many PC gams will run, only a tiny percentage of PC games actually need a lot of graphic and CPU power.

7 - Not in the sense of US/UK not being compatible.

10 - As well as the sales tax already mentioned being applied to your whole purchase you are also required to pay VAT on the total price (including the US sales tax). This would put the price at £760 with today's exhange rate. Whether you do the whole throw away the box and stuff it in your suitcase avoidance thing is up to you.

18. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

If your worried about the macbook's plastic cracking, pick up a incase or applesac/colcasac (my recommendation) and store it in there when traveling / not in use.

19. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Since your whole purpose of buying the US is to save yourself money, I assume you aren't planning on declaring it at customs when you return to the UK. If that is the case, then I suggest you take the Macbook out of the box and put it in a computer bag for your trip home. That way it looks like you owned it before and took it on holiday with you.

Not that I condone fraud.

20. Mhmm macrumors member

It's an Nvidia 9400M, I don't have first hand experience with it, but from what I've read in my time here:

It will stream videos online great; but will not run the latest (probably the last couple years of) games on max settings.

If you're set on an Apple notebook, and want a different card, the cheapest option is the $1999 15.4" Macbook Pro, which I imagine is double the budget you were initially after.

21. dino26 thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean :confused: , I thought it was $999 at the apple store then they charge you the NY state tax which brings it to about $1083 ?

Thats all i need to pay in the store right ?

22. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, in store you will have to pay $1083. However, when you return to the UK you will be required to pay VAT/Import Duty. See my earlier post.

23. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

"PC games" won't install on OS X. You would have to buy the Mac version, assuming they make it for OS X.

Also there are some differences on the keyboard between the US and UK Mac's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Like posted before, just get a laptop bag for your MacBook and put the box into your luggage to try to avoid VAT.
    If you would pay VAT, then your US MB would cost almost as much as buying it in Scotland I guess.

25. mdgolom macrumors 6502

What, he's going to by the US? With our debt, I really doubt he's going to be saving any money. You might want to try renting us first. :D

sorry, just couldn't resist.