MacBook gaming question??

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by judasrising2209, Jun 4, 2009.

1. judasrising2209 macrumors newbie

Hey. I'm getting a macbook (2.0ghz model) soon and I plan to play some windows games (empire total War, dawn of war 2) on it through bootcamp. Which version of Windows (xp or vista) should i get and would these games run well under ther mac? thanks in advance!

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Without any doubt you want WinXP! Check out the Mac Rumors Windows Gaming on a Mac FAQ specifically section 7.6 "Macbook, is it for gaming?" and the included links. Also section 5.O "Game Performance via Bootcamp" which has some game titles listed for various Mac hardware.

Regarding your question, I think the titles you mention will run ok, but hopefully someone who really knows will answer. I say "yes" to the MacBook as a gaming machine, now more than ever, however the most demanding AAA games like Crysis or The Witcher may not/will not run on it adequately. Whenever possible download a demo first and give it a whirl prior to purchase.

3. manmeet macrumors member

do not do that

Hey, dude do not do it because I have done it but it was like **** damn it, man so don't do it and play games like call of duty 1 to 5 and tony hawk pro skater 1, 2 and 3, hope you will like it....

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I can't even make sense of this post...

If your going to play games on macbook bootcamp is the way to go for sure. However the version of windows is up to you. If you have an extra copy of XP or Vista lying around, great, go for it. But if I were you I'd consider using Windows 7. Its free (till next March I believe), runs very well, and plays games just fine and dandy.

To see if your game will play well, like someone suggested download a demo if possible. OR go to the website at the bottom and pick your game and click "Can you run it". It scans your hardware and compares it to the specs for the game. If your rig passes the 'recommended' specs then you'll be able to play the game on med-high settings. If you don't pass 'recommended' but pass the 'minimum' then you'll probably be able to squeeze by on the bare minimum settings possible.

I play L4D in Windows 7 on my unibody macbook at high settings and it plays very well IMO. 45-50 FPS. :)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

5. dan o macrumors newbie

can't install empire total war on mac

Just bought empire total war which I have tried to install on my macbook which has windows software - no luck.
    disk is working, but the setup icons are just black boxes and when clicked - 'there is no default application specified to open this document ....'
    HELP Please

6. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^Do you mean you have bootcamp and windows installed? If so then you have to boot into windows, you can't just run a PC game from the Mac side (except on Crossover) same goes for VMWare Fusion/Parallels, you need to boot into them to run a PC game.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There maybe also an issue with how new your MacBook is. In the last year or so MacBooks with the x3100 chipset started supporting Shaders 2. Some games require Shader 2 support and if you have an older MacBook it won't run the games that require Shader 2.

8. judasrising2209 thread starter macrumors newbie

what's better for gaming actually? the 2.0 ghz macbook or this Hp.

2.53ghz processor, 4 gb ddr2 ram, 1gb nvid geforce GT 130M

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

This. No question.