Macbook getting slower and slower

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bones85, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bones85 macrumors newbie

Recently my macbook pro has been getting slower and slower, It just took literally 10minutes to load up to the log in screen and then another 5 minutes to log in after i've put the password in

also if i have safari open and have say 3 tabs and then open another app like iTunes or iMessage, it just near enough dies on me! (rainbow cursor) and i end up having to either wait ages or turn it off by the button!

I even get the rainbow cursor when i'm typing. e.g what i'm typing now it's come up at least twice!

i uninstalled ad-block and it made no difference at all

i can't even play the latest football manager game because it just takes forever to load up when it shouldn't because my specs are good enough!

Any ideas what it could be? my thought would be i need to upgrade the ram
    here's the specs of my mac

2.5GHZ intel core i5
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    OS X Version 10.9.5

Activity monitor open and kernel task is taking up the most memory (401.8mb) followed by safari (208mb)

Disk Utility has been checked and everything was fine
    i've got nearly 400 GB out of 500GB hard drive space left

Can't upgrade to yosemite either because it just freezes when i click get free upgrade, rainbow cursor up and non responsive macbook!

Getting really inpatient with it now!

----------

plus if it's any help, it seems to have deteriorated a lot more since i last uploaded photos using iPhoto (which i now can't even load up without the mac freezing!)

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Try
    • all the cleanup features of ONYX
    to really clean the mac

if the problem prevails, maybe a harddisk issue. For this try

• the hardware check with the startup CD (or similar if no CD)

Generally, OS X does regular cleanups at about 02:00, if your mac is off at that time the cleanup does not occur.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would guess your hard drive is dying

I would guess that the HD in your macbook is dying. Use the apple hardware diagnostics on start up. Do a repair permissions and see how it looks.

It could be a good excuse to upgrade to an ssd with only 100gb used and ssd's currently at around $130 for 256gb it will make your mac a much more responsive machine.

It could also be a sofware issue have you installed anything recently that may be having troubles??? Uninstalling any recently downloaded apps can be a first step if your HD looks fine.

4. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't even run anything on onyx without the dreaded rainbow coming up!

Was thinking myself it could be the HD dying on me how do I get the diagnostics up on start up?

Nope nothing I can think of? It has been slower since the last software update too

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

6. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ran the hardware test, looks like it could be a faulty ram stick!

which makes sense i suppose! least now i've got an excuse to upgrade the RAM to 16GB from 4GB :D

7. Samuelsan2001, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

16 gb expensive

2 8gb sticks are quite expensive at the moment, I would upgrade to 8gb, and use the oppurtunity while you have it open to putin an ssd as well. This is almost always a much better upgrade than a RAM one as if you don't use 16gb of RAM (clearly not as 4gb has been fine) then it is wasted RAM. Use the savings on an SSD Crucial MX100 or Samsung EVO, this upgrade will speed up everything your computer does and mavericks and yosemite seem to work much better on SSD equppied macs...

Check out prices

16gb

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...9&sr=8-1&keywords=ram+upgrade+for+macbook+pro

8gb

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8...9&sr=8-6&keywords=ram+upgrade+for+macbook+pro

SSD 256gb

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100...F8&qid=1417607645&sr=8-1&keywords=mx100+256gb

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep wish I knew you were in the UK so am I

Yeah an ssd and the 8gb is the sweet spot upgrade on that machine for almost any normal workload.

Uk ram is £116 for 16gb and £66 for 8gb.

That will almost cover the cost of the ssd.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy an SSD.

Problem solved.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:
    What year of production is the MacBook?

Did it come with OS 10.9 installed from the factory, or did it come with an earlier version of the OS?

12. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a mid 2012 model i think, can't remember what OS it had when i got it

Ordered my ram now, i'll get an SSD after christmas

13. GameFreak348 macrumors regular

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ Ordered my ram now, i'll get an SSD after christmas ]]

RAM probably isn't going to make much of a difference, but the SSD -will- result in an improvement.

Others will disagree with my next suggestion, and it is my opinion only:
    If your MBPro is capable of running OS 10.8.5, install that.
    It will be far, FAR faster than Yosemite.
    The speed problems, beachballs, etc., will be GONE.
    Again, my opinion only, and others will disagree, some vehemently...

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I will disagree vehemently solely for security issues alone.

The XSLCmd malware affects ML, but not Mavericks or Yosemite.

It's always prudent to keep yourself safe by installing the latest OS.

Security is paramount and above everything, even performance (my 2¢).

16. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very strange but I did another hardware test and it came back with no faults, still the ram has been ordered anyway so hopefully will be here soon

17. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

And it's just deteriorated even more I can't open anything now without the cursor coming up and it near enough freezing

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may have a dying hard drive. Hopefully, you have a current backup.

19. bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't :confused: I haven't got anything to back it up to!

20. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ i don't I haven't got anything to back it up to! ]]

Then you had better GET SOMETHING, and GET IT SOON!

Consider ordering an SSD. For $80 you can get a Crucial 240gb m500 series drive from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...=dealnewscom&ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    (disclaimer: I have no financial interest in above link)
    There is also a 480gb version for $160.

You'll also need an external dock in which to "prep" the drive. Something like this will do:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Free-Ina...707218&sr=1-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+sata+dock
    (again, no financial interest)

You would probably do best to install a clean copy of the OS onto the new drive.
    Then, set up a new, "temporary" account (name it "administrator", and give it an easy-to-remember password, like "macbook"). This is just to get you "logged in and going".
    Then, update the OS and Apple apps using Software Update.
    Then, use "Migration Assistant" to move your apps, accounts, settings and data from the internal drive to the (new) docked drive.
    You can boot from the external drive by holding down the option key at bootup until the startup manager appears.

Next, you can "swap out" the old drive for the new one.
    Use the ifixit.com installation guides to see what to do.
    If it's anything like changing the drive on the 2010 MacBook Pro, this is an "easy peasy" operation -- hardest job is unscrewing the screws.
    One thing: BE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB.
    Should be a Phillips #00 and a Torx T-6 (check ifixit to be sure).

Again, if the internal drive appears to be failing, DON'T WAIT to order up a new drive and do something about it!

Final thought:
    You WILL very much like the performance improvement the SSD gives you -- it will feel like a new laptop!

21. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-2588US...imized+For+SSD
    is ok? ]]

The enclosure you posted the above link to is out-of-stock according to amazon.

Again, I would suggest a USB3/SATA "docking station" like I provided a link to above in post #21.

Although these are a bit larger and don't look as snazzy on your desk as would a sleek "external case", you will find it MUCH EASIER to use while trying to get the drive setup, etc. I cannot recommend a device like this highly enough when someone is in a situation as you are in now. No assembly required. If you can put bread into a toaster, you can get the USB3/SATA dock up and running in about 15 seconds....

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

23. bones85, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

bones85 thread starter macrumors newbie

bear in mind i'm on uk amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dodocool®US...713305&sr=8-2&keywords=[USB+Tool-Free+Support

that then? the dc09 or dc10?