Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bones85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
dock and ssd drive ordered!
both should be here by saturday plus the ram too

bones85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
ok guys my SSD and docking station has arrived, now i'm gonna plug the SSD in through USB and transfer everything over from the HD to it and then take the cover off and swap them over

is it just a case of copy and pasting HD to SSD ? do i need to format the SSD? how do i do that?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
ok guys my SSD and docking station has arrived, now i'm gonna plug the SSD in through USB and transfer everything over from the HD to it and then take the cover off and swap them over

is it just a case of copy and pasting HD to SSD ? do i need to format the SSD? how do i do that?

No, it is a bit more than that.

Do a command-r boot to recovery and start Diks Utility. Now go to the Erase tab and select the new SSD in the left column. Now pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown on the right then apply that format.

No go to the restore tab and drag the HDD volume into the source tab and the SSD volume into the destination tab then click restore. That will clone the HDD to the SSD.

When that is done restart and hold the option key to select the SSD to boot from to make sure it works okay. If all is well do the swap then restart off the now internal SSD then go to System Prefs and set the SSD as the boot disk in the Startup Disk pane.

Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.