Macbook Glass Removal / LCD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jatienza3, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jatienza3 macrumors newbie

So a few weeks ago I decided to do a little project since I came up on some money, and I wanted to share with you guys how to remove the lcd..

I bought a water damaged macbook unibody (originally purchased Jan. 29) from ebay for $550. After cleaning the logic board and the rest of the internal components, I reassembled it and put it back together and it booted up perfectly. But the only issue was that the backlight of the LCD did not light up, leading me to believe that it was a bad inverter board or the LEDs shorted out. Anyway, I tried one of my friends' top lids and it worked.

My next dilemma was how to replace the LCD inside... since a replacement top lid cost $600 from ifixit/techrestore/missionrepair... I decided to take the plunge and remove the glass myself(without breaking it). Here it is, also a link to the youtube vid I made:

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYu40hH9JIg

You need 2 things to get the glass off...

1. GPS suction cup (or any glass suction peripheral)
    2. Thin Bendable Plastic, from misc. product packaging(in the video I used a xbox controller packaging plastic)

First, you place the suction cup on the top left corner of the screen. Apply force by holding on to the metal lid part and pulling gently....do not pull too hard or it will crack.After tugging a few times, there will be a small opening. take the sharp plastic and slide it downward toward the hinges.. do the rest of the sides as the video instructs.

To replace everything back together, You will need some Adhesive transfer tape. The specific one I ordered was this:
    http://www.drillspot.com/products/451216/3M_465_Adhesive_Transfer_Tape

I ordered the LG Phillips LCD since it was cheaper...anyway, good luck to those who wanna try!

2. HONDAxACURA macrumors regular

Nice job man. Now I'm thinking of replacing my macbook screen with those newer, better contrasting ones.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's if you can find them at a good price.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The important part of this thread is the adhesive tape.

Don't let companies that claim "PROPRIETARY ADHESIVE/GLASS REATTACHMENT!!!!" fool you into thinking it's impossible for the everyman to do.

It's simple adhesive. While I do not recommend doing this if you don't have the prior experience, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE by any means. I totally understand convincing people not to try it on their own, as a good 20% of what I get to fix is stuff people attempted and failed, making it more difficult.

I tried with one and used this doodad I have that allowed a playstation 1 to not slide off a glass table, it had four suction cups on it, only two actually would work since a playstation is wider than the LCD, but it was surprisingly effective. A tool that came with my hakko 808 proved excellent for prying inbetween thin things.

Also be wary of buying replacement glass. A lot of people sell plastic, but say it's glass. Do not buy from someone without knowing someone who bought from them before who received actual GLASS!!

5. impreza98 macrumors member

Please keep us updated with your progress! I really can't stand the 9c89 screen. Where are you going to obtain the new panel? I tried searching ebay but all I see are generic panels.

6. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Now I wish some 3rd party company would make a Aluminum bezel for the entire apple line! (Matt Screen)!

I used the same method to see if the polycarbonate was removable on my
    24" LED Display!

Its a different monster without the glassiness! OMG!

I love the look of the matt 17" macbook pro!

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

sweet. let us know if you get a lead on an affordable LCD. The screen is my only gripe with my late 2008 macbook.

8. impreza98 macrumors member

If you search for a thread about retrofitting a MacBook Air screen you'll see that a guy had a custom aluminum bezel made from a company called fromtpanelexpress. He said it cost him only $75 too.

Take a look at page 17 of the "post your setup" thread in the picture gallery too. A member installed the glass MacBook pane on his MacBook Air. So one would assume that you could use the aluminum bezel of the MBA on the UMB once the glass is removed.

In any case this thread has me really interested I really hope the OP keeps us up to date on this repair.

9. jatienza3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I settled for the LP133WX2-TLC2 (Only $150), as that is what my budget allows, it's not the greatest, but it has better black levels than the TLC1 (Early 2008). Theres a few people I know who were selling the better looking AU optronics B133EW04 V3, but it was going for $260...

F that.. I need a laptop now. But I will update you, maybe i'll stumble across some more money in the future and buy the AU optronics.

What sucks is, my LCD shipment has been delayed till monday because of stock shortage from "rebound group trading", the company I ordered the TLC2 from. Once I get it, I'll post another video on reconnecting the LCD as well as the overall quality of the panel. Perhaps it might help someone in the future.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

11. Endeer macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I had a cracked LCD under the glass, so estimated there's nothing I can make worse, so tried this. I'd like to report that I have failed and having seen the amount of force required to eventually deattach the glass from the glued parts, I highly doubt this is possible without bathing the panel first. It didn't move at all (and I mean it) when crack in the glass appeared.

(if anyone happens to source new glass, which is really glass and not plastic, please send me a note, thanks)

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Can you describe the procedure and tools you used in detail to fail at removing the glass?

13. Endeer macrumors newbie

Actually, if it really is possible, then take great care to always pull at the very corner, which is what might have caused the crack to appear, I only had smaller suction cups available, and it kept popping of very easily, so after trying for some time, I eventually attached some round wooden block with strong double-sided tape to the display. There was a little gap between it and the corner (I did pull more towards the corner side of the wooden block). Also might be good idea to warm the area up, so that the adhesive is weakened (by some less destructive method than using liquid).
    It would be also nice to hear how long it took the people here to make the opening.

14. jatienza3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to hear the unfortunate incidient. But yes, this is very possible, It took me about 15 minutes to detach the glass from the top lid. And the corner I pulled from, based on my observation, is the optimal corner to pull from because there is an adhesive gap and it does not have the bluetooth, isight, and airport cables. And yes, The suction cup must be attached closest to the corner.

As for my computer, The LCD came in and it has been reassembled and repaired. I will be posting up a video follow up as well as a recap.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

excellent. Can you link to the site where they're selling the AU optronics LCD?

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Be very careful. Companies will put the name and model of it all over the ad and in the title of an ad but in fine print it will say they sell a "compatible" LCD, which will be even worse than the old LG.

This is quickly becoming common practice for many suppliers. This doesn't matter for the lower end junk since they all look equally bad. However, when the sole intention of the replacement is an upgrade in quality, ordering one that claims to be model X when it is really model Y, when it costs $250, will be a huge disappointment.

Make sure to ask questions before you buy.

17. spirochete macrumors newbie

Glass removal - Macbook.....

Interesting post but I think your experience in getting the glass out might well be the exception rather than the norm'.....

Spent some considerable time today trying to get the glass out of a Macbook with a defective display....... glass vacuum grips / 45 mins with a small heat gun to soften the adhesive / razor blades in the edges to apply gentle pressure / ultra careful not to overdo it - but the glass still shattered and hadn't budged even a fraction of a millimetre.

Perhaps the displays are assembled at different plants / different adhesives used and its luck-of-the-draw as to whether you get an 'easy' one or not, but there was no way this one was coming out without breaking.

Just like to add that I've replaced large numbers of Apple laptop screens over the years and am well versed with the care and dexterity needed for this sort of work, but these are, from what I've just experienced, likely to be non-user-serviceable for the vast majority of people.... so be warned.

Interesting post anyway.

:)

John Hill

18. JPivlit macrumors newbie

anybody have any luck finding a true glass (not plastic) lens for the macbook?

19. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I've set up a field trip this Friday to a ton of glaziers. I am bringing the original glass along with me. I'd like to have enough copies made to start repairing unibodies w/ broken LCDs & glass using the new AU LCD & glass for $350. Paying $155 for one piece of glass is rape.

If it pans out well I am considering selling excess at cost to people who want to fix their own machines.

20. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This AU LCD panel is equivalent to which MB panel number? 9C_ _ or is it a different one all together?

21. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

9CA8

22. JPivlit macrumors newbie

23. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Wow, that was my target price to get my own glass made, except here, there'd be no actual work on my part.

I'm grabbing some of those. I'll give details as to the quality when I receive them.

24. JPivlit macrumors newbie

just got the glass but before i go on a tirade that might not be necessary, can somebody tell me if the original glass was somewhat flexible? just got mine in and it flexes. missionrepair confirmed it was glass before i ordered. they said that's where they order their repair supply from.

25. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Mine flexes and it is an original.

There are many different kinds of glass. This stuff is made so that when light shines in it you don't see green things, etc - glass covering a screen is different than glass for a coffee table. When it is this thin, that's perfectly normal.