MacBook goes black :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by embalmess, Aug 20, 2008.

1. embalmess macrumors member

I JUST got my black MacBook yesterday and if I BARELY bump it, it goes to black like in "sleep mode". This is sure frustrating.... any tips??

p.s. I did not get AppleCare, but don't I have some warranty for at least 30 days or something? (I know,I should have asked when I purchased it).

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Apple. You have a 1 year warranty. It sounds like the inverter is going bad.

3. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

Apple...

Are they open 24 hours? When I had applecare for my last one, they closed at 6pm, grrrr.

What is the number to call all night?

4. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Wow, sounds like a hardware issue. You should get it to a genius asap.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

Oregon.

The poster above said get it to an expert ASAP, it's brand new. Couldn't I take it back? Or am I screwed since I didn't get applecare? (which I have one year to purchase)

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it's been less than 14 days, you could just take it back to the store and exchange it.

You aren't screwed, you have a 1 year warranty, after that AppleCare takes over(if you bought it).

The US number: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

8. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

GET THIS... now it won't work at all!!! I am on my old mac that I have on craigslist to sell (white one). Sheesh, I will go back to the store TOMORROW! I am so bummed :( Think I can just return it???

9. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

p.s. Robert....

Can you recommend a better MacBook that is similar to price? It's the black $1499 MacBook.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Take it back, and they will probably give you a new one right there if you bought it at an Apple store.

11. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help! Did you see my other question right above your response?

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Since it is a brand new machine they will just give you a replacement.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Should of got the white one.

j/k

They will replace it or give your money back if it is within 14 days.

Good luck.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The "blackbook" is really good, although, if you don't mind white and are able to do simple upgrades, the $1299 white one could be a better deal. For around $100 you can get 4GB of RAM to add, and for about $100-125 you can add a 320GB HD. Both upgrades are really simple, and take only a few minutes.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The white with the same specs as the black is still $100 cheaper. You pay an additional $100 for the color black.

I guess it just depends on what color you like. I like black the best.

16. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

The "blackbook" is the one I purchased, so that model IS a good one? I just got a dud then? Gosh, what are the chances it happens again if I simply trade it in.....

Also it came just back on after I had it closed for a few minutes, all I did was barely bump it when I set it down. Grrrr : /

17. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

Hof, I do like white, but every model I have had then upgraded has been white, just wanted a change :)

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The chances are small that it'll happen again, unless you normally have bad luck. :D

19. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No problem, what I'd do in your situation is keep the black, upgrade the ram (less than $100) and then when the HD fills up, upgrade it. (They should have 500GB drives at a decent price by then.)

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

It's all part of the mac experience I suppose. You know it's getting bad when you turn on a brand new mac and your wallpaper is set to someone in the factory. :rolleyes: :apple:

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

WTF? Did that happen to you?

I've had two issues with my MB, the inverter went bad (screen flickered) and the bluetooth module went out. All-in-all not bad, the were fixed quickly and painlessly. I normally have bad luck with electronics, :knocks on wood: this computer has lasted longer than any other I've owned.

23. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Lmao thank god not, but with all the new rumors and pics of the iphone 3g being shipped like that and a mac resfresh coming soon the macs cant be TO far down the line LOL. The only time I had a bad inverter was back when I was a pc user (dell). I did however have a really bad mac experience. Bought a MBP had nothing but kernal panics and had to return it, it was due to the air port according to console. I was the apple store's best friend because I told them the problem LOL needless to say I returned it for another one same thing! I ended up returning the computer waiting a few months and buying it again, It has been my baby ever since and typing on it right now =).

You can test real easy if its the inverter by plugging in an external monitor and see if the computer still functions. If it dosent power at all possible power supply/mother board (Logic Board) failure. Either way just swap out the computer for a new one as it dosent seem like theres a hudge number of these problems. You dont want to be the first with a centrino 2 MB and discover all the new problems for yourself =P.

24. embalmess thread starter macrumors member

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

With the complexity of today's electronics, nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time, there will always be defects. But normally, the chances of one person getting two defective machines is really small.