Macbook Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikel30, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

Hey maybe you guys can help me with a hard drive issue? My girlfriend's macbook was unexpectedly quitting applications, so I told her to try restarting her computer. It shut down but when it started back up, it got stuck on the Apple screen for about 30 seconds and then showed the "prohibited" sign. I googled some stuff and an Apple support doc recommended resetting the PRAM but that didn't help. Then it said to try doing an archive and install but that didn't work either. The drive wouldn't show up as an available hard drive.

I connected it to my macbook via firewire disk mode, and it shows up in Disk Utility, but with no volumes on it (or partitions), and it doesn't show anything on the desktop. When I try to open Drive Genius or DiskWarrior, they both get to "scanning for drives" and then beach ball until the bad hard drive is unplugged. If I restart my computer with it connected and hold down option (to select the start up disk), it won't load anything until I unplug the bad drive.

The drive is under AppleCare, but I would like to be able to access it just once more to pull a couple of files off. So I guess at this point, that's the goal. Does anyone have any idea of what else I can do?

much thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

By this info, either the HDD has become severely corrupt (magnet or some other force acting on it), or it has failed completely. Corrupt HDDs can be a pain to recover.

If the hard drive has failed, it is highly unlikely that you can pull off any files from it. If you have a back-up thru Time Machine, then that would be your best option.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like it failed.

Actually recovery can be done on failed drives but is in the four figures the last time I checked.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

four figures means lost, unless you really have will to do it