Macbook has been discontinued... how long until you upgrade from it?

Hexley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Apple consolidated the Macbook with the Macbook Air back in 2019. When will you upgrade from it?

macintoshmac

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
I am sure those who are using it are happy with it and, therefore, will upgrade when their needs are no longer met or their wants change.

Those who are using it and not happy with it are probably waiting for scissor-style keyboard in the 13" MBA or MBP at this point or considering if they should go all-in on a 16" MBP.

The MacBook 2016 onwards, even with the humble m3 was powerful enough for everyday office, entertainment, multimedia and editing requirements of a lot of people out there who did not want to scorch charts and compare benchmarks but just wanted to get their work done in a more than reasonable amount of time. The m5 was better. In 2017 it would have been improved further, I did not keep track. It was a great computer for (and with) its size and will serve the needs for a sufficiently long time.

In November 2016 I was contemplating a 12" rMB against a 13" MBP with Touch Bar and I picked the 13" MBP thinking it will serve my requirements better. Today I am of the opinion that had I picked the rMB, I might not have sold it as I sold my 2016 MBP since I am very happy with a 13" MBA from 2017 at the moment.

Last edited:

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
Good question. Going to hold on to me 2017 with 16gb of ram for as long as possible.

The 13" MacBook Air is too big (airplane usage) and too heavy and Apple keeps trying to cram iPad Pro down our throats as their ultraportable.

Last edited:

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Good question. Going to hold on to me 2007 with 16gb of ram for as long as possible.

The 13" MacBook Air is too big (airplane usage) and too heavy and Apple keeps trying to cram iPad Pro down our throats as their ultraportable.
I pass by Apple HQ everyday, and thus far nobody has come out and tried to shove anything down my throat, or tried to force me to buy anything.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
My 2017 runs jut as well today as it did out of the box. Maybe even a bit faster with the latest OS. Thus I’ll keep mine until an uneconomical repair or it start he’s getting too pokey. At that time I hope there is an improved ultra portable. (And no the current MBA ain’t it)

Reactions: macintoshmac

4sallypat

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I have the first gen 2015 rMB with M processor and love it.
It travels with me everywhere!

I'd like to find an i5 rMB 2017 to have just to have a backup....

Reactions: macintoshmac

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
I hope my 2017 Macbook lasts another 4-5 years.
Same, and I got it with 16 GB RAM, so RAM won't be an issue at all during that time.

Good question. Going to hold on to me 2007 with 16gb of ram for as long as possible.

??? How is the 13" MacBook Air too big if you have a 2007 MacBook? Actually I don't think you can install 16 GB RAM in any of those MacBooks so I assume you mean 2017.

However, I will likely be buying an 11" iPad Pro this year. I already have the 10.5" 2017 model, and I find it I use it the vast majority of the time. The MacBook is better if I need to use MS Office or something, but for content consumption the iPad Pro is much better.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
Same, and I got it with 16 GB RAM, so RAM won't be an issue at all during that time.

??? How is the 13" MacBook Air too big if you have a 2007 MacBook? Actually I don't think you can install 16 GB RAM in any of those MacBooks so I assume you mean 2017.

However, I will likely be buying an 11" iPad Pro this year. I already have the 10.5" 2017 model, and I find it I use it the vast majority of the time. The MacBook is better if I need to use MS Office or something, but for content consumption the iPad Pro is much better.
Sorry I meant to type 2017 MacBook. Though, I did at one point have a black 2007 MacBook that was awesome.

macintoshmac

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010

I am sure he meant 2017 MacBook. I am reasonably sure the MacBook that we had in 2007 could not be configured with 16GB memory. It has to be 2017.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I was planning to hold on to my 2017 MacBook 12 for several more years as it does not look like Apple will be revisiting it soon. I, however, found an ultraportable laptop that I replaced it with. My HP Spectre has stunning 13.3 inch 4K OLED display and it is arguably one of the best ultraportables currently on the market. It has several features that MB lacks but I would go back to Apple if screens could be close.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
There's still nothing like the 12" if you need the ultra-portability.

People often say that the Air and Pro aren't that much bigger, but when you look at the weights, the MacBook Air is only 300 grams more than the MacBook... and the MacBook Pro is only 120 grams heavier than the Air. That's over 400g difference from the MacBook to the Pro.

I often run to the office with a laptop, change of clothes etc and its amazing the difference a MacBook makes in this instance. Its the only laptop I can put in a rucksack and genuinely not notice its there - all the others I'm aware of a slab of metal being in the bag.

Reactions: EugW

pdxplm

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
Love my 2015 MacBook. Just recently had to replace the battery which I wasn't too happy about (70 cycles on it) but was excited when I got it back and started using it. Really powerful enough for casual stuff.

MandiMac

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
My 2017 runs jut as well today as it did out of the box. Maybe even a bit faster with the latest OS. Thus I’ll keep mine until an uneconomical repair or it start he’s getting too pokey. At that time I hope there is an improved ultra portable. (And no the current MBA ain’t it)
But ... but ... teh forums say Apple is loving planned obsolescence and OS updates are crippling Macs?! :D

Reactions: DNAppleGold

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
How so? The Air has the same screen only bigger. In my opinion, that’s better!
Wasn't there an issue, at least with the 2018 MacBook Air, where it came out with 300-nits of brightness, which is dimmer than the 350-nit MacBook display. Then Apple later decided to boost the Air up to 400-nits via a software upgrade, but it came out looking less saturated.