MacBook / iCloud Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MI MacGuy, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MI MacGuy macrumors regular

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and pick up a Space Grey rMB (512GB) from Best Buy after the lackluster keynote yesterday. To see that this process has gone smoothly since then would be a lie.

Get the machine home, turn it on and I notice it's still running Yosemite. Go to sign into my Apple ID. "A server error occurred. Unable to log in. Please try again." (or something similar). Try again a few times before I finally say screw it, skip the Apple ID and get in. Go right to the Apple Store and install El Capitan. From there, I go into recovery, wipe it and start again, this time will El Cap.

Go through the process again. This time my Apple ID works. Cool. Get logged in, ready to go when I realize Messages, Facetime and Handoff aren't working. Everything else is fine. Google around, try clearing NVRAM, restarting, another clean install, no change. Then I go to check to see if it's associated with my Apple ID online. Looks like Apple didn't register the purchase so I have to put in the purchase date. "We're unable to process your request at this time. Please try again."

Finally, I say screw it and call Applecare. They think it's related to the purchase date so he transfers me to that team, they get the date in and that's all set. MacBook shows up properly online now. However, still no Messages, FaceTime or Handoff.

Messages opens to a login screen where nothing occurs. Put in my info and it turns gray like it's trying to log in only to turn back black 2-3 seconds later with no explanation. If I skip it and try to log in in Messages > Preferences > Accounts, it shows my iCloud account as inactive. Trying to log in there gets it to log in for 10-15 seconds only to show "Error occurred during authorization" and it ends there.

I've NEVER had this many problems with a new Mac. Any ideas?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I get the same thing checking warranty coverage with my BB open-box, same error from Apple. Chat agent had issues too, not a big deal and i'll call them later this week.

Mine had El Cap already on and ready to configure. It's been just fine. Everything's working normally. iMessages and handoff are just fine, I've not used FaceTime yet though. For this reason I don't think these are connected with the warranty registration.

Personally I'd try another bare-metal reinstall and see if that solves the matter. If it doesn't, then I'd exchange it at BestBuy or take it to an Apple store for them to resolve.

3. pugxiwawa macrumors newbie

I have the EXACT issue with a brand new MacBook (not open box) I got from BestBuy. You described the exact steps I took to troubleshoot. I got it on El Cap and able to log in iCloud but could not for my life get Messages and FaceTime to login. I'm about to give up and just return it to Best Buy. I have many macs and this is the first time I'm having issue. Wondering if it's MacBook related.

4. BigCTM macrumors newbie

I have this same issue on an open box one from Best Buy.

5. BigCTM macrumors newbie

6. MI MacGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! Seriously, this was driving me insane. I've never had a Mac give me this much trouble out of the box ever so it was incredibly frustrating to try and work around. At first, I thought I'd just live without it but I use Messages on my Mac every day.

I see that their System Status now showed a 3 day time of disruption with FaceTime and Messages that appears to be over with but unfortunately, I've already got the MacBook packaged back up to go back to Best Buy this morning with a Surface Book on hold. Don't hate me - the laptop is for staying on retainer with a client that needs development help and a big part of it is Access. If they're paying for it, can't blame me for bumping up to a SB. :) I already have a rMBP too so that's my main machine.

I was definitely surprised and incredibly irritated though dealing with that issue. Imagine users that don't know how to troubleshoot or deal with it. Looks like there will be a influx of open boxes here shortly...

For me personally, even with the iCloud issues aside, the MacBook wasn't what I needed to begin with. I really wanted to give one a shot for portability and price but there's just a LOT of compromises with that machine. Fantastic design and literally weightless. The keyboard isn't terrible - it's definitely easier to get used to than I thought. But the processor speed and battery made things difficult for me. I personally noticed a BIG difference in processing power although I know some rMB don't.

Overall, great machine, just not for me. Glad I gave it a shot but with the iCloud issues thrown in, I'll look to something else.

7. BigCTM macrumors newbie

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just curious; how will you use Messages on a Surface Book? You mention the importance of iCloud and Messages as a factor in your decision, but then switch to a platform that supports neither. Am I misunderstanding something?

BTW here's a Macbook Pro user who experienced this same issue, so it was clearly not just MB related: New Mac Book Pro problems

Certainly fair; the MB is not the best solution for all users. It depends a lot on what you need to do with the system. If size and portability are the key factors, then it stands alone. If CPU/GPU capability is a key factors, then there are other choices better suited for your needs.
    Personally I've found the battery to be great, but again I'm not hammering the CPU either.
    In my case the MB replaces a 2011 MBA13 as my portable. I also have a desktop Mac, so the single port hasn't been an issue. A $5 USBC to USB3 adapter and a $7 USB3 SD card reader cover my needs for now.

9. MI MacGuy thread starter macrumors regular

I have another machine, a 15" rMBP, that I can rely on for that. If I'm on a Mac, I want those services to work properly was all. I have use for a Windows machine for Access, Visual Studio, etc. Definitely not switching my platform of choice, just saw a way to work with both.

Nothing beats the rMB in portability and size. Not even close. My bag felt empty when I was carrying it. The smaller screen size isn't terrible either, especially if you max out the resolution to what OS X allows.

Again, I'm definitely not saying I'd rather have a Windows computer or that the rMB was bad. It just so happened that I bought mine in the middle of an outage and identified pain points for me personally rather quickly.

10. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

New Macbook running Yosemite? What?
    How old of machine are you getting?

I fired up my brand new Macbook last night.......would not let me log in with my Apple ID (beach-ball spins forever).
    Tried 3x on the initial start, then finally bypassed it.

But could not sign-in once through the setup (my iMac signs in just fine with no issues).......called Apple and after 45 minutes they could not fix it either and suggested I return the machine.

Ran back to BB and returned it for a new machine......yet to fire this one up.
    Hope this one works better.

11. MI MacGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Tell me about it. I was shocked that a brand new rMB was running Yosemite out of the box. Had to have been a older unit that had sat a while.