Macbook in the USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spikeyjac, Aug 17, 2008.

1. spikeyjac macrumors regular

Hi I'm going to vegas in the xmas hols!
    Now I'm thinking of buying a macbook and bringing it back to the UK.
    Couple of questions :)
    1) Is it still covered by warranty?
    2) Has anybody else done this? What convertor do you use?
    3) Is there sales tax on top?

Thanks
    Jack

2. cristo macrumors regular

Should be: I think apple warranty is worldwide for portable devices.
    I was thinking of doing so when I was in Chicago, but then when I worked it out, it wouldn't have been much cheaper, especially seeing as though I qualified for the education discount here in the UK. You shouldn't need a converter, though, other than the standard US to UK pin adaptor.
    Yes.

3. spikeyjac thread starter macrumors regular

How do you qualify for the Discount as I'm going into sixth form now? And how much is sales tax?
    Jack

4. cristo macrumors regular

I'm not sure which colleges are applicable for the discount. It would be best for you to either call, or email Apple and find out. You could try here for more info.
    It differs from state to state, but is normally (I think) in the region of 6-10%. Someone from the US will probably be able to give more info on that.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, the warranty is world-wide; get a world wide socket pin adaptor (any Apple shop, airport, etc. stock them - I have a few), and that'll enable you to use the MB anywhere. Sales tax also applies. Good luck and cheers.

6. Setmatch macrumors newbie

7. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Just something to point out here, since you were wondering about sales tax. Some states in the USA do not have sales tax. This probably won't help, since it sounds like you're only going to Vegas, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Information about sales tax in each of the 50 states is given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

8. cristo macrumors regular

One other thing to think about is the exchange rate: if the current trend in the markets is anything to go by, it certainly won't be worth buying in the US in December.