Macbook is Gone

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jacobo007, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jacobo007 macrumors member

2. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Indeed. A sad but inevitable moment.

A two minute silence please...

3. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

Just noticed this a few moments ago. Had to double check since it was still showing up on the apple.com/mac page.

4. jellybean macrumors regular

Apple used to mock PCs for being nothing more than "dull, beige boxes." And now with the white MacBook gone, Apple's notebooks and desktops are just a uniform, monotone grey. How boring!! Yes, they're beautifully designed and constructed, but with all the MacBooks this same grey colour now the lineup just seems so boring :(

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I just noticed this myself on the apple site and did a double take. I really think the MB had a real place for those that wanted a Mac but didn't need all the bells and whistles and had a limited budget - like seniors who want their first computer or first mac.

It had a real place for some people and now I suspect those with a limited budget considering the move to Mac may just pass. A 11" just doesn't cut it for us older folks with poor eyes.

The basic MB for $899 or even $799 would help those on the fence with standard needs convert to Mac or get their first computer - NO more :(

6. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have been a life-long PC / Windows user who bought his first Mac in 2009. I bought a Macbook from my local Apple store. At the time, I didn't know that the Aluminum Macbook I bought was going to end up being "rare." I really like my unibody Macbook now and never understood why they only offered it for a very short period.

7. jacobo007 thread starter macrumors member

The white macbook was my first mac, there was no Macbook Air when i got it, given the choice i think most people would buy the Air, i know i would have.

8. jacobo007 thread starter macrumors member

They still sell it, it became the 13" Macbook Pro, prior to that there where only 15" and 17" Macbook Pros.

9. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

I feel disappointed, having been pretty bent on getting the next MB gen when it comes out... I'm not sure if I will like to purchase the MBP when my current MB completes its life cycle...
    But on the other hand, white MacBook owners can pride themselves on the ownership of an Apple antique in years to come!

10. Karr271 macrumors regular

something interesting i found is that they even removed it from the main page of the refurbished section, although it is still available for refurb sale.

11. unixperience macrumors regular

it is a pretty bad decision for mac new comers I think. Very few people who want a REAL laptop are going to pay 1000 for a macbook air with 11" screen, 2 gigs of ram, and 64 gigs of hard drive space.

12. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

13. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Sad day indeed. My wife and I own a 13 aluminum MB and I also have a 15 pro. In all honesty for day to day task I love the MB. I love the size and feel of it. I also know so many people here in my college town that own a white MacBook or an older black book. They should have kept these to stay in the lower price range for ppl who are students or just getting started in their career and need a reliable solid computer but can't afford a pro.

14. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I love my mid 07 black book. It's still going strong and even has 98% battery capacity!:)

15. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It was bound to happen ... the MB had a good run

Apple was probably tired of fixing the cracked plastic

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

adios macbook. i have a 13" mbp and probably would have bought an mb if apple would have refreshed it. i think there is a market for people who don't want to spend more than 1000, don't need ultraportable, and who want a decent sized screen (11 is kind of small), memory, and optical drive.

oh well. i think we suspected the 13" mbp or the mb would be on the chopping block soon.

i don't care a whole lot about the color when the mac aluminum unibodies are this incredibly well-designed. i just don't want to be forced to choose between only two lines of portables.

18. altecXP macrumors 65816

I'm gonna miss the white macbook. I really wanted to get one. Maybe I should run to my store today before it sells out.

19. WordLife565 macrumors regular

Only made sense tbh. The Air is getting better, and they could only sell that outdated white MB tech at that $1000 price for so long.

The only options were a price cut, upgrade it, or kill it.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Still think they'll bring it back in a smaller & cheaper form-factor. They need to scale their products with the economy.

21. iSmac macrumors member

Wishful thinking, RIP MacBook, 2006 - 2011 :(

22. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Then why not just call the air, macbook?

You have air and pro, but no regular macbook. there's something missing.

the ipod line would be lost without the classic variant. but if they ever do drop the classic, they should change the ipod touch's name to just ipod.

23. Jmclark macrumors regular

Still using my white Macbook right now. Shame they couldn't keep selling them but for $800-900.

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Same here, it's perfect for me, but I do have the option of buying my friend's MBP 15" C2D for 800 if I do return my white MB. Hmm..

25. Arthagnan macrumors regular

I have the 7.1 Unibody MacBook, just upgraded to 8GB of RAM. Runs great with Lion too. In these "Pro" days these plastic MacBooks are quite rare.