MacBook keyboard covers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macguymike, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

Hey, look, a thread that ISN'T about the MacBook Air! :D

I just bought a black MacBook. I've searched the forums but all the threads I've found on this topic seem to be dead ends.

I'm already planning on getting a Moshi palmrest to keep the top of the bottom case from getting all oily and shiny.

I'm also thinking of getting a Radtech Screensaverz to keep the keyboard from imprinting onto the screen and to wipe down the screen and case.

I would like something to keep my keyboard clean as well.

Right now, I'm looking at the iSkin and zCover:

http://www.iskin.com/protouchmb/gallery.tpl?cart=12004419541457524

http://www.zcover.com/zCover_Product_Keyboard_Cover_Apple_MacBook_zPrint.htm

I noticed on the iSkin site that they say the pre-printed covers (which is what I think I'd like) do not fit the MacBook revision that came out in November, though.

Opinions, pictures, suggestions all welcome. :)

2. BIK macrumors member

BIK

unnecessary

the wipe cloth that comes with your blackbook is sufficient for all cleaning needs.

They'll start selling third party macbook cover covers if people will buy them.

3. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose I should have been more specific. I don't want my keys to become shiny. I don't think the cloth will prevent that.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Honestly key covers get annoying. I had one for my MBP and I got sick and tired of it. It was also embarrassing when people asked what the heck it was and why I used it.

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I had the same phobia with the shiny keys.

6. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Have your keys become shiny since you stopped using the cover? How long have you had your MacBook?

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My wifes MacBook keys do show wear and do shine. On my Mbp the keys show wear also but that's cause I use it so much. I paid good money for a great machine I'm going to use it.

I've had both machines for about a year.

8. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'd rather at least see if I like it than totally abandon it to the trials of heavy use.

9. BIK macrumors member

BIK

every few days i wipe down the keyboard when the mb is off and it prevents shinyness

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Keyboard covers also block air intake. Next time your fans spin up, place your hand over the upper part of the keyboard, you'll feel the air being drawn in. An much as these things can get toasty as it is, I'm not up to taking the chance.

11. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's true, how do these companies get away with making a product that would hamper the machine's proper functioning?

12. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

I have the White MacBook. I went with iSkin, and love it. I have to buy a new one every 4-6 months, but it's well worth it. My keys look brand new.

It's a different deal with the black keys, though. So I'd listen to the people who posted before me before you listen to me.

I just know that iSkin's product has served me exceptionally well. The material is high quality, it fits the keys really well and after continued use it is barely noticeable.

My two cents.

13. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I agree. Although I have the mbp, iskin has worked outstandingly well as a keyboard protector.

14. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reviews. Do either of you notice your laptops becoming more hot or the fan coming on more often when the cover is on, like JohnNotBeatle suggests?

Does anyone know if you can cut slits into the cover so that it doesn't hinder the airflow?

15. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm using an iSkin as well on my MB and it doesn't seem to affect the cooling at all. yes the fan does suck in air from underneath the keyboard, but it takes most from the slits in between the base and the screen. The fan won't slow run any slower if you take it off in low usage (ie low temperatures), nor during high usage (ie high Ts) so it doesn't seem to make a difference if you have it on or not.

Fabian

16. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent. Thank you. :)

17. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

what he said ;)

18. JoelWhy macrumors newbie

I regret not having purchased some type of keyboard cover for my iBook, but not for the reasons everyone else is talking about.

I'm not concerned with my keys becoming shiny, etc. What bugs the heck out of me is all the dog hair, etc that gets lodged underneath the keys. I used to clean the insides regularly, but the hinges on a couple of the keys broke, so I am now missing the ESC and one SHIFT key. From the photos I've seen, the Macbook Air keyboard is a much better design.

19. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

As a cat owner who has invested in many lint-rollers, I feel your pain.

20. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Although you've probably gathered enough information here to make your decision, I've also had no heating problems or anything.

Go for it. It's a great $25 investment...keeps your stuff looking real nice for a much longer time.

21. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

Another thing I would consider getting if you are worried about the keys is a product I have on all my apple products is InvisibleShield I would get the full body link attached below

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html

This product is absolutely amazing! Do not even know its on and it does a great job protecting!

$0.02

22. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

RadTech ScreenSavrz is great! I've got the shagwire pattern, it is hot!

23. xo.carly macrumors newbie

My three cents. :)

I just got my Macbook Pro 13" Unibody last week, and have already spent about $200 buying protective accessories (I know, I'm a nut).

I just figure, if I'm investing that much money, I as well invest a bit more so it will generally last longer and look better if I eventually want to sell it.

I've bought: a full-body Zagg invisibleSHIELD (a no-brainer, I have it on all my gadgets), a hard case, a silicone case, a briefcase (I'm going to put the shield-clad Macbook in the hard case, which will go in the silicone case, in the briefcase), a trackpad cover, a keyboard cover (went with the iSkin and love it, especially the "antibacterial" protection), a wrist-rest cover, and a specialized Macbook-screen-cleaning liquid that won't damage the LCD.

What do you think? Am I paranoid enough? Oh, and I also bought AppleCare. :D

24. xo.carly macrumors newbie

Addition to my previous reply:

I know a lot of people on Macbook forums have iPhones, and I've had the 2G, 3G, and 3GS, so I know all there is to know and all the tricks there is to learn, so if you have any questions, I'd love to give back to the friendly + eager online forum community: feel free to email me at purpleglitterpen@gmail.com with any questions you have!

25. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr