Macbook logic board problem no backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by enzo74, Jul 7, 2013.

1. enzo74 macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I have macbook a1181 and backlight is not working. Invertor and cable is ok. But on logic board there is burnt element (resistor?).
    Anybody know what is that element? Or Datasheet for my logic board.

Attached Files:

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hello there,

whatever the burnt element is, it looks like you may need more than a datasheet. Then again, you might be the solder-wizard...

Incidentally someone here just posted some of the A1181's data sheets, but I do not know whether they correspond to your specific model.

Go get them :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1609380

RGDS,

3. enzo74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no problem to solder this smd element. There was probably a resistor, but I do not know the nominal value.

Your link is broken. Re-post it plz. Datasheet for A1181 will be exactly what i need. Thanks.

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Okay, seems someone's deleted the thread - no wonder, as the data sheets are marked confidential and proprietary...

Because the thread may have been deleted because of the infringing material therein, I won't repost - I don't need to get banned.

If you post your email here (as you're not yet eligible for private messages), someone may send you the schematics if they happen to have them...

RGDS,

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Yeah, it was marked Apple propritary etc.... I just wish it would be possible for Apple to allow people to check these things so they could make their own repairs when possible.

6. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I utterly agree - not that I really understand about electronics.

What stumps me with Apple's whole no-DIY repair policy is that I do not see a real economic rationale behind it. Surely, the miniscule loss of revenue (through lost sales of new units) would not outweigh the benefits.

I even checked with a pal who's done apple repairs for 20+ years, who says, apple has never given the schematics to repair shops, and that apple has discouraged licensed repair shops to do the kinds of ops the OP is referring to, even if and when apple has no longer been able to supply replacement parts.

Interestingly, I heard from another source ( a gal who worked for an apple repair outfit for a short time), that apple even sometimes demands the "broken" mainboards "back" from the repair outfit - She even told of a case when she had gotten hell, after having misplaced a "broken" (means it did not pass AHT) MBA logicboard after having installed the replacement (someone at :apple: screaming at her boss). She speculated, this might be to ensure that broken&fixed main boards would not enter the 2ndhand market. Beats me...

I understand, that for people like me, there is a strong impediment to get newer and faster gear regularly. That said, My dad's very happy with a 1st gen AlBook and I cannot help to think of the economic and ecological waste produced through planned obsolescence, limited availability of spares and generally making gear hard to fix...

A friend took part in a small organization - 15 active citizens of his 20k+ hometown "adopted" a small town in Gabon, then they went round town to gather "obsolete" electronics, everything from mobile phones to microwaves to philishaves - and sent a container of that stuff down there. Not surprisingly, the town was changed beyond recognition (sadly, so did the village's power consumption).

I wonder what the PR impact would be if Apple started a global program where people could (for no cost) return broken apple gear to the nearest apple partner, from where the gear would be taken somewhere for salvage (what can be fixed would be fixed, and what could not be fixed would be decently recycled) and the fixed apple gear would end up somewhere in a 3rd world setting (prob'ly through charities), where every economic planner at apple would be certain, that it would not cannibalize sale of new gear, but might instead create a rising demand in 20 years time...

An old classmate worked for UNICEF in Western Africa for a few years, and she said, that of all the global brands, Apple was most absent. Starbucks was there, McDonalds was there, Coca-cola was there, but whereas you could buy a pirated Windows 7 at every street corner, Apple was nowhere to be found.

Sorry for the OT... got carried away.

RGDS,

7. enzo74 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. enzo74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again!
    Many people email me about that problem. So i decide to answer that.

At that image u can see burn element. Color dot is connection between elements (i made it for myself)
    [​IMG]

That page from datasheet from apple for my macbook. Burn element is L9001.
    [​IMG]

It's not ressistor as i thought before.

L9001 is EMI Suppression Filter

I bought this one http://www.chipdip.ru/product/blm31pg121sn1l/ (sorry for russian). Technical specifications this smd 3A, 120 Ohm. Name of this smd BLM31PG121SN1L. You can buy the same or analog. Google for that.

But i want you to warn element like that not burnt by self, so before replace this element check inverter for correct work. Maybee there problem in inverter and thats why EMI Suppression Filter burnt.
    p.s. Sorry for my english.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would be worried about the state of your logic board. In your pictures, it is cluttered with dust. This is very bad. Lots of dust can mean metal particles that can cause shorts; also, overheating.